Learn Hacking - [Teaching style debate]

Our very own fight club!
DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

<statement removed> Make your point without name calling - Last warning- DNR <statement fixed> You are a butt. - leetnigga

Last warning leetnigga- no name calling in the forums. Also when an admin fixes your post, you maynot restore the content that was fixed due to a rule infraction.
READ THE RULES:
http://www.suck-o.com/modules.php?name=Rules

#1. "There will be no harassment of any user on suck-o forums nor the IRC. Such actions include the private messaging of insults, flaming, and degrading the user behind their back."
#10. "We will not tolerate any kind of disrespect against any staff member"

This warning was issued in the public forum as it occured in the public forum, was corrected, and then user violated the rule again.

People should be able to make their points without name calling.

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

new nick, same ways? this time I'll not wait as long as last time, just fyi.

leetnigga
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Post by leetnigga »

I changed "ass" to "butt". It was a joke.

The Clbuttic mistake: When obscenity filters go wrong.

Oh well... :)

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

keep in mind that not everyone has the same kind of humor... :lol: :P

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

I know you are smart enough to understand my intentions:

Just like name calling - a joke is inappropriate when it is directed at a person at their expense of their dignity.

sort of like the comment "leetnigga is neither elite nor streetwise."

While everyone might laugh at the above joke (or name calling), it is at your expense - therefore inappropos.

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

leetnigga

Post by leetnigga »

DNR wrote:I know you are smart enough to understand my intentions:
Just like name calling - a joke is inappropriate when it is directed at a person at their expense of their dignity.

sort of like "leetnigga is neither elite nor streetwise." While everyone might laugh at the joke( or name calling), it is at your expense - therefore inappropos.

DNR
Black is synonymous to streetwise? Dude, that's kind of racist :P

Anyway, yeah, I don't agree with your policies but I'll do my best to restrain myself.

Personally I prefer when people's posts are left alone. Let people be judged by what they have to say, not how they say it.
If the whole post consists of nothing but name calling, then you're free to point this out in your own post.
In my own posts I use it on the side. I think it's funny. People shouldn't take the internet so seriously.

Anyway, this is suck-o not leetniggaland, and let's get back on topic :P

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

People shouldn't take the internet so seriously.
Maybe some do.
Maybe some people should respect those that do take CIS/IT/'internet' seriously. I think maybe some skiddie sites would be more inline with _your_ policies.
Let the serious people do their work.

The intent of this thread started by Ph0 was to encourage people to take hacking seriously. Seriously people will not ask "how do I perform a kidney transplant - without the specifics of anatomy or medical knowledge" so it is hard to take all those PMs, IMs, and emails asking for this type of information. Ph0 had completely honorable intentions writing this post. Like someone said, a person should be judged by what they write, and not how they wrote it. Sometimes you have to look deeper into what they are saying.
The responses that I (according to my policy) might find acceptable are arguments in tactics of teaching, and statements of agreement or disagreement (without rebuking what another person wrote). Funny thing is, I was made admin because those are the same policies expected by BB and the rest of the suck-o forum.

I figure this post will not be included in the archives and dumped sooner or later. Too bad all this time was spent here and not writing worthwhile threads - thats why we moderate the forum I guess.

DNR
-

lilrofl
Siliconoclast
Siliconoclast

Post by lilrofl »

Moving the thread was probably the right thing to do...

Just a clarification before i spend my time more productively, I did not mean to imply that you cannot learn to be an outstanding hacker, just that you're not gonna do it without effort,

There is more I want to write, but I'm tiered and the phrasing just isn't cooperating so I'll leave it as the somewhat ambiguous statement it is.

Before I go, I would like to say that I personally respect the forum rules as important, it's what makes this site different, an environment that encourages the asking, seeking, and sharing of information... largely because I am for the most part too old to put up with the drama found in most hacking venues.

Lastly... are you SUUUURE I can't have the Green Lantern Ring... just...for...a....second?

leetnigga

Post by leetnigga »

DNR wrote:
People shouldn't take the internet so seriously.
Maybe some do.
Maybe some people should respect those that do take CIS/IT/'internet' seriously. I think maybe some skiddie sites would be more inline with _your_ policies.
Let the serious people do their work.
Christians in Science / Iced Tea? All kidding aside, I was referring to the insult part, not the content of forums. I like a quality discussion, and I think good points have been made in this thread. I don't think my insults have hurt the quality of my posts or discussion in general. Oh well.

Back on topic, I would be interested to know ph0bYx's answers to my questions:

What's your definition of hacking?
How is it different from mine?
Can you give an example of what you think is a good hack?

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

This is why the thread is over, Ph0 is not going to reply to your bait, he knows you will just cut up his responses and play more 'jokes'.
Back on topic, I would be interested to know ph0bYx's answers to my questions:

What's your definition of hacking?
How is it different from mine?
Can you give an example of what you think is a good hack?
I have a better idea Why don't _You_ enlighten us - Tell us your defintion of hacking, tell us how yours is different from ours, explain to us what a good hack is. I mean you are so smart - lets hear it!

Write about yourself for a change.

DNR
-

leetnigga

Post by leetnigga »

DNR wrote:This is why the thread is over, Ph0 is not going to reply to your bait, he knows you will just cut up his responses and play more 'jokes'.
It's not bait, I'm seriously interested in his answers. He started this thread about the method of teaching, I came with a different approach and we disagreed. He brought up the possibility that our definitions of hacking could be different. I thought mine was a pretty good and general one that's hard to disagree with, so I'm asking for his and how it's different.

I'm sorry you don't appreciate my 'jokes'.
DNR wrote:I have a better idea Why don't _You_ enlighten us - Tell us your defintion of hacking, tell us how yours is different from ours, explain to us what a good hack is. I mean you are so smart - lets hear it!
Well, I already stated my own definition, which was, if you recall:

Hacking is using your knowledge to gain more knowledge

And I can't actually tell you how mine is different from yours if you never tell me yours. Hence my question :)

Here is a good hack that I read about recently: An almost perfect real-world hack.

ph0bYx
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by ph0bYx »

The site lifehacker.com would sum up my definition of hacking. What you call hacking (by your definition"Hacking is using your knowledge to gain more knowledge" ) I call good searching skill, I believe that's a difference. You can find some hacks on the lh.com site, if they work then I think it's a good hack, if not than not so good.

Oh, and I started this thread to... wait, how many times did I mentioned it :-k, ok this is the LAST time, so read carefully:
1 - for the people receiving those rude noob request, so that they can instead of ignoring, redirect them here
2 - to teach them self-education, there were no method of teaching involved.
then you came into the picture with unneeded pointers ruining this thread, "oh well"

One question to you: What was the real reason of your replying to a thread where I was trying to teach self-education with "how to get people interested in hacking" and attacking me for doing bad on it? How can I do bad at it when you're lecturing a totally different subject?
Oups, wait, those are two questions. Well consider it a 'joke'

Gogeta70
^_^
^_^

Post by Gogeta70 »

Ok, this entire thread has hit the fan. This thread was originally a guideline for newbies to gain a better understanding of what hacking was exactly. It was never intended to be a debate, and i can already see the bullets flying.

Leetnigga, you may not understand or see how you did something wrong by your posts in this thread, but instigating an unnecessary conflict is wrong. Secondly, you need to understand the difference between simply being an asshole and being respectfully critical of another persons opinions and thoughts.

Also, stop with the "jokes". Your sense of humor is apparently pretty unique, but none of us here find it funny. To be honest, i find your "humor" to be rather vulgar and disgusting.

Locked.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It works on my machine...