Suck-o Prolific

...let us know what you think, free speech!
DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Suck-o Prolific

Post by DNR »

Suck-o, according to BB was supposed to be off the cuff, an experiment, not-so-serious.
There was no plan.

The direction slowly came about, I think 8 years ago. I was wardriving alot for free wifi, still in college for IT with a 3.7gpa and keys to the computer lab. Cats, mabo, BB, and couple others were working on suck-o 2v plans even away back then. (before 2v became popular). Kids were still learning about nux. Carding and stealing user/pass with infected email bombs were popular with black hat newbies. Gary Mckinnon's intrusion into the pentagon made news, as his arrest. The recent Computer Crimes laws passed only caused a slight bump in the hacking crowd - it only clearly separated the white hats from the black hats. The site was ranking #1 or 3 depending on the day of the week on Progenic's T100 against many many hacker clans. By not playing into the 'clan' bullshit, people came to suck-o when they needed real advice or texts from - well, us.

We are a mixed bunch, college educated, or basement schooled, international, Windowz or Nux. Cable or wifi, coders or nettechs. Young and old. Professional, working or retired, and ethical. Grey hat is admittedly our style, but ethics means its used for the good of white hat. Our personality means we would stand up for a defenseless person on the street, and beat down some thugs - as we would online. Being proactive, we teach those who want to know. Being antisocial we shunned games and publicity, the T100 was really a joke we were even laughing at.

We are you. Suck-o is simply a network.
E-Zine, more Suck-o T-shirts, local suck-o meetings, plans for group meets at the DefCon (maybe next year huh?) plans for suck-o 3v already.

The older crew here, started out exactly with the same feelings as you newbies here (you know who you are). It was what kept all of us together, suck-o as a community project. It was like a clubhouse that you were proud of, and just wanted to improve or leave a mark upon.
Now, the older crew - did not forget, we didn't get tired - don't pull that old man crap cuz we can still outshoot you youn'uns. We got busy in life, work, marriage, moving, economies, changing shifts or careers. We somehow never lost interest in hacking things, we tried to live it in our lives and share it in the forum - with the only people in the world who understood! Hacking was our lifestyle, we saw hacking as a tool on everyday life, on people, on cars, on computers and networks. Info-warfare was real, it was being used on the general population by corporations and governments. Suck-o kept us focused in a way, it gave us a place to return to our center. We were interested in being among other smart, but outside-the-box, non-conformist geeks, just like ourselves. There was no place else like suck-o, it was our refuge, our home, our clubhouse.

Suck-o can get old and eventually - offline. Maybe you'll catch it on the waybackmachine.org. It could happen, people can stop caring about stuff like, hacking and its culture. If the government had its way, they would make sure the new kids never know about this kind of stuff we know.

If the new members do not perpetuate the original vision of suck-o, it will be lost eventually.

It can be online forever, as long as someone is willing to maintain a server to keep it running. If the orginal vision is kept, there is no reason to change the old posts, dump tutorials, even the files in the downloads will have some forensic value. The orginal vision is simply to be a haven for positive, intelligent, some-what disfunctional, geeks interested in electronics, mechanicals, security policies and procedures, and social engineering people - and themselves. We were outcasted by society, by our school 'peers', by the system - so we had no place else to go but here. The funny thing is, more and more people keep coming to suck-o. We mentor the newbies to simply be welcome as someone was to us, to be open-minded to learn what others know, and to teach what we know. And it perpetuates suck-o, it had it's own life.
Life continues, I am glad to see new members interested in making effort toward Suck-o's Ezine, writing new tuts and maintaining the old repository of many old projects and notes by those who studied before them. Notes, writings, and semi-completed projects on technical stuff coding, investigating the network of machines that made the internet, we investigated the weakest link in any security device or procedure - people.

I can see how suck-o will be around for years to come, new geeks mentored by the old ones. The same thing that drives us to hack now, was the same thing in the past, and will be the same in the future.

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

lonewolf
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Re: Suck-o Prolific

Post by lonewolf »

Great post DNR, you do have a flair for writing.

I came here searching for information however stayed because of the people.

maboroshi
Dr. Mab
Dr. Mab

Post by maboroshi »

Nice one DNR :-)

I agree and support this thread :-)

*cheers

Mabo

Broken Angel

Post by Broken Angel »

8O :? :? 8-[ 8-[ how am I supposed to feel about this post m utter confused, so pls DNR sir guide on this one too.

But I can make sure that I shall alwalys be there to support suck-o in any means that I can and also hold the ethics in front of me all the times no matter what. *thumb*

From what I have seen suck-o to be it's more like a second home to me. I be here and I feel more connected to what I really am and the way everyone behaves with the other is also the reason that new member are felt very welcome and at ease. Suck-o and the ppl in here have given me a refuge from the world that can be very mean at times and also pulling your legs down to make sure you don't rise too much when they are lagging behind.

I first saw it on the T100 itself and then I came to here, back then I was the co-owner of a very good competitor of suck-o in that ranking list if ppl might remember it? (niktrix) And just like sir mentioned we eventually lost it the forum just died out cause the members were no longer a big family, a healthy community and the new one were not very eager to get things in their hands cause they were more interested in getting their own forum rather than contributiing to the one forum that was the reason for making ppl there what the really were.

I then started initially just looking at the posts in here for some info some tut or something but when I read the replies and the content in them I got interested and thought of getting involved with the group even more. I wanted to ve a part of the group of ppl who were more intelligent and mature on everything that the did and also on how they handle issues, I wanted to have a look at the view point of the ppl in here cause it was the most appealing things in the palce.

After getting to know a little bit about the Admins and the Staff members in here and also the fact that this is not just another forum and the way it works is something that I have always wished to be a part of I started reading on the last page topics and found a treasure on things that were diverse from hacking to even how to live once life and how to be a hacker and what it is to really be a hacker, the ideas expressed in everything written were so brilliant that it didn't take me a mintue to get ingrosed and then start believing in them cause they were the only thing that made sense to me no matter what.

Then I sarted to intereact more in here and post my problems in here and the replies that I got were more beautiful that I have evre thought. I am nearing 300 posts myself and I have always tried to help out if it is possible for me to do so (most of the times I don't even know what is going on and how to get things into my head before someone comes and solves the problem).

The amount of knowledge that is in here is termondous and I doubt if there is any other place that will have this level in them and yet be as simple and down to earth as suck-o can be. Suck-o has given a new definition to the way I thought (actually supported the way I thought) a hacker should be and also given me belief that there are ppl who think like me when it comes to this. Suck-o has been a helping hand to me always even when at times my problems were as small as nothing to wierd as wtf! The support suck-o has shown me all these years is something that you expect from your family. Always being there when I needed and responding to my calls and requests without even knowing if they were for the right purpose or not cause they believed in what I started to believe in because of them and that they knew that I was not rotten and was someone who can be taken in shelter and then nurtured.

I remember I was having a very beautiful (and life changing)(for me atleast) chat with DNR sir a few days back and he told me that you are amongst those who we can trust will help others with what you knew and that I would love to be your Guardian and Mentor (this was the line that had tears in my eyes and my daddy was sitting behind me he was like w0w you really love those guys and I was like yes daddy and this DNR sir over here might be a bit younger than you and when he talks I see a tinch of you in him and he had a beautiful smile on his face) to help you and guide you at any time when you need it.

I am blessed if anything not more than this to be a part of this place and also the way ppl in here have accepted me with my faults and bad habits that I have and yes I am blessed that finally there are a few ppl who I can say that really know me not because we share the same interests but because they know what kind of a person I really am and because they know me for what I am (fanks a lot for that).

In my personal life there has been times when I have really wanted someone to hold me and tell me what is wrong and what is right not because of what I do but because they really know what lives inside me as a person and at suck-o this has come true.

I wanted to write a good and beautiful testimonial for suck-o since ages and but I have not yet found the right and appropriate words for me to describe how beautiful and peaceful a place this is.

If these were my last words I would like to add that I will always do whatever is there is in my capacity for suck-o.

P.S. Ezine :P where to get started and how to get things going pls guide :P =P~
God Blessed Me With Forgiveness And I Forgive You With My Revenge...!

-Broken Angel

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

broken angel - you responded appropriately, right on target. I guess you said what many of us feel or experienced here at suck-o.

It is not a common site, it took personal dedication by BB, cats, mabo, even commonstray(known as circuitbomb back then), - there have been two people who also since died - even they left a mark. The new members, lilrofl, P4, Phobyx - and you - will keep the site going - in its unique personality.

All hacker clans or groups do have personality. Personality is the emotional, spiritual, mental fortitude, intelligence, and common sense of the person/group.

There are a lot of fucked up groups and personalities out there. Its not us, its society, the world sucks.

Suck-o, the title was the lure - because many of us wanders that searched and hit upon the URL - felt it was an inside joke - a poke at the world. Suck-o.

The title alluded to the defiance that was inside, in us. "Embrace the Suck" is a military slang - meaning to be stronger than friction, than adversary, than things that suck in life.
Every little hassle, every little damage other people or systems inflict upon us - is the suck. We are defiant, we are fighters - so we embrace the suck - because we get it, we got over it.

Everything has meaning. I am glad to see it have deep meaning to many members. It was not the technical stuff, it was about the people. Hackers are just uncomfortable being anything else, we need to be as real as the circuits that make up our machines.

A lot of times, hackers were not asking "How does RFI work?" or "Now that i have 30,000 IVs what next!" - but they were asking "Why am I like this?" and "Why do I feel like this?" those were the same questions many morpheus asked themselves many times over their lives, as neos were just begining to feel it for the first time.

Make the first move - start it as a thread, then it could move to a section. Final publication in .pdf so you can print it and leave it laying around your favorite places.

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

CommonStray
Forum Assassin
Forum Assassin

Post by CommonStray »

A place made manifest by the convergence of like minded individuals.

I've been a ghost to the forums for some time, but even ghosts maintain a misted veil of a presence, from time to time appearing in unlikely places. In this place, I am honored to be in the presence of raw thought. From this place, I can honestly say that I have been blessed to have met the best of my friends, something I am grateful for always.

Suck-o has a history, it has had its share of failed and successful projects. It has seen the coming and going of many people. I have been privy to witness a community grow, and have seen each moderator and staff member act responsibly and selfless. I have witnessed and been apart of every emotional state at suck-o, from the fires of anger to tears of sadness, heart wrenching laughter and pointless confusion.

We have had our share of troublemakers, those trolls who would usurp our bonds of friendship. We have felt the loss of those we would wish not to have been taken. Yet we carry on, we push forward learning new concepts, formulating new ideas, and helping all those who come here the best we can.

We are a collective library, reading with one hand and writing with another.

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

P4 I suspect what Cthug and I are doing with the Occupy Movement - we are trying the Suck-o vision on the world...

The people are asking "why are we this way" - lets offer them a life changing choice - "The Blue Pill or the Red Pill". Once you open their minds, the truth never goes away.

DNR
-