My nick and me

...let us know what you think, free speech!
ayu
Staff
Staff

My nick and me

Post by ayu »

Been cleaning all day, and in the middle of my housewife mission, I came to think about something nostalgic.
It has been a while now, but some time ago there was some confusion over me, my nick and my avatar, so I thought that I could write a small explanation for funzies.

My nickname is cats, and despite popular belief, I am not a female (This was actually because of my avatar being a female heroin from an Anime I like).

The nickname was taken from a video game that I like, called Zero Wing (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zero_Wing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;).
In the game there is a super villain named cats, but this wasn't the only reason why I took this nickname a few years ago.
It was also because of the fact that I really really like felines (cats, or just any cat animal).

My avatar was taken from a series called The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, and although I couldn't find the specific clip that the gif was made from, here's the wiki link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haruhi_Suzumiya" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

So... what about your nick?
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Re: My nick and me

Post by bad_brain »

and where neo130 came from? ^^
wow, reminds me for how long we know us already... :D

well, my nickname comes kinda from the state of mind I had when I decided to go back into computing (after a break of almost 10 years) by buying a used crappy Pentium2 box.
I had just ended a chapter in my life that was a total waste (that's where the 10 years break came from), and I was mentally in a weird condition...so the nick fitted perfectly at that time.
now it doesn't really fit anymore and I bet I am often mislabeled because of it (as skiddie, so be happy some people only think you are female :lol: ), but well...suck-o is also often mislabeled because of the name, so actually it fits into the program. :lol:

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

bad_brain wrote:and where neo130 came from? ^^
wow, reminds me for how long we know us already... :D

well, my nickname comes kinda from the state of mind I had when I decided to go back into computing (after a break of almost 10 years) by buying a used crappy Pentium2 box.
I had just ended a chapter in my life that was a total waste (that's where the 10 years break came from), and I was mentally in a weird condition...so the nick fitted perfectly at that time.
now it doesn't really fit anymore and I bet I am often mislabeled because of it (as skiddie, so be happy some people only think you are female :lol: ), but well...suck-o is also often mislabeled because of the name, so actually it fits into the program. :lol:

haha yeah, Suck-o, the world of mislabeling :lol:

Well, neo130 came from when I was a kid and I saw the first Matrix movie .. and when I wanted to use that name in Counter-Strike (which I played a little at the time), it was already taken, so the game suggested a few alternatives for me :P ... and neo130 was one of them x)

Actually, my nickname before neo130 was "black cat", and it dates as far back as when I was 8 or 9 years old ^^ (I had a black cat back then that I got the idea from when playing "war" with my friends in my parents back yard ^^)

... So much history to tell about these things ... who's up next? ;)
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"

ph0bYx
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by ph0bYx »

I just sat down one day and started writing word per word on Google, when it got no hits on it and was reasonably OK I choose it. Oh yeah, it had to have a number in it, or else wise it wouldn't be elite :D
That's the making-of ph0bYx :D

maboroshi
Dr. Mab
Dr. Mab

Post by maboroshi »

My name comes from Japan!

My teacher is very old school and believes that you should be named off traits or characteristics you have. You have your family name and a name you are known as later in life.

Maboroshi is short for Maboroshi Tsukuru, Maboroshi means Illusion or Phantom and Tsukuru means "to make or to create"

Tsukuru comes from my ability to create metal objects and Maboroshi comes from my phantom like nature

Anyway

*cheers

Maboroshi

lonewolf
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Post by lonewolf »

Mine came from two different places one I am kind of a loner and two back in the 80's when I repaired c02 lasers the movie teen wolf came out. One of the people that I worked with decided I looked like the teen wolf and started calling me wolfy. The name stuck for many years. So I came up with lonewolf.

Gogeta70
^_^
^_^

Post by Gogeta70 »

When i was 8 years old, i got into dragonball z. My favorite character was Gogeta. Not much background to my nick, lol.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It works on my machine...

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

you can still find my old works under C0VERTl - a cut meaning 'covert one'. I was working security, college for IT. DNR means Do Not Resuscitate, I switched to a hospital and worked on a cardiac unit where people die on a regular basis. DNR means I only have one shot at life, no replay, no do overs.

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

lilrofl
Siliconoclast
Siliconoclast

Post by lilrofl »

Back in the 90's when instant messaging started to become mainstream and those cute little acronyms started popping up all over the place, lol, lmao and what not, I met this girl who asked me to tell her a bit about myself. I asked her what she wanted to know, and she said, favorite food, favorite color and most embarrassing sex story. the stories where exchanged. Somewhere at the end I had written ROFL. She asked if I was really on the floor laughing, which I wasn't... so I replied, nope... it was just a lil one. she replied, a lilrofl huh, and I agreed that yes, I was a lilrofl, never a big laugh, more of a chuckle. I've used the name as a moniker ever since.

As for the other half, siliconoclast, it's just a conjoining of silicon and iconoclast, to twist the traditional meaning of iconoclast, a person who breaks down convention, and dogma away from it's religious roots to a more computer-centric meaning. I have been a religious iconoclast for over a decade, ever studying and researching to understand the deeper mysteries of several religions, and they're similarities, now I spend more time doing the same with computers.

I think that covers about all the bases :D
knuffeltjes voor mijn knuffel
[img]http://i911.photobucket.com/albums/ac320/stuphsack/Sig.jpg[/img]

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

Nicks are important, it should fit you, where you are at in your life. C0VERTl to me was my old life, when I had a career change I had to change nicks to hide better on the net. When I chose C0VERTl, there was no major search engine like google, so you did want people to find you easily. DNR is easier to hide, as it was heavily used by other organizations.

You should not use more than one nick/idenitity in a forum/site, it is considered rude and suspicious. Using another nick in another forum is ok.

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

l0ngb1t

Post by l0ngb1t »

well i always had issues with nicknames...
the origin of this one is from my first C class, the tutor was explaining about variable types and stuff... so i find it back than cool to merge the 2 words BIT that represent the smallest value in the computers and binary world and LONG as the variable long, i add replaced o with 0 and i with 1 to make look more relevant to computers, i kinda liked the contradiction longbit... + am 192cm height so it fits lol
i don't know if their is a better nick for me, but it's been 4 years with this one so...
and about the avatar, 2-3 years ago i was looking for some "mind trick images" and i don't how this image appeared in google image search and i don't understand how it is related to what i was looking for 8O ... so i like it.. and i take it as an avatar...
the avatar name is PIO... a friend choose it while she was typing the french word OUI (stands for yes) and she mistype it and that's where the name came from... some times i use it for counterstrike lol
later on i animated after a member posted a small tut about such stuff...
i painted another version of it and did a christmas version as well.
and here we are lol
There is an UNEQUAL amount of good and bad in most things, the trick is to work out the ratio and act accordingly. "The Jester"

CommonStray
Forum Assassin
Forum Assassin

Post by CommonStray »

Before I was Circuitbomb, I was known as Seriallzz - taken as a pseudo-form of Cereal Killer from the motion picture "Hackers." The nick was also apart of an AOL screenname I had chosen when I used the service (Seriallzz666) - an AIM account I still have, but never use.

While I was sitting at my table one day I was working on a beigebox (a linemans handset) which was cleverly constructed from a cordless phone. It was my first electronic project, I could hook up the phone base to a simple phone jack or red/green pairing and use the cordless phone away from the base as you normally would.

At the time, I felt the weight of the handheld part of the phone was to heavy, along with the base. While I kept the base 'as is' I deconstructed the handheld portion of the phone. I modified the keypad to strap around my wrist with a wire that ran up my arm to a headset (which also had the antenna, lol).

At home one day the device sat upon my workbench while I had a few female friends over. One of the girls inquired about the nature of the device, and another asked if it was a bomb. I stared hard at the device, looking at it's circuitry and contemplated the complexity of building a bomb with the parts. After explaining the device to the girls, in which they, all three, marveled at me over, the name 'Circuitbomb' hit me with a force of a bag of bricks. I wrote it down on a piece of paper that sat on my desk until I took it upon myself to order cable internet service. I found the note a few days after that, and have been using the nickname ever since.

The nickname CommonStray, was created from a lurking perspective, one who commonly comes around, yet is independent of any static norm. It was also used as a good laugh to get all the other staff members paranoid one day, when I changed it - and didnt tell anyone about it. I have thought of changing it back, but haven't found any inclination to do so.

I have a couple other nicks as well, but those are only known by very few, and any mention of them here could certainly link them to me. :-({|=

CommonStray
Forum Assassin
Forum Assassin

Post by CommonStray »

lonewolf wrote:Mine came from two different places one I am kind of a loner and two back in the 80's when I repaired c02 lasers the movie teen wolf came out. One of the people that I worked with decided I looked like the teen wolf and started calling me wolfy. The name stuck for many years. So I came up with lonewolf.
ok, so either your really hairy...or you look like M.J. Fox :p

Broken Angel

Post by Broken Angel »

My nick has a whole lot of history behind it. It all started when I was 15 I think and I fell in love with a girl, I had a very beautiful idea of being in love with someone and when it really happened I was left old alone and no one to hold me when I was falling...
So I never had a fight with anyone, I was silent and did my own work always helped anyone who corssed my path even knowing that he/she is not good and will fu*k me up when he/she gets a chance to do that. I was indifferent to all and then I got a heart break which I think still hurts at times and thus I came to hacking and stuff.

I had heard that ppl use handle instead of their own names and there I was trying to figure out what I could call myself and what might suit me the most.

Now the 'Broken' part comes from the heart break and the changes that I went through at that time when I was into depression and all. The changes were so much that I still cannot be the same actually I have never been the same since then. It just signifies how bad a thing can be deformed and I can assure that the Broken Angel that you see is not what I used to be in my real life.

The 'Angel' part comes from the fact that I knew my deeds then and was close to Lord All Mighty to say that I was not doing things in a wrong way and was pure at heart. I didn't think shit and aws straight forward, helping others and yeah it also includes being used by others big time. (A guy asked me books cause we had our exams the next day and I gave him the books cause he was asking for it thou I was having the same exam too -_-).

So I was an Angel when I fell in love and then the Angel was fu*ked up and broken. I have never been the same since. I have tried a lot as in a real lot and trust me when I say this that the Void of a girl only be filled by another girl. I had been into 38 relationships since my breakup and still at times when I sit and think of her my heart burns (and the sensation is real I can feel it) and I feel like too much anger or hatered ot have tears in my eyes or just want to get high enough to let it all out.

I have tried a lot to change myself and the nick also but then as far as I know a nick is something that ppl give you or you take up eventually from what you learn? People at my place love calling me Devil or at times Devil's Advocate but then this was way after I was up with my nick.

I might as well add that I would love if people in here would give me a nick according to how much they know me? It is my dream to have a nick which ppl have given me :)

P.S. This nick always tends to attract more guys cause like cats sir it is kinda girlish but then Angels are not girls ;) it's the guys :P \:D/
God Blessed Me With Forgiveness And I Forgive You With My Revenge...!

-Broken Angel

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

nicks are personal, sometimes no one else will really understand the nick except you and close friends.

while we do not give neos new nicknames, we do give rank 8)

DNR
-