Got robbed off all my gadgets at the same time

...let us know what you think, free speech!
Broken Angel
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Got robbed off all my gadgets at the same time

Post by Broken Angel »

Hello guys I know it has been a long time but then that thing is that I had recents been kinda robbed off of all my gadgets and by that I mean all ](*,) ](*,)

DELL Inspiron 15r
HTC Wildfire
Motorola Ming A1200
Apple iPod Touch 8 Gigs
Sony PSP

and the bag also had my goggles #-o

Now can anyone help me about how to track things down? The Local Authoritites are a shit and they are not helping me a bit.

Someone thou told me that DELL might track the Lappy down once I give them some details? And about Android anyone here knowing how to do it?

P.S. DNR Sir DEFCON was amazing ;) holding again in my city this time November I think...
God Blessed Me With Forgiveness And I Forgive You With My Revenge...!

-Broken Angel

ayu
Staff
Staff

Re: Got robbed off all my gadgets at the same time

Post by ayu »

Shit man that sucks :(

How did it happen?

Anyway, do you have anything on the devices that could help in tracking it down?
Does the phone have any app that uses the GPS that is turned on often, that you could reach from the outside?

Does the laptop have DynDNS or anything like that?
Do you have any saved passwords and stuff on your laptop?
Maybe Facebook with automatic login?

If you are lucky then whoever stole it will login on your facebook account (if you have your password saved that is), and then you will get a warning the next time you login that someone from another location has tried to login on the account, and thus providing you with the location.

If you want your stuff back, then it's time to be a little detective and start trying to get a lead and then set a trap ;)
Think hard if you can come up with anything that could give just the slightest of information.
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"

eppik

Post by eppik »

This: " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

May prove usefull.

Also it will make you smile a bit which is always good

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

well, the phone provider surely can track the HTC if it's turned on (even works for some phones when turned off, don't know if that applies to your HTC), of course it can only get tracked up to a specific area, the more antennas from the provider are around the more precise it can get tracked.
so give your provider a call and ask if they can help you (of course they can, you just want it to be free, so you have be a little charming, worth a try). but of course you will have to involve the police, else all eventual cost will have to be payed by you.

lilrofl
Siliconoclast
Siliconoclast

Post by lilrofl »

If you have your location set on your android phone, then it can be tracked very accurately, if not it can still be tracked... just not as accurately also the phone company wont track it for you, there has to be an active police file (at least where i live).

Dell laptops ship with a persistent tracking system embedded in their motherboards, and Dell has been pretty reliable in partnering with law enforcement to retrieve lost or stolen merchandise. I'm not sure if the chip is turned on by default, or if it is part of their ProSupport plan... won't hurt to contact them and find out though.

It's too late now, but there is tracking software that you can install onto your I-gadgets, it's not persistent, but it does relay location information to a pre-set email account when it has an Internet connection.
knuffeltjes voor mijn knuffel
[img]http://i911.photobucket.com/albums/ac320/stuphsack/Sig.jpg[/img]

lonewolf

Post by lonewolf »

My son had his phone stolen. Verizon would not track it but they sent a code to brick it so it could never be used again.
bad_brain wrote:Dell laptops ship with a persistent tracking system embedded in their motherboards, and Dell has been pretty reliable in partnering with law enforcement to retrieve lost or stolen merchandise. I'm not sure if the chip is turned on by default, or if it is part of their ProSupport plan... won't hurt to contact them and find out though.
I am not too sure what I think of a lo-jack system in a laptop.

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

sorry to hear about the loss of the goods.

Police rarely investigate private theft at less than $5,000, Businesses at less than $10,000.

If this was local you might check pawn shops in the area, but have your receipts and serial numbers ready. The police will seize it for awhile from the pawn shop, you'll get it back eventually. The pawn shop will be the one who loses, as they paid money to the theif who might not be caught.

Look forward to your report on the local Defcon *thumb*

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

JohnB

Post by JohnB »

This may be a case of bolting the stable door after the horse has left but I use this:

Code: Select all

http://preyproject.com/
It helps GPS track your machine if it gets stolen. I know such apps exist for phones and laptops but I'm not aware of anything like this for the home PC.

Also it may be worth writing some identifying marks using a UV pen on your belongings, such that if they are recovered you can prove that they belong to you.

Hope you get your stuff back.
Sprich mit mir!