People dumping cradit cards on Twitter

...let us know what you think, free speech!
ayu
Staff
Staff

People dumping cradit cards on Twitter

Post by ayu »

A friend of mine (nemo-111 on Suck-o) gave me a link today of a Twitter page where people post their "new cool custom credit/debit cards".
The problem is that they post all the numbers on the front of the card as well.
Wonder how much info you can grab by just using that number, or even steal their cash ; /

Code: Select all

http://ja.twitter.com/NeedADebitCard
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"

JohnB
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Re: People dumping cradit cards on Twitter

Post by JohnB »

That's pretty dumb.

Though wouldn't you need the security number on the back to do anything with it?

Also my bank at least has a further level of security; you have it enter a password when buying online.
Sprich mit mir!

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

JohnB wrote:That's pretty dumb.

Though wouldn't you need the security number on the back to do anything with it?

Also my bank at least has a further level of security; you have it enter a password when buying online.

Yeah I think the security number on the back is needed in most cases.
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

someone with a store POS (point of sale) terminal can enter those numbers as if it was a failed swipe. Some third party vendor can process the number. It would be easy to contest because now most newer store POS will indicate if the card was present or not during the sale - so its easy for the customer to say," I did not present the card" - but they did present it - on twitter :roll:

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

pseudo_opcode
cyber messiah
cyber messiah

Post by pseudo_opcode »

i know enough places to use the card where neither password nor cvv is required... even if eventually the transaction will be reported and reversed...

what is wrong with people?

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

correct psuedo - that is why they will use small amounts - $5 to $11 so that way people just pay their bill. Most dumbass people with credit cards do not review their bills - they pay the minimum balance, letting the account grow with no real control over where the money went.

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.