God is like a debugger???

...let us know what you think, free speech!
reparto
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

God is like a debugger???

Post by reparto »

I was debugging something I was working on (actually, I use the VS debugger as a disassembler but whatever) and it kind of hit me that the debugger can see all the instructions that the program will ever execute but it doesn't know if those instructions are valid or will cause a crash and it kind of reminds me of how God is described in religious texts.

God is described to be omniscient (all-knowing) if we use a debugger as an analogy then it does kind of make sense how God would know everything yet still need us to live through it. I am saying this from a "If God existed..." viewpoint because I don't think we need a "Does God exist?" discussion.

I thought this was kind of cool, thought I should share and see what other techy people think of it.
Selling invisible pets:
Dogs - 0.5 Bitcoins
Cats - 0.7 Bitcoins
Unicorns - 10 Bitcoins
Chimpanzee - 2 Bitcoins

PM me if you are interested, will ship via priority airmail, will accept escrow services

maboroshi
Dr. Mab
Dr. Mab

Re: God is like a debugger???

Post by maboroshi »

Cool concept!

Can't say much right now cause its 7 am, but I like this thought. Let's hope it doesn't turn in to a religious discussion :-)

*cheers

Mabo

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

hmmm...interesting...BUT god would have the power to change "the code" in which way ever, while a debugger can only monitor. so imo a debugger is more like a scientist who can maybe say what is happening, but not actually do anything about it... :-k

reparto

Post by reparto »

bad_brain wrote:hmmm...interesting...BUT god would have the power to change "the code" in which way ever, while a debugger can only monitor. so imo a debugger is more like a scientist who can maybe say what is happening, but not actually do anything about it... :-k
Can't ollydbg insert instructions? I'm not sure the extent of the functionality but I'm sure I was able rewrite code.
Selling invisible pets:
Dogs - 0.5 Bitcoins
Cats - 0.7 Bitcoins
Unicorns - 10 Bitcoins
Chimpanzee - 2 Bitcoins

PM me if you are interested, will ship via priority airmail, will accept escrow services

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

I have to admit it's been a LITTLE while since I have used ollydbg....I got away from coding years ago and been focusing on server administration, so you might be right with that.
hmm...ok...but then a debugger (imo) would still not be god, it would more like the kind of scientists that manipulate genes, for god level it would need the ability to create life from dead matter (writing a program from scratch and compile it).... :-k

reparto

Post by reparto »

bad_brain wrote: for god level it would need the ability to create life from dead matter (writing a program from scratch and compile it).... :-k
There's nothing that says that God can actually do this, a lot religions use phrases like "God gave life" etc. but realistically if God had to actively create life then he would not have been a good enough designer when creating the universe.

If God is the ultimate engineer/designer then life would have come about through the mechanics of the universe and not by intervention.

But you are kind of right, i guess we would would have to merge gdb with the gnu compilers and then add some sentient AI that can create The Sims games.
Selling invisible pets:
Dogs - 0.5 Bitcoins
Cats - 0.7 Bitcoins
Unicorns - 10 Bitcoins
Chimpanzee - 2 Bitcoins

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

hm, well, I can only speak for the christian religion, at least there it says "god created everything" (including every life form as written in Genesis 1:20-25)....so I labeled "nothing" (which was there before god created everything) as "dead matter"....which might not have been 100% accurate, but you get the idea. :wink: