everyones progress

...let us know what you think, free speech!
Kirk
suck-o enforcer
suck-o enforcer

everyones progress

Post by Kirk »

so i was wondering everyones progress with their knowledge. are you guys where you want to be in life, with skill sets, are you happy with what you know, what else are you guys wanting to learn?

i only ask cause i wish i knew more. im 34 but i have only been free for about 3 years of my life to play on computers. i believe i have learned quite a bit in that little time. i know the basics of most of the computer languages, im pretty good with networking, i can troubleshoot everything from a server to a user.

my goals: im studying java more. actually writing code instead of just reading books on it. i want to learn more about networking and all the protocols. i just wish i had those 12 years back, i think i could have been so much better at all this.

how about all of you?

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Re: everyones progress

Post by bad_brain »

well, I can tell you this: when I was your age I got back into computers too after a more than 10 years break, and I didn't knew much more than some HTML and JS....I wasted more than a decade too with stupid bullshit.

but it's never too late as you can see....now I am dealing with high profile customers like lawyers, speakers with their own segment on Fox and CNN, and the latest one is a "New York Times best selling author" who sold more than 20 million copies of his book.
and it actually just takes 1% luck to get far...99% is simply hard work and believing in yourself.

just stay away from illegal stuff, or at least make sure the chances you get caught are astronomically thin.....and always think about if the risk is worth the gain first (in 99% of the cases it isn't). it's more fun to make some good money instead and have a good sleep at night.

so yeah, I simply want my company (well, it's OURS, I am simply the one at the front line with the customers, and also do the server stuff) to keep growing...bigger jobs, more fame, more money. yes, I am a full blown capitalist, and I like it... 8) :lol:

maboroshi
Dr. Mab
Dr. Mab

Post by maboroshi »

I believe the moment you become content with what you know it will be hard to progress.

We had a teaching about your ability to learn from budo, where it suggested that you always have room in your fish tank to fill with water.

lilrofl
Siliconoclast
Siliconoclast

Post by lilrofl »

I also took some years off from computer science, and I'm sort of glad that I did so. Life long learning is a wonderful thing, and there is always room to know more, or understand what you know better.

I am coming to the end of a bachelor program in information security, and while I learned a lot, I'm not content with my level of knowledge in so many areas that interest me. Cryptography, programming, machine learning, data analysis... the list is endless.

Luckily, we live in an age of information exchange, and there are many resources out there to progress your knowledge of computer science, if you are motivated enough to do it.

I would recommend to you a website

Code: Select all

https://www.udacity.com

It is a learning exchange program set up by Standford University, in conjunction with many computer and information centric companies like: Google, Intel, Facebook and AT&T; to provide skills that these companies desire out of their employees.

Many of the courses are offered for free, (Java programming among them), and while you will not be accredited in any way from taking the free courses; they are incredibly informative, easy to follow and , I think, exactly the way I like to learn a subject.

I enjoy the programs enough that I am considering trying out their paid services, which include a certification, and in some cases, what is being referred to as a Nanodegree.

This wasn't meant to be an advertisement, but I think that if you want to learn more, and are motivated to do it, then you can go as far as you would like, in whatever areas you would like; and if you decide to try out Udacity, I would suggest starting with Introduction to Computer Science. It is a phenomenal course that will fill out any gaps in your knowledge of computing, and prepare you to easily pick up any skills related to it. (the course is mostly in python so maybe I'm a little biased)
knuffeltjes voor mijn knuffel
[img]http://i911.photobucket.com/albums/ac320/stuphsack/Sig.jpg[/img]

scatter
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Post by scatter »

I learnt alot by focusing on C programming, not only basics but advanced unix programming with C (IPC programming , network programming and kernel modules programming ) and indirectly I found myself able to write kernel rootkits and find some bugs in opensource tools and now am working on writing code in assembly :) (finished x86 on linux with NASM, did AT&T asm and now x86 for windows with MASM syntax) so that I can jump easily in reverse engineering and what can come from it

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

few posts mention this, you want to balance the tech stuff with real life stuff. Most of my life stuff is in/near retirement. I still work, but I get to chose what I do. I no longer have a career plan ; )

In budo, they talk about a well rounded warrior - versed in many skills, not just fighting. Culture and education was shown by skill in music, animal husbandry, gardening, art, etc.

In a hacker sense, how can you find out what the world needs built or improved if you are not out there?

I am detecting too many YOLOs - people who live online, treating it like its regular daily life. Its is not normal to only associate via computer, its not going to help you develop skills you need to do face to face. If your fake online life looks better than your real life, you should improve your real life. Posers online come and go, social networks like facebook are full of fake names, fake personas - not for security, but for identity lol. Online, while there is access to great technical readings, most people read excerpts, abstracts, and opinions by others - sensational sound bites. That is not knowledge. Crap on a pile is never going to turn in to wisdom.

All my travels and study, the best learning was being there, reading the full book for the full experience. Each study had to result in knowledge, easily translated technical stuff - so I can use it, turn it into wisdom.

So when I left suck-o for awhile, it meant I was building upon my knowledgebase, performing hands on to test my theories, so they can be more than opinions. I experienced real life, so I had something to bring back to this group ; )

Some stuff is business and private, you guys know me. The public side, the drones, more wifi tech, 2600, etc I have to share. I am even expected (or hoped) to show for HOPEX 16 (I think its 2016) in/near NYC. Otherwise, I am not satisfied with new generation hackers :/

talk more, reviewing old posts to catch up

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.