Have any of you heard about the "Tom's Hardware Forum" ?

...let us know what you think, free speech!
Thesk
suck-o-fied!
suck-o-fied!

Post by Thesk »

Hi

I'm in there right now, and i'm kinda stunned about how big it really is and how fast new topics are posted.
I really don't appreciate that kinda traffic.
iv'e been helping a lot people with some graphical problems and hardware related problems, with long descriptive guides and helpful and carefully tried to cut my opinions into pieces just that the one who needed help got the best out of it. which gave me some credit and some of those "badges".
when it came down to it and i needed help well nobody seemed to care enough to do the same for me because of the influx of threads which was really really high.
so my thread "drowned" in the "sea" which meant that i really couldn't find it again. so i posted one more time with the same issue this time the thread got moved to a "more suited topic" which didn't help. so i modified it a couple of times so that it would stay on top of the topic, that was okay. BUT as soon i started to write my self replies with the purpose of begging people for help, i was pretty desperate to get the needed help, the thread got deleted with a message:
Hello theo.esk,

Your thread "My speakers make a popping sound. Please help me fix!" has been removed from Tom's Hardware. Please be sure to comply with the Rules of Conduct and guidelines for posting.

~ The Tom's Hardware Community Team
i got really shocked and thought wtf did i do wrong to deserve this message, that's no explanation at all.
so i posted on the community topics under Forum feedback, that my thread got removed, they told me that it was removed due i had bumped it which is not allowed according to "rules of conduct". i didn't understand this, i hadn't bumped anything IMO.
so it appeared that writing to your own thread with pleading of help was in fact a bumping thing. guess i learned something new.
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/id- ... posts.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"

under the "please don't" section:
Post empty threads or responses that contain no content. Don't bump posts, claim "First!" or give single-word replies.
then i read on, and it clearly does not say anything about the consequences of breaking of these rules.

well now i know. so i asked politely if it where ok if i re-posted the thread or if i was prohibited from that. but guess what - no one responded to those questions.

now i really don't want to post any kinda threads in there any more due to the fact of influx of threads and the negligence of really pressing matters that doesn't get any attention or gets blocked or removed just because they (moderators) think that my own posts was to bump my thread, which it really wasn't. it was just a cry for help.

the thread was the same as the one i posted yesterday
Audio issues when playing games (crackling/popping)
if any of you nice people in here have been on the site
do you have the same experiences?
what do you think of a forum that is so big that a lot of new threads "drowns" in the "sea" of threads?

Cheers ! :D
The music industry is a matrix that is counter to what is natural and right.

- Prince -

ayu
Staff
Staff

Re: Have any of you heard about the "Tom's Hardware Forum" ?

Post by ayu »

Yeah that site still shows up a lot when googling for different issues.
I ended up there a lot back when Stackoverflow and such didn't exist yet.

Don't see it that much these days though, but I can imagine that the traffic hasn't really gone down (probably the opposite from what you are describing).
Unfortunately this is the way they have to do it usually.

When a forum grows that big it becomes VERY hard to manage, and thus the moderators have to be very strict (even if it means sometimes removing post that are rather innocent, like your own).
It's usually pretty hopeless to hang around a forum like that, unless they have some sort of point system which makes people want to find your buried topic and answer it (like Stackoverflow for example).

Stick around here and we'll try to help you solve your problem though; to the best of our ability/time at the very least :)
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"