update

...let us know what you think, free speech!
ilkjester
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

update

Post by ilkjester »

I found a few days work tearing down sheet rock in a building. They were going to throw away an old desktop that was made with windows xp on it. Unfortunately they removed the hard drives from the desktop. They did have the ram sticks and everything else in the desktop however. So I have almost acquired a computer to use now. I have been going to the library and reading the computer books they have at the library. I have been reading How Linux works what ever super user should know. I feel once I have some hard drives to put into the desktop it will make a fine machine. If anyone could mail me a bootable cd with debian on it I would be appreciative.
edit, glitch mob,sage francis, prefuse 73, gousien, andre nickatina, guilty simpson, j dilla, stones throw, mf doom, atmosphere, aesop rock, alias, block head, boom bip, dose one, busdriver, ttc, cannibal ox, dabrye, girl talk, heiroglyphics,2 mex, look d

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Re: update

Post by bad_brain »

PM me your address. ;)

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

b_b, the savior!

In case b_b gets stuck with work or anything else, I can step in as a backup.
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"

ilkjester

Post by ilkjester »

Thank you both. I appreciate the help. I talked to the local college today to see about getting a degree in computer information systems or something related to it. They didn't offer any programs like that but I could take the pre-req writing and math classes offered at the college. I took the placement test scores and got placed into writing 95 and math 115. I never got into pre-calc in high school. I only took algebra 2. I was surprised I've retained most of what I learned in math. I graduated ten years ago. I now have a book on both python and perl. I am not going to try learning both at once though. I will pick one and stick with it. From what I understand perl has lost a lot of ground to python these days. What are you opinions on python vs perl.
edit, glitch mob,sage francis, prefuse 73, gousien, andre nickatina, guilty simpson, j dilla, stones throw, mf doom, atmosphere, aesop rock, alias, block head, boom bip, dose one, busdriver, ttc, cannibal ox, dabrye, girl talk, heiroglyphics,2 mex, look d

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

ilkjester wrote:Thank you both. I appreciate the help. I talked to the local college today to see about getting a degree in computer information systems or something related to it. They didn't offer any programs like that but I could take the pre-req writing and math classes offered at the college. I took the placement test scores and got placed into writing 95 and math 115. I never got into pre-calc in high school. I only took algebra 2. I was surprised I've retained most of what I learned in math. I graduated ten years ago. I now have a book on both python and perl. I am not going to try learning both at once though. I will pick one and stick with it. From what I understand perl has lost a lot of ground to python these days. What are you opinions on python vs perl.
I used to love Perl because of how little code you had to write to get shit down.
After learning Python, I think Perl is actually less effective and has become less beautiful to me.
Today I write all my tools and scripts in Python, so I would like to highly recommend it.

We also have a Python guru here at Suck-o (Maboroshi).
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"

ilkjester

Post by ilkjester »

I think I read it on these forums a long time ago. I am not for sure though. I remember someone saying that perl was a better language for networking aspect. I am pretty sure that was years ago though. I am thinking about sticking with python as the language of choice. Seems like a good area to start.

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

ummm...what CPU is it again? :-k

ilkjester

Post by ilkjester »

I am going to assume its a 32 bit intel. I will make sure when I get home. I am at the library now. It could possibly be 64 bit. It does have sata ports on it as well as ide.