Going to Germany~

...let us know what you think, free speech!
toast
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Going to Germany~

Post by toast »

So yes, I will be going to Germany this spring break, and I was wondering if ya'll could give me advice on things I shouldnt miss...
Like what to eat, see, buy etc...
What german words are vital to survive? ( I only know Hello and "Autsch" <I think thats right...)

Toast

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

hm, depends on your interests and background...I mean, if you're living in the Rocky Mountains it's not very impressing to see the Alps for example... :lol:
let me know your interests and I'll give you some info about places too see... :)

what to eat, hm....imo definitly good old Sauerkraut...best with "Blutwurst" (I don't translate it because else you might not want to eat it anymore :lol: ) and "Schupfnudeln" (special kind of noodles)....REAL yummy... =P~
and of course german beer, best a nice "Hefeweizen" (available light or dark).

I'll give you some more tips in the next post, now it's time to sleep for me... :wink:

p.s. Stavros can give you some nice tips too, he visited germany too some weeks ago... :)

toast

Post by toast »

Lets see my interests... I love art, and museums... Er, historic places...
I guess anything with a story behind it....
I love photography, so somewhere where its pretty...
Does Germany have ghettos? (srry 'bout being random)

Oooh, what about equestrian shows and such? Germany is awesome in that field. (they have the best riders!) Sports... what are ya'll big in?

Er... odd question, whats so special about the "red light district"? (im afraid to google it...) I think its Germany that has that....

Toast

Stavros
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

During July to be precise.

Post by Stavros »

Yep! I went to Germany (or more accurately Austria) during July.

A few cultural differences I can tell you about that I noticed (not blatantly different) about Europe in general:

1) They have this attitude that you should be competent and not a complete moron. (B_B, it may be different, but this is the vibe I got from just visiting).

2) Things are a little bit more dangerous over there (I don't mean crime wise). Two good examples:
-While we were in the Hallstatt Salt Mine they had this tiny train-like vehicle that went through a tunnel and I could have stuck my hand under the cart and it could have easily taken my arm off.
-Riding the luge. While me, my bro and dad were in queue to get off a girl stopped right behind my dad. Well, some kid who looked a little younger than me completely disobeyed the huge "SLOW THE FUCK DOWN!" sign and smacked right into the back of the girl. Dad turned around and she was laying in the track with the cart half way out with blood pouring out of her mouth. Needless to say, she left in an ambulance.

Don't let those two tales (particularly the last story) scare you. It's still way worth visiting.

One thing you should definitely not miss if your in Bavaria: Dachau (or any concentration camp, but Dachau was one of the "better" ones to visit). It is south of Munich (close to the German-Austrian border). If you do go, it won't be a happy day, but you'll get over it in a day or two.

If you're really wanting to see mountains, go to Austria. I thought Bavaria was going to be more mountainous than it was. It was more like (if you live in Southeast US) the foothills of the Appalaicians. And if you do go to Austria, go to Hallstatt. A picture of Hallstatt (and it looks exactly like I remember it).

German Ghettos? Well, I can't answer that one, since we only stayed in Munich (and within walking distance of Marienplatz at that), so I'll leave that one up to Bad_Brain.

Red Light District: Are you sure you're not thinking about Amsterdam?

Luge: At least do one. Everyone else that rode it (and their small child) rode really slow. I'm pretty sure that everyone there that saw how fast we flew down the luge thought we were insane and hell-bent on our own demise (my dad also rode like a mad man). It was awesome 8).

Englischer Garten, Munich (English Garden): We went there; it was beautiful. They do have a nudist area, but we didn't go there, we stopped by the artificial rivers. I really wanted to jump in, but I didn't have my swim trunks on and I really didn't feel like having to walk a mile after I got out (that was the day we left from Strobl, Austria, I think and got into Munich that day, so we were pretty tired). They did have this cool little rapids section where people had these stunted surf boards and would ride the waves for a few minutes and then jump off to let the other surfers ride the rapids.

Museums and all that good stuff: I'm going to have to look at the Germany Travel Guides my dad has and I'll pick out some other notable sites to visit.

At least learn some German. Phrases like, "Ich verstehen nicht" (I don't understand) will get you out of some situations if you don't know what they're talking about. If I could have done anything over again during that trip, it would have been to learn German (granted I know a few phrases).

Sports: Soccer (or football if you're European) of course!

Food: Wiener Schnitzel (not sure if I spelled it right). Specifically veal Wiener Schnitzel. It's good.

Post Script: The Appalacians are older and therefore not as tall as the Alps. The Alps are older than the Rockies, and therefore shorter than the Rockies (I think that's correct). Even though the Alps may not be as young and tall as the Rockies, the sheer cliffs into the frigid, glacier-fed lakes are a sight to behold.

PSS: One last minor detail: If you're from the South (or anywhere where the sun sets at around 7 and rises at about 5) don't be suprised to wake up one morning bright and sunny and then look at your clock only to find out it's 4 in the morning. My brother woke up and freaked out when it was bright and sunny really early and then had a shower and got dressed and then looked at the clock to find it was only 4 in the morning. :lol:

If you want to read up a little more on my adventures in Europe you can go here
The blog starts on page 2.

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

as Stavros said, when you're interested in sports soccer is the thing to see in germany, I would recommend to visit Gelsenkirchen for a game of "Schalke 04" which is not just my favorite team, they have also the best fans which are really into soccer and not into this hooligan-crap.
check here: http://www.schalke04.de/90.html

ghettos? hmm, not really, usually it's totally safe to explore the country on our own.

redlight districts? umm, hehe, you might want to visit the "Reeperbahn" in St.Pauli/Hamburg then:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Pauli

here are some places which are worth to visit too imo:

the cologne cathedral: http://www.koelner-dom.de/index.php?id=2&L=1
the rhine falls: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhine_Falls (ok, they are in switzerland, but at the german border)
the museum of modern art in frankfurt: http://www.mmk-frankfurt.de
the black forest area: http://www.schwarzwald.de/en/

and here a special tip: ludwigsburg! the famous bad_brain lives there.. :lol: besides me we have the biggest baroque palace in germany: http://www.ludwigsburg.de

:wink:

toast

"Reise"

Post by toast »

Thanks soooo much!!! Im bouncing out of my seat. I cant wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
So I will start learning german. Thats first on my list.
This will be my first trip w/out parents. *yay*
Oh yea whats the drinking age there? 16?
Curiosity killed the cat, I just have to check out the whole red light thing. It just might be pretty....
Oh, er... this is slightly odd question but... You know the country better than I do, If im alone (I look about 15, sidenote-im really 17), will anyone bother me?(Like guys that are assholes...) Any places to avoid?
In Spain I got bothered all the time.. So im hoping Germany would be different.

It would be funny if ''bad_brain" and I ran into each other... Not like we would know though...
That would be a story to tell...

Toast

sternbildchen

Post by sternbildchen »

You are allowed to drink beer and wine after you turn sixteen. Harder stuff (f.e. liquor) after you turn eightteen.

I'm 16 and I have never seen that a girl has been botherd by german guys ... , sounds rasistic but stay away from turkishly and russisch people in groups. It's not there are allways problems with them but sometimes there are ...

I'm sure you will enjoy it here in Germany. To which part of Germany are you going ? Or traveling through complete Germany ?

toast

Post by toast »

Well I am also going to Czech Republic and Poland....
So, its just the major cities in Germany.
Im not so bouncy about Poland... Its just Germany that rocks my socks.
Hehe, I'll be eighteen by the time I go there...
:) T