windows vista is out

...let us know what you think, free speech!

are u gona get vista

yes
29%
no
41%
maybe
6%
the computer says no!
18%
the computer says yes!
6%

Total votes: 17

ss1
On the way to fame!
On the way to fame!

windows vista is out

Post by ss1 »

are u gona get it and do u think its good and etc..

Nerdz
The Architect
The Architect
Location: #db_error in: select usr.location from sucko_member where usr.id=63;

Post by Nerdz »

No. I have it at job on new comp and there is not really big difference... I couldn't play with it for long bcz I had to serve customer but except all the new graphic interface, I don't see any major change...

IMO it look like they patch a mac to windows xp.
Give a man a fish, you feed him for one day.
Learn a man to fish, you feed him for life.

ulysse
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Post by ulysse »

nerdzoncrack wrote: IMO it look like they patch a mac to windows xp.
lol i like this sentence...
anyways i voted yes, but i wont get it now...
1st because not lots of apps and games are vista compatible
2nd because my comp wont run it smoothly
3rd if my comp wont run vista smoothly, imagine the games...

p99

Post by p99 »

I prefer to not waste my memory(and therefore time) on looks.
Not to mention all the extra restrictions put in by Microsoft.
1 hardware change and you have to purchase a new license :!:

I ran the beta on my machine for about a week. Big deal... they moved the search files function from the shortcut in the startmenu to being integrated....
Woo for origionality. Cmon peoplee have had google desktop for ages.

p99 != A fan of Vista

Stavros
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post by Stavros »

Where's the "Hell No!" option? :lol:

Not untill Vista is proven by a third party source that I just absolutely need it for gaming. I'm already torqued at Microsoft for making DirectX 10 Vista only. I really don't want to shell out a small fortune to be able to run DirectX 10. On top of that, it'll be first generation DX10 probably with compatability issues. Best to stay out a while and get the technology functioning properly. When that happens, then I'll seriously consider Vista.

Nerdz
The Architect
The Architect
Location: #db_error in: select usr.location from sucko_member where usr.id=63;

Post by Nerdz »

p99 wrote:Not to mention all the extra restrictions put in by Microsoft.
1 hardware change and you have to purchase a new license :!:
This is about the OEM version. As you can see:
arstechnica wrote: OEM software is also tied to the motherboard it is first installed on. Unlike the retail versions of Windows which can be transferred to a new computer, OEM versions are not transferable. What about upgrading hardware? Microsoft says that anything is fair game, except the motherboard. Replacing the motherboard in a computer results in a "new personal computer," which the company considers to be synonymous with a transfer. It's not permitted with an OEM edition of Windows.

Nevertheless, I've known users who got around this limitation by calling Microsoft and reporting that their motherboards died when they wanted to build a new computer. It is Microsoft's policy to allow motherboard swaps in instances where a system is defective or has suffered a hardware failure. But you shouldn't bank on this approach; there's no guarantee it will work and, well, liars don't get ice cream. Also, while retail versions of Vista include both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows, OEM versions are specific. You get one or the other. This follows from the per device restriction. The end result is that OEM versions may not be that attractive to users who frequently build new computers from the ground up.
I don't even want to pay for it even if it's cheap with OEM version...

sources: http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070130-8730.html
Give a man a fish, you feed him for one day.
Learn a man to fish, you feed him for life.

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

I voted yes, but only because I have to....imagine a customer wants me to fix his Vista system and I have never worked with it... :lol: but I'll install it on an extra box and keep XP, simply because I see no real improvements in Vista:
teletubbie-like 3D iface? who needs that, I use Windows Classic anyway.
more security? my XP box with SP1 as last patch is more secure than any fully patched boxes I've ever seen. and come on, how secure can Vista be when SP1 is already announced for it...MS should pay all Vista users as beta-testers..:lol:

pseudo_opcode
cyber messiah
cyber messiah

Post by pseudo_opcode »

i voted "computer says no" that is right now i cant think of running vista, for me linux will always remain the best, but as bad_brain said, we have to work with it no matter we like it or not, its part of our profession, this world eventually will grow to vista,just like it did from windows98 to XP, anyway,with vista i think i can have enough of eyecandy which i miss in bash.

floodhound2
∑lectronic counselor
∑lectronic counselor

Post by floodhound2 »

I am forced to get this damn op-system. I work on PC’s so I must be current. I have been running this beefed up candy coated resource hungry op-system for about a year now and I just want out of the Microsoft shit.

I am seriously leaning and learning Linux fedora core 4. It is a bit graphical and some of you old Linux users frown on this, but shit I have to start somewhere.
₣£ΘΘĐĦΘŮŇĐ

pseudo_opcode
cyber messiah
cyber messiah

Post by pseudo_opcode »

floodhound2 wrote: I am seriously leaning and learning Linux fedora core 4. It is a bit graphical and some of you old Linux users frown on this, but shit I have to start somewhere.
Linux pwns, your robots will feel good and healthy, :mrgreen:

p99

Post by p99 »

Hey man, learning linux is still learning linux. It doesn't matter what version.

I usede suse for over a year and didn't learn squat. Then I installed ubuntu with the urge to learn... and well I"m decent with the cli anyways.

Whether your learning or screwing around is the main difference. Suse came
installed with just way too many games. :?

Stavros
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post by Stavros »

In semi-related news:

I've heard that the courts have ordered Microsoft to release Windows98 as Open Source. If/when that happens and people fix the major problems such as limited Hard Drive capacity and the like, then I might just go gack to that.

Chaos1986

Post by Chaos1986 »

I Only Have Three Words NO! Resource Hog! :twisted: :evil:
If Man Made It Man Can Crack Or Hack It & If You Want To Be A True Hacker You Need To Keep Your Mind Open And Always Be Willing To Learn
[img]http://img384.imageshack.us/img384/9996/chaos19862ub.png[/img]

p99

Post by p99 »

Naw, Pick your current distro...... Linnux tends to be more compatible with things nowadays than 98.

I'm fine with XP. I just look through folders and delete everything I don't need(or hate).

No more alert box noises for me

I'm doubting that many things changed from 98 to xp source-wise.
MS might just claim that people will find vulnerabilities bla bla...

Lyecdevf
cyber Idi Amin
cyber Idi Amin

Post by Lyecdevf »

The more time I spend on windows XP the less I like them. It has come to a point where it is frustrating for me to work on them. So I decided that I am not going to upgrade to Vista. Instead I am going to go for linux. That is why I voted no.