Granmother

...let us know what you think, free speech!
Swan
Knight of the Sword
Knight of the Sword

Granmother

Post by Swan »

My nana is dying put simply. Shes in a lot of pain, and her death is taking a long time....guys please, I beg you, pray for her, and a quick death. I and she need it.

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

I will :cry:
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"

computathug
Administrator
Administrator

Post by computathug »

consider it done :(

shamir
Computer Manager
Computer Manager

Post by shamir »

I'm sorry to hear that, how old is she. :cry:

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

I am a fucking DNR

Post by DNR »

It takes a strong person to remain in a room with a dying person.
I have to do it at least a few times a month at my job.
<newbies: I work as a nurse assistant on a cardiac unit in a big hospital>

Believe me, the majority of people leave the dying person alone during their final hours/minutes. I have come to believe those people were selfish - they could not bear to be in the room, holding the dying person's hands - because they wanted to protect themselves.

From what? Reality? Facing their own mortality?

Why would they be afraid - they are not dying.

The funny thing is - when a patient tells me they have been told by the doctor they are dying, crying and unpset. They worry about their families, how they are going to take the news. I tell them that they will have to be strong for them, their family.

The most of the ones that die around here, arrive and never get better. Sometimes its a matter of hours, some times days, even weeks. In the mean time I see all kinds of fucked up things done to them. They are secured by wrist restraints, and a posey vest. The body knows it is dying, and tries to kill itself quicker by stopping eating and drinking water - so we'll stick a tube down their nose or even make a hole in their stomach for a feeding tube. An IV will give you all the water you need, so we'll keep you NPO. When your breathing or heart rate tries to stop itself, we'll give you meds to keep you going - even though you are dying. This goes on for a few days and weeks, while the family decides if they should make the patient a DNR, comfort care only.

Most of the family stop coming after the patient is decleared DNR. They can't stand seeing the family member, confused, and tied up. So for their last hours or days, they are alone. Even some staff members neglect the patient, leaving them soiled, unfed, in pain as they'll get their meds last. Some nurses try to be helpful and medicate the patient so they'll spend their last days sleeping.

The reason it is hard to stay in the room, it is because of feeling helpless. But there are somethings you can do. You keep them clean and warm, I try to have a tv on. I take care of them as any other patient. I do admit though, their triage/priority level is lower, especially when we get slammed with many other cardiac patients that have better prognosis.

The best thing I can do is look them in the eyes and touch them, to let them know I am there.

Be strong enough to go in to the room and sit down with her. Your grandmother deserves the respect, and should not be alone. You will learn a very important lesson of your life.

DNR

"What you leave behind is not engraved on a stone monument, but woven into the lives of others."
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

Losing_grip
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Re: I am a fucking DNR

Post by Losing_grip »

DNR wrote:It takes a strong person to remain in a room with a dying person.
I have to do it at least a few times a month at my job.
<newbies: I work as a nurse assistant on a cardiac unit in a big hospital>

Believe me, the majority of people leave the dying person alone during their final hours/minutes. I have come to believe those people were selfish - they could not bear to be in the room, holding the dying person's hands - because they wanted to protect themselves.

From what? Reality? Facing their own mortality?

Why would they be afraid - they are not dying.

The funny thing is - when a patient tells me they have been told by the doctor they are dying, crying and unpset. They worry about their families, how they are going to take the news. I tell them that they will have to be strong for them, their family.

The most of the ones that die around here, arrive and never get better. Sometimes its a matter of hours, some times days, even weeks. In the mean time I see all kinds of fucked up things done to them. They are secured by wrist restraints, and a posey vest. The body knows it is dying, and tries to kill itself quicker by stopping eating and drinking water - so we'll stick a tube down their nose or even make a hole in their stomach for a feeding tube. An IV will give you all the water you need, so we'll keep you NPO. When your breathing or heart rate tries to stop itself, we'll give you meds to keep you going - even though you are dying. This goes on for a few days and weeks, while the family decides if they should make the patient a DNR, comfort care only.

Most of the family stop coming after the patient is decleared DNR. They can't stand seeing the family member, confused, and tied up. So for their last hours or days, they are alone. Even some staff members neglect the patient, leaving them soiled, unfed, in pain as they'll get their meds last. Some nurses try to be helpful and medicate the patient so they'll spend their last days sleeping.

The reason it is hard to stay in the room, it is because of feeling helpless. But there are somethings you can do. You keep them clean and warm, I try to have a tv on. I take care of them as any other patient. I do admit though, their triage/priority level is lower, especially when we get slammed with many other cardiac patients that have better prognosis.

The best thing I can do is look them in the eyes and touch them, to let them know I am there.

Be strong enough to go in to the room and sit down with her. Your grandmother deserves the respect, and should not be alone. You will learn a very important lesson of your life.

DNR

"What you leave behind is not engraved on a stone monument, but woven into the lives of others."

Very well said. :)

@Baron
Done. how old is she?

Swan
Knight of the Sword
Knight of the Sword

Post by Swan »

she is 86

Losing_grip

Post by Losing_grip »

baron_samedi wrote:she is 86
Ah , a little older than my grand mother...

My grand mother is 84 turning 85 on may.

TheKingOfHearts

Post by TheKingOfHearts »

i hope she passes away quickly so that she is no longer in pain.
[url=http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/2034/oopsrg8.gif]/sig[/url]