Thoughts on OpenID

...let us know what you think, free speech!
CommonStray
Forum Assassin
Forum Assassin

Thoughts on OpenID

Post by CommonStray »

So im sure alot of you have heard about OpenId, a universal login famework usable between social or user enabled websites.

Well whats your take on it?

floodhound2
∑lectronic counselor
∑lectronic counselor

Post by floodhound2 »

Ill have to look it up.
₣£ΘΘĐĦΘŮŇĐ

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

never trust one source

Post by DNR »

OpenID to me is not a good idea. I don't like the idea that all your accounts are protected by one entity. There was talk about a universal ID, sort of like a passport, driver's license, auto insurance, bank card, SS card, and maybe even medical history all in one card.
The same reason people should not use the same password for all online accounts, is the same reason why you should not keep all your valuable data on one card or network repository. If one website gets hacked or one card reader gets exploited, a criminal hacker has every account you had.
Also Identity theft would be too easy, you'd need to exploit one agency-the one that issues the all-access card, rather than going to the SS admin office for the SS card, Secretary of State,for a driver's license, and another for a bank account or insurance card. Each different agency, with their different policies and controls could trip up a person trying to steal another's ID.

anyways just my two bits.

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

Stavros
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post by Stavros »

I'm going to have to agree with DNR.

One thing I don't get: they claim it's supposed to be "decentralized" yet all personal information is condensed into one ID. If anything that seems more centralized.

Or is my understanding of the decentralized concept wrong?

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

user-centric thinking

Post by DNR »

OpenID is a Single Sign-on protocol that solves the problem of having an individual login and password for every website. With OpenID, a user can register once with am Idenitity Provider (IdP) of their choice and then use that login on all OpenID _enabled_ sites.

OpenID is considered 'decentralized' because the user can choose any IdP.
An OpenID login is simply a URL such as http://DNR.myopenid.com
The URL identifies the IdP, myopenid.com
OpenID is increasingly gaining adoption among large sites, with organizations like AOL and Orange acting as a provider. In addition, integrated OpenID support has been made a high priority in Firefox 3[1] and OpenID can be used with Windows CardSpace, which is part of .NET Framework version 3.0 (the .NET Framework version 3.0 comes with Windows Vista by default and can be downloaded for Windows XP).
Certainly this is something to study if OpenID protocol is in use by large organizations, it is cross platform and several reputable coders are working on the idea. This is called "User-centric" kind of thinking, and certainly exploitable

Check this pdf by blackhat
https://www.blackhat.com/presentations/ ... ich-WP.pdf

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.