advice needed

...let us know what you think, free speech!
alien100
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

advice needed

Post by alien100 »

I have been boxing for a while now.. and my trainer has entered me in a competition that will start pretty soon.. my friends say that i will do very good but the problem is dealing with the "ring fear" this is actually my first competition but I have knocked down 22,21 year old guys at my sparring sessions.
The fear of the competition might stop me from achieving my goal!

I would appreciate some advice on dealing with fear??
By the way: I will be video recording my matches so I will post them lol
[img]http://img127.imageshack.us/img127/9128/sig3copyyybq4.jpg[/img]

Swan
Knight of the Sword
Knight of the Sword

Post by Swan »

i dont box, never have, but I have tried to deal with fear.

My methods are a little unorthodox, but they work.

FInd somewhere in your house, which is clear and free of space, where you wont be likely to trip over things. Make sure the room is totally dark, cove your eyes etc. Walk a certain # of steps without being able to see, and just trust in "letting go."

Another method I used was forcing my head under water, i would wait till my head became dizzy, and then wait a little longer, AND then pull my head up.

Meditating can also be of use, take a candle and focus on the top part of it, and only that part. Block out all distractions, after all you need 100% focus if you want to beat your opponent.

I used some more....extreme methods as well, if you feel ready for them PM me, ill give you an indication.

Good luck, and knock the fuckers teeth out! :D

maboroshi
Dr. Mab
Dr. Mab

Picture

Post by maboroshi »

Picture Everyone in there underwear

But seriously My teacher told me once. he told me if you can't fight under pressure then what good are you in combat... So in my Opinion you just got to go in and GIVER

anyway my two cents

Cheers

Maboroshi

n3rd
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by n3rd »

Fear nothing Die for something ;).

Just play for god in the ring, I used to do this with field hockey 1: it intimidates;2 people will fear you; 3 if people fear u your half way there ;)
[img]http://img580.imageshack.us/img580/8009/userbar2k.png[/img]

Lyecdevf
cyber Idi Amin
cyber Idi Amin

Re: advice needed

Post by Lyecdevf »

alien100 wrote:By the way: I will be video recording my matches so I will post them lol
I can not wait to watch! :D

If you want to deal with fear it is all about control. If you have full control of your mind and body you can conquer your fear. Remember that the guy in the ring may be afraid of you too. So you can use that to your advantage.

Come there early. That is what they say works on school exams. Maybe it works for fights as well!
We will either find a way, or make one.
- Hannibal

alien100

Post by alien100 »

thx for the fast replies guys feeling better already :) :)
the tournament starts in like 8th of january i just got a call from my trainer

i can try to make a training vid tomorrow me working on a bag and some shadow boxing if anyone is interested something like a sneak preview lol??

mo2332

Post by mo2332 »

alien100 wrote:I have been boxing for a while now.. and my trainer has entered me in a competition that will start pretty soon.. my friends say that i will do very good but the problem is dealing with the "ring fear" this is actually my first competition but I have knocked down 22,21 year old guys at my sparring sessions.

'
all i have to say is make sure u take a big shit before you goin so if you get hit hard you dont crap your pants.

alien100

Post by alien100 »

mo2332 wrote:
alien100 wrote:I have been boxing for a while now.. and my trainer has entered me in a competition that will start pretty soon.. my friends say that i will do very good but the problem is dealing with the "ring fear" this is actually my first competition but I have knocked down 22,21 year old guys at my sparring sessions.

'
all i have to say is make sure u take a big shit before you goin so if you get hit hard you dont crap your pants.
well usually i spar with heavyweights 220-230 pounds maybe and they hit pretty hard

and i am only a middleweight

Big-E
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Big-E »

Having played numerous sports, I can see where you're coming from. I played High School hockey, which is the equivalent of Football in the states - basically. Anyway, it's pretty big and we draw large crowds. I also played Midget AAA baseball which potentially could draw 1000 people depending on where we were playing. Anyway, the best way to get over that fear is to ignore everything - pretend you don't see it. You THINK it will bug you when you're up there, but it won't at all. Heck, I have to give a 10 minute presentation in Classics 2nd year University in front of 300 people - Now THAT is intimidating.

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

FIGHTS ON!

Post by DNR »

I won second place for fighting, a big stadium event with hundreds of fighters, got beat by a member of my own school so it was ok.

I spar a lot, and that helps overcome a lot of fear or just plain apprehension.

I guess what makes me so cool and ferocious, is that I put out 150%, balls out, You can't think of anything else when you got the force on full power.
I also consider my existence to be expendable, I'll invest everything I got for the right reasons, for that very moment.
Also, the best man always wins, if you enter the ring, at peace with yourself, with no regrets, and a honest heart - you will win. Do not enter the ring with envy, anger, or malice in your heart.

You are not alone in the ring.

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

alien100

Re: FIGHTS ON!

Post by alien100 »

DNR wrote:I won second place for fighting, a big stadium event with hundreds of fighters, got beat by a member of my own school so it was ok.

I spar a lot, and that helps overcome a lot of fear or just plain apprehension.

I guess what makes me so cool and ferocious, is that I put out 150%, balls out, You can't think of anything else when you got the force on full power.
I also consider my existence to be expendable, I'll invest everything I got for the right reasons, for that very moment.
Also, the best man always wins, if you enter the ring, at peace with yourself, with no regrets, and a honest heart - you will win. Do not enter the ring with envy, anger, or malice in your heart.

You are not alone in the ring.

DNR
cool thx

sternbildchen

Post by sternbildchen »

Fear nothing. Die for something .
Might sound a little bit harsh, but I agree with it.

Your boxing in a tournment. Nothing bad can happen to you. If it gets to bad someone will end the fight. You can even end fights on your own, if you want them to stop.

I've been training different martial arts for about 9 years. And boxing is one of the best sport for getting about the fear getting hit. Good luck!

computathug
Administrator
Administrator

take no shit

Post by computathug »

hey alien, well as you know already i boxed for about 10 years, had 19 fights and lost one on points. Theres only one reason that all will fail in the ring and i have seen it on numerous occasions.....stage fright. I don't want you to dwell on this but this is what causes boxers to freeze in the ring. Before you step in the ring you must forget everything around you. No friends or any one else there should be in your mind. Take time to meditate or relax and focus. See your self in the ring before you actually get in there. Warm up before you get into the ring as well. When you are at the gym training you will do an hour before even thinking about sparring so a nice but not exerting yourself too much warm up will do all the good. Another thing which may be hard at your age, and without sounding simple is sex and masturbation. Now this has seriously to be one of the worst things you can do before a fight and believe me when i say it takes the energy out of ya. I learned the hard way about this and was at it 2 hours before the fight i lost on points. In the rematch a few months later i destroyed him but it was an expensive lesson to learn. Now according to most pro's i have talked to, none will leave any sexual contact for at least 2 weeks before a fight.

Take this fight as you would any sparring match. Ignore the bright lights and the cheers and boo's of the crowd. The only people you should be interested in is your corner, the referee and of course your opponent. Remember he is a man like you. He feels pain just like you, he bleeds just like you. No man is immortal. Do not go into the ring with hate, anger or any other emotional feelings in your head. There is 2 people you and him see no one else, concentration and be relaxed. pick his weaknesses and exploit them.

Become free to yourself and the rest will follow!

Good luck Al, you know you can do it 8)

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

killer

Post by DNR »

I don't know about not smoking (wink), because I did it lots before sparring :lol: But definetly I agree on the no sex, and that masterbation thing, maybe at least not a couple of days before the fight.

Look, one last thing, you know - hack yourself. You have got to find your "rage switch" inside of you, you have to be the meanest, deadliest fighter anyone has ever seen. Balls out- You have to kill that guy in the ring, because he wants you dead too.

Brah, I wish I could be there, to spar with you, get you ready.

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

alien100

Post by alien100 »

thx guys i got a call from my trainer and he said we will be going into different clubs and spar with different people 1-2 weeks before the tournament..

maybe i should change my style.. ?? i am an orthodox fighter atm i tired switching for a very little while before but the footwork isnt so great with the southpaw style! or maybe just use it to confuse him?

soo.. no sexual activity lol and no anger in the ring .. be like really peacefull get him tired or do something like (look at the bottom ):
round 1 : i use speed just to like analyze his style?
round 2 : power ?
round 3 : speed and more power ??

or.. ??

btw: no one has won a fight from our club yet!! :?
all the lads had fights exept me and 2 other lads i think
trainer is not doing his job right imo
maybe things will change :?