What do you do when you're coding.

...let us know what you think, free speech!
Big-E
Administrator
Administrator

What do you do when you're coding.

Post by Big-E »

Sure, we all know that everyone is different. So I ask you this, what do you like to do when you're coding?

Personally, as always, I like to sip on beer while I am bashing on the keyboard. If not beer, coffee is a necessity. I also take creatine, so it's essentially that I get > 8 cups of water/day - I usually exceed 10 cups (easily) so I am often drinking water too. Other than that, I must have the keyboard on my lap (opposed to a tray or desk - odd I know) and its essential that I listen to music.

Now, what are your quirks?

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

ah yes, the calm feeling of coding.......

I usually enjoy a cola, some chocolate and really good music ^^

But it differs. Sometimes i can multitask at the same time, like code + IRC + ANIME + COLA + CANDY ^^

Sometimes i just sit in my underwear and with my bed covering over me =F
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"

mo2332
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Post by mo2332 »

well as you all know i just started coding, so i am still figuring out the perfect way to code for me. I usually will put on sum music that is semi loud and enjoy some sprite.Also i enjoy being near my bird, i have to be on msn/aim.
The weather i need to code is dark, as you can tell im a night person.I will probably develop a better mood.

floodhound2
∑lectronic counselor
∑lectronic counselor

Post by floodhound2 »

I too sip on beer even while at work. My job is very loose and we often sip oj and champagne while we work. I also like to curse and speak to my machine as if it were a demon that was trying to possess my soul. Especially when i encounter a problem that i cant seem to debug.

Other times I put on music and program until the wee hours of he morning only to remember how precious sleep is to me and how hard it is to get.
₣£ΘΘĐĦΘŮŇĐ

Big-E
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Big-E »

Interesting, my goal is to find a job where they have a tapped keg in the office. That is an obvious dream job. If I can't find that, I might start my own - build a kegerator and tapp my own keg. :)

Also, computers do have the nack of capturing ones soul whilst debugging stupid errors. Especially the stupid syntax errors, which result in you double checking all your algorithms. And music is definitely essential. :)

n3rd
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by n3rd »

cats wrote: Sometimes i just sit in my underwear and with my bed covering over me =F
that was a bit TO much information :P.
Big-E wrote: Interesting, my goal is to find a job where they have a tapped keg in the office. That is an obvious dream job. If I can't find that, I might start my own - build a kegerator and tapp my own keg.
try working as a bartender in a hot club?.
[img]http://img580.imageshack.us/img580/8009/userbar2k.png[/img]

Big-E
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Big-E »

I mean IT related position, I bounced a bit at University at the campus bar so I've been there and done that.

CommonStray
Forum Assassin
Forum Assassin

Post by CommonStray »

i like getting BJ's when i code

other than that i like to jam out with some Trance or Rock, drink beverages with high volumes of caffeine and chain smoke

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

get ready

Post by DNR »

I know I speak for a few people in here.

I smoke before I sit at the console, and I don't mean just tobbacy

I crank up the music, only to block out everything else.

I keep water and foods near the desk, you can't be distracted.

The worst I do is run outside and piss.

But, you get into a mindset where its is nothing but you and the cable, the console. Everything else is an annoyance.

Where are my oakleys...

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

shamir
Computer Manager
Computer Manager

Post by shamir »

I like to crack jokes when I'm coding.

I like to drink some ginger soda.

I like to be alone whan I'm coding.

thats all. :wink:

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

well, I also have to be alone when coding/working...the CPU architecture of my brain is pretty old already and has no multitasking abilities... :lol: that's why I always have to leave IRC or messenger when working.. :wink:

what I definitely need is green tea...loads of it! then some good music in the background (music style changed frequently, at the moment I can code best to old-school UK drum&bass). some candles are good too, best some with strawberry- or vanilla-fragrance.
and, of course, cigarettes....lots of them... :oops:

G-Brain

Post by G-Brain »

When coding I usually divide up my screen space with Ratpoison and have a space for writing the program with vi, vim or gvim, and a space for running the program. When I code, most of the time, that's all I do, I'm hardly ever on IRC or MSN when coding. I like having something to drink and / or eat when coding. No music, usually.
bad_brain wrote:the CPU architecture of my brain is pretty old already and has no multitasking abilities
The ability to multi task is presented by the OS, not the CPU. Sorry for being such a bitch, I'm writing my own operating system :)

n3rd
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by n3rd »

G-Brain wrote:When coding I usually divide up my screen space with Ratpoison and have a space for writing the program with vi, vim or gvim, and a space for running the program. When I code, most of the time, that's all I do, I'm hardly ever on IRC or MSN when coding. I like having something to drink and / or eat when coding. No music, usually.
bad_brain wrote:the CPU architecture of my brain is pretty old already and has no multitasking abilities
The ability to multi task is presented by the OS, not the CPU. Sorry for being such a bitch, I'm writing my own operating system :)
if we talk about a human wouldnt that be correct that the brain is the cpu?. we dont really have a OS now do we ;)
[img]http://img580.imageshack.us/img580/8009/userbar2k.png[/img]

Big-E
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Big-E »

Well, CPU = Brain and in some instances our OS could be our 'Soul'. ;)

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

G-Brain wrote: The ability to multi task is presented by the OS, not the CPU. Sorry for being such a bitch, I'm writing my own operating system :)
no problem, but I can be bitchy too:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multithrea ... ardware%29

:-99

I know, "tasking" is more used in context with software while "threading" is used in hardware context, but both describe the same process and there is no explicit standard that says "threading==hardware" and "tasking==software"...so the terms are interchangeable.