I am not a hacker

...let us know what you think, free speech!
isapiens
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

I am not a hacker

Post by isapiens »

I had this on my mind for a long time but never talked about it.

I dont think i am a hacker. I actually hate that word. The society made that word into something else and i dont want to be associated with it.

Who am i? I dont know.

Am i hacker?...
I am an electrical engineer; I guess that means I do like electronics and technology in general.
But I dont think i get excited every time i see an exploit, piece of code, etc....
When i see a piece of hardware, i dont want to instantly take it apart and see how it works. Isnt that the universal definition of a hacker?

I think its outdated. I remember reading the hackers manifesto for the first time and trying to relate to it and to the Mentor. Neh, it aint me. Maybe if i was born 10 years earlier it would be me, but not today. If i read it today, it sounds something like out of a Matrix Movie.

Today I dont have the freedom to explore for real. There is too much information. Learn this, learn that, this exploit, that exploit. All this information just clutters my brain. When i get nasty spyware i dont try to get rid of it. I just reinstall my machine.

Who am i? Who the fuck am i?
I am a rational man. Thats who i am.

There is no fucken internet revolution. There is no hackers underground and shit like that. You can not change the world by being a hacker. You can not change the world by being a pariah of the society. If you ask me, i think the entire scene is dying out.

I look at all new threads everyday and they bore me, they are all the same... what is the best antivirus?...what is the best keylogger?...problems with windows...windows crashing.... Its all bullshit. You know most of the answers to the questions you ask. And if you dont, google does.

I am rational. I dont care about antiviruses because i dont use them, because i dont run unknown exe files. I have never had a virus in my life.
I dont need a keylogger because i have a hardware keylogger that no one can notice.
I only care about stuff that somehow relates to me.

I adopt. There is so much to read and learn. Now that I have a job I have even less time. You gota pick what you learn carefully because you don’t have enough time.

Don’t go on and criticize every part of my rant. A lot of stuff that I said is vague and doesn’t even make sense to me. But I just wanted to let you know the general feel not the details, I don’t know the details myself.

I do wana know if you agree or disagree with some general stuff I said. Do you really think you are a hacker? Why? If not who are you? Am I the only one that thinks he is not a hacker?
Fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face.

uid0

Post by uid0 »

Well, I do agree with many points, let me see I can make my self clear about them :)

First: Yes, the word "hacker" has been missplaced for years, completely misleaded from the orginial term, and if you really think on that you may ask "what was the original term anyway?"

Maybe it was the media as many say, maybe it was hollywood, anyway, doesn't matter who misinterpreted the word in the first place, as of today, that word has so many meanings that actually it means nothing.

The word it self is to much overrated, some guy comes in and think "OMFG! I'm a hacker! I'm SQL injecting that DB!", but that won't makes you a hacker, maybe it makes you a pentester or in ther worst case, makes you someone that is able to use other people tool to do pentesting ^^

There's to much publicity about "being a hacker" "being the master of the digital work" "being a uber 1337!" but if you seek to have that "legend" on your bag you're only undefining yourself.

Second: Based on all that I know that I'm not a hacker because I don't even really know what that word means.

I can define myself as someone who like computers, but not every aspect of them interests me equally, I might be a little freak about computers also, while many people of my age goes some saturday in the night to some party I'm just setting in my computer working in a piece of code to my site or maybe trying an application that seem to be interesting at one time.

Am I spending so many days using my computer and based on that you could define me as a hacker? of course not, in the best case I'm just someone who though that didn't have anything better to do than being in the computer :)

Do what you like, be what you like to be but forget about "being a hacker", there's not such thing today, and maybe not ever...

Regards

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

I am nothing

Post by DNR »

I too shed the 'name' of hacker a long time ago too.
Yea, the media not only misled the public in what hacking was (they meant cracking!) but also they glorified it in a way like being a movie star or someone famous. So every damn kid with a computer said "oooh I am going to be popular, famous, and rich - I am going to be one of those hackers!"

I picked suck-o.com as a place to hang out, rather than the multitude of others - others that have neat-o sounding names like Darkmind, or Blackcode, etc (you know they picked the name just to sound cool to their friends). A lot of forums today are shit - I think we got all politically correct and opened the doors for every mother with a mobo. I joined suck-o because it appeared to be a intellectual discussion group. The fact that we have computers is only a small part of why we are here. Computers is just a medium-sized part of who we are, if we are not working in the field of IT, then we just discuss computers because they are needed to function for study, other work, and to be online. I like to think that I like computers mainly because they are a friend to me. I was a popular kid at one time, but then I grew up and started seeing people in a different light - and withdrew from the public. So I got in to the wire - the internet, and there I find my friends. My friends are people just like me. If any of the core members would meet one day face-to-face, they would pick up the relationship like it was just yesterday..
I do have a degree in CIS, I do have certs in Novell, and I have worked in IT. But, maybe like Isa is feeling, life moves on. I think it is by circumstance that now I work in a hospital and found something else I am good at. If offered a decent computer job, would I take it - sure.

Was 'hacking' a phase? No, I see hacking as a personality type remember? All those skills that I learned - not just the textbook stuff, but the mental abilities to perform better than most people. Remember, computers had me learn to multitask, make decisions faster- using a better,stronger logic tree, and the desire to question authority.

I think Isa might be ready to reach for the next level - a higher level of understanding of his purpose. Shedding the need for a title - hacker, is a sign of higher intelligence.

8)
DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

Lyecdevf
cyber Idi Amin
cyber Idi Amin

Post by Lyecdevf »

I remember when I was a kid and I took every thing that even looked like technology apart. I wanted to see what was inside the plastic container to see what makes it work. I remember once taking apart a vacume cleanser, taking out the electromotor and wiring it to the electricity of the apartment. Boy that was fun!

I am the sort of person who is interested in taking things apart and trying to use it for some other purpouse than it was originally meant to. I do not call my self a hacker because of that. I just think of my self as a curious person.
We will either find a way, or make one.
- Hannibal