sarcasm...the lowest form of wit

...let us know what you think, free speech!
computathug
Administrator
Administrator

sarcasm...the lowest form of wit

Post by computathug »

This is a reminder to members out there that this is meant to be a forum of discussion and not where we have something to prove. If you have something to prove there are other communities that will welcome you as there members are of the same attitude. This is a place where we can learn and teach others and offer different solutions to each other. If we all new everything then whats the point of a community. Can this not be done in a normal civilized manor. And for those who don't think that i mean them read here and then ask yourself again!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarcasm

Please respect other members posts and comments or if you cant, then don't bother answering at all :!:

Im not naming any body in this, its more than one person so let this just be the end of it and start again and enjoy the rest of the day 8)

*quote*
every day do at least one good deed :wink:

G-Brain
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Post by G-Brain »

That's it, no more sarcasm guys.

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

is this some politically correct shit?

Post by DNR »

:-k
I suppose in a perfect world, we could all be so polite and proper.

I think to me sarcasm is a release, as the wiki said, it is used in place of anger, to inject humor into the situ.

I also think it is a warning of sort, it can let the other person know that they are testing the patience of the other. I notice that the sarcasm is used on threads where the poster failed to read the rules of the forum, or even perform the most basic tasks of searching the forum or even reading the topic being discussed.

So what is to be used in place of sarcasm? Do we just delete posts that fail to follow the rules or ban people that just want a hand-out?
The admins need some sort of tool to provide warning - and noobies fear sarcasm - hence they might make an effort to do their work before posting. Otherwise, we would need another warning/punishment system in place.

I guess for using sarcasm, I do at least respect rank. For example, I would think twice before rebuking or nailing a suck-o core member with sarcasm. Rank has its privileges, it was earned, and the right to not be rebuked is earned. I completely understand c-thug point of making this thread, he is right in point. C-thug already has my respect - earned it, as I have earned his respect. So he can get a pass anytime from my biting wit. :wink:

New members are a dime a dozen (or 100 for a euro!) many come and go, and will never make staff/admin status of suck-o. In the mean time, the core members have to unselfishly answer the questions posed in the forums - that is what suck-o is. Each core member has their own response - and I think that we have done reasonably well considering the circumstances of a public forum.

BTW, I do check out other forums - and either they are heavily edited - cleaned up for public consumption. Or they are raw and gritty, just like the real world. If you want a nice clean environment - stay on AOL. If you want to play with the big dogs, prepare to get bit sometimes.

If this was a vote, I would say "No" to banning sarcasm.
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

buxtabul

Post by buxtabul »

If sarcasm is the lowest form of wit, what is the highest form of wit?

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

what!

Post by DNR »

are you being sarcastic? :evil:

:lol: j/k

Hmm the highest form of wit would have to be something intelligently crafted, humorous to every person that sees it, and greatly appreciated by all humankind.

Since they are rare, not everyone gets a joke, and not everyone will think it was so clever. We are stuck with the lower forms of wit.

Glad I could clear this up.
:wink:

BTW sarcasm is banned, and puns will be next. So start getting clever mate!

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

isapiens

Post by isapiens »

I am sorry but i dont get it. Are you being sarcastic with this thread or not?

The subject of your thread is "Sarcasm... the lowest form of wit"

Reading the wikipedia page you gave us it says that is a quote by Oscar Wilde. And by saying that he was being sarcastic himself. I hope you noticed that.

But i am on the same page with you guys on the rest of the issue. There is a difference between sarcasm and just being a jerk. And it is easy to cross that line without even knowing it.

No matter if you are being sarcastic or not, your each post should have some meaning to it, so we dont have a webpage of useless back and forth comments.
Fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face.

rhysh

Re: what!

Post by rhysh »

DNR wrote:are you being sarcastic? :evil:

:lol: j/k

Hmm the highest form of wit would have to be something intelligently crafted, humorous to every person that sees it, and greatly appreciated by all humankind.

Since they are rare, not everyone gets a joke, and not everyone will think it was so clever. We are stuck with the lower forms of wit.

Glad I could clear this up.
:wink:

BTW sarcasm is banned, and puns will be next. So start getting clever mate!

DNR
old saying

you can please all of them some of the time,you can please some of them all the time but you can never please all of them all the time