[SCIENCE] Large Hadron Collider (LHC)

...let us know what you think, free speech!
str33tl0rd
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

[SCIENCE] Large Hadron Collider (LHC)

Post by str33tl0rd »

hello all

The rumour of the black hole that was thought to be formed and "destroy" our earth all together was pretty funny, but i thought the seriuose part and the scientific part was actually the collision that will occur between the two semi-atomic particles.........

Steven Hawking said: he will bet $100 it won't succeeed............
what do you think?
A fools mind is at the mercy of his tongue and a wise mans tongue is under the control of his mind.~ Imam Ali (A.S)

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

if it works or not: total waste of money, I am sure those billions of bucks could have been used for better things.
and well, I kinda doubt it'll work anyway, I don't have too much trust into such "high-tech geniuses" that can't even set up a secure computer network (check the news on the start page).... :lol:

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

can I play with it?

Post by DNR »

hmmm not sure I would bet against Steven Hawkings, but then its not like he can come after me to collect on it. :lol:

Well, remember how they discovered nuclear energy, some dumb ass got exposed to radiation because it was something new and unknown. My money is they blow it up by colliding the wrong particles, maybe even turn it in to the world's largest EMP weapon and kill all the circuitchips within 1,000 miles... 8O or not...

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

Stavros
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post by Stavros »

I'm not really sure what to make of it. I mean I'm pretty sure the scientists know what they're doing, but then again scientists have been wrong in the past. I guess we'll just have to sit tight and wait and see what happens.

Big-E
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Big-E »

I'm good to go, wrapped my house in tinfoil on the 10th to protect me on the 11th. Lots of work, though.

Seriously, I don't think it`s a huge advancement for humanity right now - in fact I don't even think they will gather anything from this experiment for years to come. To much data was generated and they are not even sure what they are looking for. Well, other than different types of matter which may or may not exist.

My theory, this was a means to keep brilliant minds occupied so that they could not spend their time on something useful which could benefit humanity. I want a fucking tour of the moon, make a better means of space travel..something...else, at least.

puto
suck-o-fied!
suck-o-fied!

Post by puto »

it's said it's unlikely lets hope Stephen Hawking's isn't giving us bad information over here.But you never know what might happen but anyway I'm a bit exited weather to see if they do or don't discover the Higgs Boson Not to worrier about the hole black hole thing.
Intelligence merely allows you to be more elaborately and ornately disastrously wrong.

Grombo

Post by Grombo »

i still dont understand wtf an LHC is. i found an article which voices my views perfectly:
http://www.ninjapirate.com/content.php?f=hadron.html

worth a read, worth more time than the large hadron collider got anyways
[img]http://img181.imageshack.us/img181/7766/impracticalskillslw4.gif[/img]

str33tl0rd

Post by str33tl0rd »

b-b what other thing do you think they could've spent those billions of bucks in order to serve for the advancement of humanity

....i have heard that the only reason why the manager of the project is running is to get the noble prize...so im sure he has something in his sleeves...i say he knows what he is doing as he is spending so much on this project so he could get the noble prize but i personally think it is a great idea and if it works out, it could be actually very useful to humans IF they find new dimensions of our universe........

thats funny, they can't secure their boxes but are doing shit that big....
A fools mind is at the mercy of his tongue and a wise mans tongue is under the control of his mind.~ Imam Ali (A.S)

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

they could have spent the money for the education system, support people in need, build giant solar power plants in deserts, research eco-friendly ways to generate energy, whatever....I simply don't see any benefit in this project. I mean, let's assume they find out how the universe arose...so what? can we build a new one then? would it have ANY positive impact on mankind and our lifes? not at all....for me it's like we are so into the future that we forgot about the present.

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

Exactly, it is like they are so focused on taking apart an atom, when the world is falling apart around them. Our search for more knowledge does not mean we forget everything else.

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

n3rd
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by n3rd »

DNR wrote:Exactly, it is like they are so focused on taking apart an atom, when the world is falling apart around them. Our search for more knowledge does not mean we forget everything else.

DNR
I think you guys are missing a few key points here.
(btw im not a physics whiz but I know a bit about the LHC)

What they do is the following, they have a 27km long sewer line. in which they launch particles almost at the speed of light. the particles will then collide on eachother which releases energy equalivant to the big bang.

what does this actually give us information wise? well while the particles crashed, new elements are created, if we understand how these elements are created we could design a system that substracts these elements and we could harvest them in large quantities (as the particles are infinite unlike the solid matter on earth).

so it comes down to the following simplified theory; we are trying to re-create the universe.

now some people might say that a black hole can erect from this procedure and they are right....it is possible....after bilions of years ^^.

I think that if they continue this research they could find zero point energy :)

(I know this shit because I recently saw a documentary regarding the LHC on National Geographic :P)
[img]http://img580.imageshack.us/img580/8009/userbar2k.png[/img]

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

the main point in this experiment is to prove that quarks are not the smallest pieces that exist. a nucleus is made of protons and neutrons, some years ago scientists said those consist of even smaller pieces called quarks...now they say quarks consist of even smaller pieces named higgs-bosons, and this is what the experiment is about. the discovery of new elements is just "not totally excluded" (quote of the scientists).... :wink:

Propane

LHC

Post by Propane »

I'm no physics expert, nor a myth person. However, I've put 2 and 2 together and somehow reached 5. I think that the Mayan (I believe) calendar ends in 2012, is finally when some guy sets up the LHC wrong and BAM, we start the universe over. Lol, conspiracy theory at its greatest. :lol:

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

meh, end of the world is delayed 2 months now anyway because they broke that thing...I bet they use Vista... :lol:

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

hey in truth I agree this testing could be useful, as b_b said, we are trying to learn about small objects, as in nanotechnology.

DNR
-