Goodbye Vista, Windows 7 around the corner

...let us know what you think, free speech!
skip
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Goodbye Vista, Windows 7 around the corner

Post by skip »

formerly codenamed Blackcomb and Vienna

When Steve Sinofsky took the stage on Tuesday at the Microsoft Professional Developer Conference, the senior vice president was willing to confess some past sins with Vista. His presentation was the first public demonstration of the new Windows 7 user interface, and showed how Microsoft intends to change Windows 7 to fix the problems that exist in Vista, and indeed in earlier versions of Windows.

Even Microsoft can’t hide or ignore the cold reception that Vista has received. Sinofsky identified a few key things that caused problems. First, the Windows “ecosystem”, the third-party software, hardware, and user training, wasn’t ready for the extensive changes that came in Vista. The driver model changed, which caused lots of hardware headaches at launch. The User Account Control (UAC) feature broke applications and frustrated users who hadn’t seen the behavior in XP. Windows 7 doesn’t make any changes to the ecosystem, and provides additional ways that users can reduce the number of UAC prompts without turning it off completely.

more here

Code: Select all

http://techtalk.pcpitstop.com/2008/10/28/microsoft-we%25e2%2580%2599re-sorry-but-we%25e2%2580%2599ll-make-it-up-to-you/
Release Date: Expected between H2 2009 and January 2010 or on June 3, 2009

screenshots

Windows 7 source
Image Image Image

Still_Learning

Post by Still_Learning »

You wrote "windows 7 source" do you have it? have you tried to compile it, what happened? please share

computathug
Administrator
Administrator

Post by computathug »

hmmmm so after admitting defeat, i am wondering if they will reimburse all those unfortunate people that have either upgraded or been forced into having it pre-installed. I wonder what this new OS has in store for all the new users :lol:

I think you misunderstood the context of source buddy. It was meant as in where he got the sources from not source code :wink:

TheKingOfHearts

Post by TheKingOfHearts »

lmao. Im glad i kept my XP and 2000 genuine disks and said "fuck off" to Vista.

ive used vista pirated and it really sucked it took forever to do stuff
and it also didnt properly recognize my popular Realtek soundcard

they tried...but i think they rushed it as a release date
rather than just waiting it out for Windows 7

*sign* ever since Gates left MS is just not the same.

btw the 1st picture is photoshopped and a really crappy attempt too.
its more than obvious haha.
[url=http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/2034/oopsrg8.gif]/sig[/url]

floodhound2
∑lectronic counselor
∑lectronic counselor

Post by floodhound2 »

Vista reminds me of Windows ME. A complete failure, yet vista is running smoothly on my PC's. I blame part driver programmers / hardware manufactures and part Microsoft. Well time will tell.

einax17
On the way to fame!
On the way to fame!

Post by einax17 »

I think vista sucked is because.. they re-wrote all the files.. Idk, was just guessing

rhysh

Post by rhysh »

i broke my laptop because of vista,my screen is fucked and im not using vista cus i wanted too,it was preloaded and i simply dont have time to make backups,reformat and instal xp,but for those who want a "genuine" version of xp that passes all genuine checks etc,just say so,and ill upload and give to u in pm ;)

einax17
On the way to fame!
On the way to fame!

Post by einax17 »

^Torrents! haha just kiddin > .< i dunno :P

str33tl0rd

Post by str33tl0rd »

what i read was the Microsoft has announced that this version of Windows is the securest of all. Vista really did suck and it still sucks, my uncle has it and he is fed with it...i had used it only for a night and i wanted to break the computer too....

i wish its a better thin this windows viena
A fools mind is at the mercy of his tongue and a wise mans tongue is under the control of his mind.~ Imam Ali (A.S)

floodhound2
∑lectronic counselor
∑lectronic counselor

Post by floodhound2 »

I think that security is a joke. Why is it Microsoft's responsibility to make the operating system secure? Why not make an operating system that is stable and let security responsibility go to - out of house programmers. I always want speed and never run anti virus or any security programs, at minimal a firewall. I don't want security I want stability and thus I wish Microsoft would meet my needs.

Ergh I am hung over so if this seems off you know why.

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

In God We Trust, All Others We Monitor

Post by DNR »

I agree with Floodie on this aspect, Internet security should not be the responsibility of the OS.

The OS has to handle file access privileges, it has to securely keep the users login, remember its group and its r/w/d/.. privileges. It has to handle the actual secure login of its users. The OS has to be trusted to maintain your file system reliably and securely. You tweak your OS right down to the bare essentials, you slave over your OS hour after hour, you read all the tech texts, until you finally 'trust' it.

I am just talking about the operating system itself. Now when you connect the computer or LAN to the Internet, you should have external security apps.

Your trusted OS could be corrupted by virus, active scripting, email bombs, port scans, and other malware. How would you know? If you don't use another third-party tools or even the tools included with Windows or nux - you'll have no choice but to trust your system with blind faith. It doesn't matter if the OS has its own firewall or AVP application - once the OS is corrupted - you can't trust it.

I just never trust just one application, or the OS by itself. You just want to have another way to verify what the OS is doing for you.

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

TheKingOfHearts

Post by TheKingOfHearts »

Microsoft and Security..example below
[url=http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/2034/oopsrg8.gif]/sig[/url]

str33tl0rd

Post by str33tl0rd »

you see because Windows is not practically somethin purposed for programmers and other computer pros, it has to have security that comes with the OS, because it is actually meetin the criteria of users whose expectation of an OS is that its secure, entertaining, user friendly and more of this things i see on these websites. ( it still also depends from which POV you look at window, some still might think it can meet the needs of computer pros)
thats the reason microsoft exposes such modifications each time a new version is released.

@ king hearts, LMAO, good example that is
A fools mind is at the mercy of his tongue and a wise mans tongue is under the control of his mind.~ Imam Ali (A.S)

rhysh

Post by rhysh »

yeah.tooo bad i did break my vcomp,rofl i still havent repaired it haha

pseudo_opcode
cyber messiah
cyber messiah

Post by pseudo_opcode »

vista is indeed the most secure OS of all, it so slow, takes up all the resources, so that you cant do anything, how the hell do you expect any hackers or viruses to do anything?
see.. secure!!

btw i got windows 7(vienna) running on one of my boxes, i dont know if its hacked XP, but it looks like vista and runs like XP..