Cat5e through Cat7

...let us know what you think, free speech!
Big-E
Administrator
Administrator

Cat5e through Cat7

Post by Big-E »

I am currently in the process of doing the wiring in the new office, I am debating between Cat5e cabling or Cat7, perhaps something between. Priced out, Cat5e will cost about $40 and Cat7 almost double - I am just wondering if the extra allocation of data transfer and shielded pairs is worth it? Cat7 is capable of transferring 10Gbit over 100m, and proven to transfer 100gbit over 70m, who knows how soon this type of hardware will be available to consumers? 3 years? 2 years? Do you think it would be good to be proactiv in this situation? Running wires in walls is pretty much/is impossible is most houses without ripping the walls off..again.

As far as running cables, I am very competent with that as I have done it before where my job required me to do so. So no lectures there..just interested in your thoughts.

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

hm, if you want the best balance between price and performance I recommend Cat6, it's good for Gigabit ethernet....and even if you're not using Gigabit connections it's still better than Cat5 because of the improved shielding.
Gigabit ethernet is still not standard (100MB is still the most used), so I wouldn't worry about 10 GB Ethernet already....when this will become a standard there are surely already Cat12 cables available... :lol: