Broke my computer. :(

...let us know what you think, free speech!
Big-E
Administrator
Administrator

Broke my computer. :(

Post by Big-E »

So, I dropped my laptop and it stopped working..I took it apart and, well ..nothing looks wrong. Anyway, I said fuck it...it`s a three year old laptop and it`s been through a tough time - so it`s time to retire it. Here is the good part, as I don't ask for Christmas gifts I decided I would buy myself a new system, so here is what I got:

AMD Phenom X4 9550 @ 2.2ghz
ASUS M3A78-EM motherboard
Corsair XMS2 TWIN2X4096-6400C5 2x2GB RAM
GEFORCE 9500GT
Corsair TX650W 650W
Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 3.5IN 500GB SATA2

I think it`s a decent system, came to about $700CAD after taxes and handling, that is before I send in $120 worth of rebates - but we all know how those go, you have to buy the product between day X and day Y at store Z before 2:22PM of the day before the first blue moon, or else they are invalid (going by experience). Anyway , later I will add better cooling and a better chassis; I will wait for the Christmas sales to do that, this was on a needed basis, so spur of the moment thing. The rest of the stuff can wait. I am going to pick up another 22" LCD Monitor to make dual 22" LCD's and possibly another 9500GT, for a decent rig. Should be here in 3 days or less as I paid extra for air shipping. Whatcha think?

computathug
Administrator
Administrator

Post by computathug »

Here's what i think from my google shopping list 8O cheapest price by the way

AMD Phenom X4 Quad Core 9550 (2.2Ghz) £102.35
ASUS M3A78-EM Motherboard AM2+ AMD £69.86
Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 4GB Kit 5-5-5-18 ... £53.99
GeForce 9500 GT - 512 MB GDDR3 - PCI ... £58.00
Corsair Memory 650W TX SERIES ATX - CMPSU-650TXUK £78.29
Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 3.5IN 500GB SATA2 £45

407.49 British Pound = 760.224 Canadian Dollar

ready built and delivered i would say you got your self a pretty good bargain and a mighty fine machine in the making

:wink:

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

good system and good price.... :D
what CPU cooler you got? or is it a boxed CPU and you'll use the default one? :-k

the reason why I ask is that I will have to buy a new CPU cooler for my new system soon, and would be good to have some reviews....I don't want to end up with one that makes noise like a vacuum cleaner on amphetamines... :lol:

Big-E
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Big-E »

Right now, it is just stock - after christmas when the real sales are around, I will pick up a new chassis and some cooling. The PSU is supposed to be really quiet, apparently the stock heatsink/fan is decent with respect to both the thermal cooling and decibels that comes stock anyway, hopefully I will be able to find out this week.

maboroshi
Dr. Mab
Dr. Mab

My CPU Cooler

Post by maboroshi »

My CPU Cooler == No CD Drive Drive bay Plugs missing and an open side panel for pure style

Plus the air cooling makes it go faster

:-)

I will take pictures

Nerdz
The Architect
The Architect
Location: #db_error in: select usr.location from sucko_member where usr.id=63;

Post by Nerdz »

I heard that removing the side pannel was not good for heat problem because of the air flow... But I guess if you stick a fan to it then..
Give a man a fish, you feed him for one day.
Learn a man to fish, you feed him for life.

Still_Learning
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Post by Still_Learning »

I've got a fan on my side panel (did not install it myself) but was only like 8 to 15$ and seems like a awesome investment, you would not beleive all the dust i have to clear from that fan sometimes
Gone

n3rd
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by n3rd »

Nerdz wrote:I heard that removing the side pannel was not good for heat problem because of the air flow... But I guess if you stick a fan to it then..
it depends a bit.

hot air always rises so if you have open panels, the fans should be able to intake fresh air at a higher rate then recycled air that steadily gets a higher temperature.
[img]http://img580.imageshack.us/img580/8009/userbar2k.png[/img]

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

Dust proofing is real important, whether you can see it or not, dust puts a fine layer of 'insulation' all over your interior parts. Dust is cement dust, human dust, animal dust, smoke, dirt tracked in, all the by-products of decay - and it will over heat your components no matter how much air is blowing over it.

Every .mil spec rackmount I built had filters outside of the fans. I noticed many computers sold today, servers even, that did not even have a paper filter to keep dust from being sucked in to the box.

Don't run your box on the floor, near a air vent, or let your cat sleep on it because its warm.
Install a filter.

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.