substances

...let us know what you think, free speech!
nightkid
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

substances

Post by nightkid »

what are your thoughts on mind altering substances effecting your computer creativity skills, by that i mean coming up with scripts or figuring out a network problem? and if you want to mention what substances do you seem to enjoy? i dont want to turn this into "i love to get messed up" thread but some substances make people more creative or put them in a state of mind to concentrate better.
from my research alcohol is a major no no with coding, when i refer to alcohol i am talking about bourbon as the people i talked to don't know when to quit and are just not capable of functioning on a intelictual level.
marijuana is one of the chosen drug as it relaxes and stimulates the mind but that is usually short lived as marijuana gives you the "munchies" and soon enough the person is eatting and then quickly becomes tired yeilding their motivation to function and limits their brains in creativity.
DXM seems to be the favorite drug among cyberpunks as when they arent raving it gives them a dissaociative feeling so distractions are limited and research shows that time seems to come to a stop as in hour feels like several, so that would in theory bring more productivity out of the person if they were concentrated in networking or programming..and as marijuana gives a sense of creativity.

i dont encourage substance use i'm only enquiring about how they effect you or your opinions on them. as they help some people in their activities.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v328/trenchcoatskrilla/biohazard.gif[/img]

floodhound2
∑lectronic counselor
∑lectronic counselor

Post by floodhound2 »

Well when I smoked weed I thought I was more creative, but now I am clean and have done some of my best work in my life. I do drink a beer with dinner but never getting fucked up anymore.

Perhaps caffeine is the best drug while I program.
Weed is good for snowboarding and chilling.
Alcohol is not good for anything imo.

isapiens

Post by isapiens »

adderall. its magic. i dont know about creative but it will get shit done. Most people use it to study for tests. I realized i dont need help to study so i used it to do something that i enjoy, like read a book or clean my computer... it was great. I bet i could learn an entire coding language in a day with that shit.

Sideeffects: you might not eat all day. Removed - No inappropriate/insulting comments please. You may actually hurt someone. -Gogeta70
oops sorry, sometimes i go overboard
Last edited by isapiens on 24 Dec 2008, 12:52, edited 2 times in total.
Fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face.

Lyecdevf
cyber Idi Amin
cyber Idi Amin

Post by Lyecdevf »

Red Bull would be the thing for me when I feel a lack of energy but I feel motivated to hack at my keyboard for hours at a time. Although I have not really done a lot of energy drinks and only started using them lately.

As far as drinking is concerned I do not feel like it helps in any manner at all while I am behind a computer. In fact alcohol is not my sort of thing. I do not think I ever got really drunk. You have to drink so much and it takes a while for it to take effect. Not so with weed. Weed has an instantaneous effect and I love that feeling when you inhale...I love it. Some times I get so high I fly away, because I do skunk which is a stronger drug than weed. You can go and look that up on the net since googling is our thing I do not feel like explaining here right now. With alcohol I never get that. In fact some times I get the feeling that with alcohol things seem even worse...yeah...is it just me...with weed...skunk I forget about ever thing.

I have been thinking of installing slackware on my system and getting high...and just playing around with the settings...and getting high but that I would have to do that often. I mean every time I would want to do some thing on slackware I would need to get high but as DNR pointed out you do not want the drug to use you. So for me here and there a little bit of weed is as much as I need.
We will either find a way, or make one.
- Hannibal

Still_Learning

Post by Still_Learning »

I would agree that alcohol is worse then weed. If anything Weed should be legalized and alcohol illegal, you cant overdose on pot , its impossible, no one has ever died of an overdose. Plus look at alcoholics VS potheads, alcoholics are ussually disruptive & violent, while potheads are ussually peaceful and easy going. I think i beleive in natural drugs that come from the earth mushrooms are good too, take a trip every couple years is good. Makes you think about life and all that funky stuff.. i dont really beleive in all the synthetic drugs like xanax, vicotin, ect.. it is all a scam to get you hooked legally and make the healthcare companys and docctors lots of money. Even in the bible it says to use all the plants from the earth. Peyote cactus is ok with me as well. but hardcore psycadelics like that should not be used often, should be treated like a ritual or something like the native indians use it. Pot is ok for everday use, alot better then cig's atleast they do something. Allthough pot does make people a little lazier, and affect your short term memory. The best for codeing i would say would be a caffine / pot mixture (if your going to use)

I have been sober before or had to be for probation for a year one time, and could tell a big difference when i had all of the pot out of my system (30 days after last usage) so of course the best is to not use at all, but for me after a grueling day of work people cussing me out on the phone all day ect.. nothing is better then lighting one up and surfing the web, or watching one of my favorite tv shows. Since the beginning of time humans have always used some sort of mind altering substance, my favorite is pot.
Gone

ph0bYx
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by ph0bYx »

I'm not using any substance, I've tried coffee to stay awake a night and study but failed.
I too have some sort of ADHD, well not diagnosed but I know it's something out of the order, but I try to control it in a mind level. I try hard to concentrate and so train my mind. Who knows, if I'm consistent enough I might cure myself :D
Anyway, I don't mean to offend anyone, but I see using substances as a defeat. I have a lot of trust in my mental strength and believe that I can do anything if I put my mind into it, with concentration being one of those things. It's a bit hard to explain, but with a bit of knowledge on manipulating the power of suggestion you can do a lot of things. I feel that suggestion is a powerful mind tool, but to not go more into off topic I'll stop here. ;)

Still_Learning

Post by Still_Learning »

concentration + weed = not good, this explains why alot of threads go off topic here probuly, we have so many potheads on here :lol: but yeah ph0bYx is on the right track, its best not to do any at all. But thats his personal choice. I like to smoke \:D/
Gone