Business question

...let us know what you think, free speech!
Gogeta70
^_^
^_^

Business question

Post by Gogeta70 »

My brother asked me a question earlier today because he doesn't know how to go about this exactly. What he wants to do is open an online store for environmentally safe products (for those that want to 'go green'). What he wants to know is how to go about becoming a reseller for the products he has found from various manufacturers. I assume he needs to contact them, of course, but what else would be involved and how would he accomplish this?

Thanks in advance for any help.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It works on my machine...

n3rd
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by n3rd »

-create a company (otherwise tax authorities will rob u blind for not paying taxes)
- open a bank account for the company
- write a business plan if needed for the bank
- marketing plan (how to promote your website to generate customers)
- do market research in to where your customer group lives (so that u can better target that audience)

Thats a start.
[img]http://img580.imageshack.us/img580/8009/userbar2k.png[/img]

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

yeup!
I don't know how it works in the US, but here all you need is a registered company, registration cost just about 50 bucks and when done you will get your company-tax-ID number....then you can contact other companies and make business on reseller-level (the first thing they ask for is the tax ID).
:wink:

Still_Learning
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Post by Still_Learning »

some people prefer a corporation instead, because if some reason someone sues your business, then your business takes the hit. If you start a company or business instead of a corporation then you personally get hit by the lawsuit damages instead of the corporation.
Gone

n3rd
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by n3rd »

a corporation is more expensive ;)

besides, by having excellent terms and conditions you can prevent being sued over small things.

u start your business small any way so there is no use in making a corporation (as a corporation can be taken over aggresivly (as a corporation does not have 1 owner, it has multiple) so if u want to stay in control u best start with small business practice)
[img]http://img580.imageshack.us/img580/8009/userbar2k.png[/img]

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

There is also LLP Limited Liability Partnerships. I also have(had) a business registered so I could open a business account. This part was important as it separated my money in my personal account from the business account. The next step is expensive - liability insurance.
Laws vary by location, but any lawsuits on the website will be based on the laws of where it is hosted.

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

Still_Learning

Post by Still_Learning »

well... yeah they are more expensive.. i know a small business lisence is only 50$ to get then you have to report earnings to pay tax ussually quarterly, cant escape the irs

i think what our looking for is probuly a DBA (Doing business as) lisence, depends on what state your in , on how you get it. here there is a office and it costs like 50 to 60$ or you can do it online legalzoom.com is a pretty good service
Gone