Artificial Intelligence

...let us know what you think, free speech!
Insection
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Artificial Intelligence

Post by Insection »

Ok, i have made my decision, i want to be a AI scientist.

Im still currently at school (17yrsold) and i want to know what i have to do to become an artificial intelligence researcher/scientist.

I mean, what are the key subjects? Will i need excellent computing skills? Will i need knowledge in robotics? Will i need to learn about the human brain? Excellent maths? Common sense? .. Duh

Ewww so many questions.

Guy if anyone who knows about AI could outline it for me, it will be great.

Im really passionate in AI and definetly see myself creating the first robotic intelligent brain. -oooo spoke to soon

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

AI links

Post by DNR »

AI lab, Stanford Uni
http://www.ksl.stanford.edu/

SRI AI center
http://www.ai.sri.com/

CYC corp
http://www.cyc.com/

Science Applications International Corporation
http://www.saic.com/

Structural Informatics Group
http://sig.biostr.washington.edu/research/ai/

Just a few links of corporations and Unis you should look into if you want a career in AI.

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

Insection

Post by Insection »

mmm, they are in america..

Then i definetly will go to america to work

Big-E
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Big-E »

Insection wrote:mmm, they are in america..

LOL Looking at America, I am pretty sure everyone else is saying the exact opposite. Over 600k layed off last week.

Still_Learning

Post by Still_Learning »

Big-E wrote:
Insection wrote:mmm, they are in america..

LOL Looking at America, I am pretty sure everyone else is saying the exact opposite. Over 600k layed off last week.
Yeah there are alot of problems going on in the country right now, but that does not mean people are flocking to move out of here. You have to deal with the problems, a real American will not just flight the country because there are some problems. You stand in your spot and deal with them as they come.
Gone

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

Big-E wrote:Looking at America, I am pretty sure everyone else is saying the exact opposite. Over 600k layed off last week.
well, that's kinda all over the globe at the moment....the key is to be a certified expert, and you always have to be up to date with the newest techniques. real experts are always needed, nowadays even more than ever....being a real expert also makes it hard for a company to find a substitute for you.
but ok, it's not THAT easy, because you will have to specialize in the right field...which might not be the one that you are the most interested in.... :?

Insection

Post by Insection »

bad_brain wrote:well, that's kinda all over the globe at the moment....the key is to be a certified expert, and you always have to be up to date with the newest techniques. real experts are always needed, nowadays even more than ever....being a real expert also makes it hard for a company to find a substitute for you.
but ok, it's not THAT easy, because you will have to specialize in the right field...which might not be the one that you are the most interested in.... :?
Agreed, if your really good at what you do, then you will have no problem finding a good job.

Ive already read about 10 bulk hardback books about AI, i find it amazing.
Im going to give it everything to be a AI scientist

computathug
Administrator
Administrator

Post by computathug »

No matter your interests, no matter your dream, don#e ever let any one tell you that you cant do something!

If you are interested you will learn but like anything in life its the amount of commitment that you give something :wink:

If we didn't have dreams nothing would be achieved and nothing would be accomplished :D

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

BUT

at the same time, if you don't get a job or study in AI, apply the knowledge you have gained so far. Keep an open mind and wide focus.

My life has taken me over so many paths, and lead me to this exact spot.
I can't say I planned everything, but I kind of went with the flow, took opportunities to advance myself and others around me. Be the best at what ever happens.

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

Lundis
Distorter of Reality
Distorter of Reality

Re: Artificial Intelligence

Post by Lundis »

Insection wrote:Ok, i have made my decision, i want to be a AI scientist.
We share the same dream(and same age), though you seem more passionate about it than me. :wink:

I'm doing game development atm, because games requires AI (more or less). After I'm through with that I'm planning on learning/writing some kind of image-analyzing program and then moving on to video perhaps.

For a real AI brain, I guess that you would need a program that evolves itself, writing new code/modules after using its sensors to gather information.

You said you read a bunch of books, would you recommend any of them? ^^

Nerdz
The Architect
The Architect
Location: #db_error in: select usr.location from sucko_member where usr.id=63;

Re: Artificial Intelligence

Post by Nerdz »

Lundis wrote:For a real AI brain, I guess that you would need a program that evolves itself, writing new code/modules after using its sensors to gather information.
You seem really into it... Here is what I suggest you:

1. Learn how to read algorithm on the net (and calculate the complexity)
2. Learn some strong probability theory
3. Try to code a simple algorithm like A*
4. Try to code a Connect4 game using the algorithm of Alpha-Beta-Pruning

If you have any questions, just ask them in the forum :)

AI is a really nice field. Just like hacking, there are a lot of different branch. You can be interested in Planning(Shortest path), evolving robot(neuranet, genetic algorithm), 2 player game design(A-B-P) etc... I'm currently reading "Artificial Intelligence: A Modern Approach"

Code: Select all

http://aima.cs.berkeley.edu/
It's pretty good!
Give a man a fish, you feed him for one day.
Learn a man to fish, you feed him for life.

Insection

Post by Insection »

Agreed with nerdz.

Probability is very essential for AI. As the "mechanical brain" has no idea of the real world, it needs to be built to handle incomplete data and information.

For this there is.

Parralell processing.

A desktop PC does one calculation after another until a problem is solved.

A "real" brain splits problems up into many smaller parts. It then processes the parts in different areas of the brain at the same time.

A computer that works more like a real brain is called "neural network"

Now the goal is to create a conscious neural network brain that can learn by itself without being specifically programmed to.

floodhound2
∑lectronic counselor
∑lectronic counselor

Post by floodhound2 »

I am an electronics engineer and the new microprocessors are multicore based computers. Currently I run several 32bit 8 core processor and its the best thing since sliced bread. I have considered AI but its hard for my brain to wrap around. I figure if I had 32 - 32bit - 8 core processors running arrays learning from sensor inputs with limits to outputs. It may be close to AI.

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

Hmm AI, what is Artificial Intellience? I think you can build it up to a certain degree.

Take the movie "Blade Runner", it might be a decent poke at AI, it pointed out a flaw in AI and it helped to detect robots of the year 2k something. The robots looked so alike to humans, the movie even alluded to some good sex with robots too :lol:

To have true Intelligence, they added Emotion to the factor. Even if you can feed all the data of the world's wiki and schools into a robot's brain - it still needs to build a database of emotion. Why? because emotion is a controlling factor in human intelligence.
The movie would show a picture of a woman breast feeding a baby (I think, it has been a while since..) The robot, with the best AI, would still answer the questions posed by the interviewer improperly- it had no emotion, no embarassment, no life experiences to direct its responses to the questions.

The point I was hoping to make, is AI is not just a db of facts, it has to have some faulty reasoning that is inherent in most humans, learnt behavior only found in life experiences. Inherent reasoning on a computer would likely cause a BSOD :lol:

Variables of how to react in a emergency can be taught to cops, but it is still left up to the descretion of the officers to change plans, to modify a tactic based on foresight. Foresight might be computational, but it still takes gut reaction to decide which input to react to.

DNR
-

Insection

Post by Insection »

Well, emotion is what makes us, us!

Its really hard, (almost impossible) to imagine a robot to feel the same way we do.

Emotions:
Scared/nervous:Shaking, sweaty palms, paranoid, sick feeling in stomach.

Creating actual sensations in robots (not just stimulations) would be like us humans finding a way to reach heaven on a rocket.

Is there a point for us humans where we cannot advance anymore?
If so how close are we to reaching that point?

Questions, questions, questions...