first wedding anniversary

...let us know what you think, free speech!
floodhound2
∑lectronic counselor
∑lectronic counselor

first wedding anniversary

Post by floodhound2 »

Its my first wedding anniversary and want some input on this painting. The first anniversary you're suppose to get paper so this is a nice piece of paper. Otherwise if you all can think of something let me know. Its $500 American, i am not into art so not sure if this is a good deal.

Swan
Knight of the Sword
Knight of the Sword

Post by Swan »

its lovely. :)
To the wicked, I am merely too knowledgeable in their ways.

ph0bYx
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by ph0bYx »

Happy anniversary floodhound.
I'm not really into art, that looks to expensive to me :/
I mean I could draw it myself instead of buying it.
But who am I to give advice about art anyways ;)

computathug
Administrator
Administrator

Post by computathug »

Well please take my thoughts and preferences as a pinch of salt, as these are my thoughts and views and i am not inflicting them on anyone else.

What is a painting or any artistic process?

Its something that can open the mind to many thought processes!

You are meant to be able to see beyond the picture and see the thought process. A bit like thinking outside the box. You cant just look at a painting and think....'that looks nice' and buy it, especially if its a gift.

For instance take a look at the piece above. I would see this as if it would be given to me on my first anniversary. I like the picture but to me as a gift it must have a meaning. There is a bird on a branch (im not a twitcher so don't ask me what type) maybe its a lovebird. It looks lost, like its looking for something. Its branch which which could be the span of emotion is broken ...it doesn't just end like a normal branch but has a break.

Guess what i am saying is we can all read into things differently. We can't read minds so don't know the other persons inside reaction. We can only estimate off previous thoughts and emotions to how anothers process may react.

If you can find a reason to buy something artistic make sure it has a meaning to both you or the intended receiver.

Hope you dont mind my thought processes too much [-o<

Happy anniversary BTW :D

Hope its a day to remember and hope you have many more to come :wink:

floodhound2
∑lectronic counselor
∑lectronic counselor

Post by floodhound2 »

Thanks fellas

Yea my wife loves birds and the outdoors. We always go snowboarding, hiking, Mt.Bike ridding, flying and other outdoor type of stuff. This painting reminds me of her love of the outdoors and mine as well. Its a traditional paper gift (well its canvas but close).

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

Art is never a finance investment - it is for its value as being pleasing to the eye.

You might take her to the gallery and have her browse the gallery - watch her to see what she picks, find something that both of you agree is pleasing - because it is your wedding anniversary too.

Sorry, mate I might not be 'in-to' art, but I don't like this particular peice..

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

DrVirus
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Post by DrVirus »

Can I.. Can I say something ? I mean don't get me wrong or anything. I am not exactly good with this stuff. But I just wanted to ask something. Does it.. does it really matters what we think about it ? I mean you choose the gift. Obviously you liked it. And your wife will love it cause your giving. It doesn't matter what or how much it costs. As long as you give something. Doesn't it ?
By the way,

\:D/ HAPPY ANNIVERSARY. *thumb*

Swan
Knight of the Sword
Knight of the Sword

Post by Swan »

DrVirus.....

you took the words out of my mouth. :D

Floodie:

your wife will be bowled over by how much you care about her. Being in your company, she must be counting her blessings. :)
To the wicked, I am merely too knowledgeable in their ways.

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

I can only agree with DrVirus, but even if it don't really matter: I like the painting... :)
and happy anniversary to you 2... \:D/

floodhound2
∑lectronic counselor
∑lectronic counselor

Post by floodhound2 »

Yea I don't care if you all like it.:oops: I was asking and want to know if I am getting ripped off? I am not a painting buyer by any means so this is why I questioned. :wink:

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

well, as a well respected art expert my first question always is: how big is it? :lol:
500 bucks is surely not a bargain, but the longer it took for the artist to create it the more it is worth imo. what is the name of the artist? maybe we can find something on the net...I mean, if he/she is totally unknown 500 bucks might be too much, but if he/she already has some kind of reputation it might be ok... :-k

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

well lets be clear- you are not buying a painting, but a print.
That picture looks familiar - so I am thinking you have a popular artist - but again, it will be a print - not a painting.

I worked a stolen print case at the college - a Salvadore Dali Print worth $100,000 to 10,000 (the owner says). It even had a signature from Sal Dali himself! But alas - when it came time to go to court, we find out the print was a forgery - Even though Dali was alive in 198-- there was no way he could have signed the print - he had the palsy. So the print after even the owner paid $3,800 for it - it was only worth $20.

Just buy it if it feels good in the heart. :wink:

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

floodhound2
∑lectronic counselor
∑lectronic counselor

Post by floodhound2 »

No DNR its the painting and an original. At least I am convenced its an original from DROB http://artforautism.blogspot.com/2008/1 ... ob-of.html

I like the painting but who knows. I am still chewing on the fat, any other ideas for a present?

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

hm, a nice wellness weekend in a spa maybe? maybe together with a gift certificate for the local (in the spa area I mean) fashion boutique?:-k
I guess any woman would love this.. :)

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

sorry for messing up your plan FH,

I SWEAR I have seen this artist work (the branches cut/missing, and the gold flake paint is something that I seen before) :wink: So it is a popular artist.

I guess it would require knowledge about your wife, maybe she would like that the art supports autism..

:wink: Good luck, aint marriage fun!

DNR
-