Conficker .C is to hit 1. April

...let us know what you think, free speech!

What is going to happen on 1. April?

NOthing!
44%
I am going to put on some sun screen.
11%
Some sites may go down for a few houres.
44%
I may have problems connecting to the internet.
No votes
My comptuer will die!
No votes
One way ticket to the stone age.
No votes

Total votes: 9

Lyecdevf
cyber Idi Amin
cyber Idi Amin

Conficker .C is to hit 1. April

Post by Lyecdevf »

What do you think is going to happen on April 1? Is it time to hide in the basement or business as usual?
We will either find a way, or make one.
- Hannibal

7A69
forum buddy
forum buddy

Post by 7A69 »

I have no idea but I'm very exited to see what first of april has to offer because one thing is for sure: Microsoft is very afraid :lol:

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

well, I doubt something dramatic will happen...most likely a mix of some unavailable site (usual targets like google, etc.), more spam in your inbox and an increased number of spambots on the net (already happening now).

but will be fun to see WHAT happens... :lol:

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

yea I believe the last botstorm knocked out some sites for hours, but nothing critical like infrastructure..
According to Don DeBolt, director of threat research at CA, the variant will be released on April Fools Day and ‘generate 50,000 URLS daily'. He claimed that generating a large amount of URLs will disguise where it may be calling to download instructions.

CA further claimed that it did not know exactly what those instructions might be, but it could involve downloading more malicious code or destroying files
DNR
Last edited by DNR on 26 Mar 2009, 20:16, edited 1 time in total.
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

computathug
Administrator
Administrator

Post by computathug »

Ok i ticked on nothing but never had time to reply as i went out for tea with the missus.

Some of us here will remember the millenium bug, what a load of hype but i will say well done to the guys who worked all the hours god sends to patch some of the computers that were in existence in them days.

You have to think how far some of these organisations will go when it concerns money. Even here we notice the influx of bots and other sites are picking up on a lot of new activity to but this is part and parcel of life as it is in everyday life like with the economy.

Economies go up for a few years then come down fast for a few. These big organisations may take a year ot 2 to build an army of bots before striking, so what ya get is a time strain with the regular stuff then all of a suddern theres the testing feelers sent out and then they strike.

This is not just computers, this is everyday life. Take local high street shops for instance. They sell products for 8 months of the year at extorsionate prices and for the other 4 sell them at half price or less and maybe sell more n that time than the rest of the year. How can they afford to do this. It's all part and parcel of what the governments control. How many government officials do you hear getting made redundant? Its all about control!

I see it as the main people who are out there causing the problems, like a few years ago hear, a Russian group did a man in the middle attack on all the major banks in the uk (not sure if anywhere else was involved a i have a friend who works on the security of one of the main banks). Now what happened here was it was Good Friday which means the banks are closed but this is pay day and as its bank hliday monday are not open till the tuesday. Now when the attack happened they made it look like the data was being sent from account to account as the wages normally do but they were intercepting and diverting the money to other accounts and before they realised it was too late. I was one of the people who had to wait till the week after for my wage to go to the missus account (I haven't had an account for over 10 years) :lol: By the way they lost millions and it never made the news....I wonder why?

20 years ago when hacking was like talking drugs, they were often things happen that would never make the news but now its all so different. If you hacked a bank and got caught with a million in a bank from that they would not press legal charges but incur other charges and maybe try to offer you a job working for them....why did they do this. Well you can see how far technology has come over the years and it will keep on expanding just as fast as it has. Computer evolution is like the workings of PI (maths) it will keep going and going and going.

Lets wait to see what happens, nothing much probably :lol:

lilrofl
Siliconoclast
Siliconoclast

Y2K

Post by lilrofl »

I'm with computathug, also I ticked nothing and came back to bring a fond remembrance of the Y2K bug that was going to destroy the world... remember...it...destro...ys...wor.....lds... *cough cough*

I stand by the nothing.
Time will tell.