Curious as to what drives people.

...let us know what you think, free speech!
Big-E
Administrator
Administrator

Curious as to what drives people.

Post by Big-E »

I have always been a thinker, I always wonder who, what, when, where are why - I tend to not take things for granted and don't often just see things for what they are, because that's not always the case.

So something I have been wondering and trying to work on personally and drive - what drives an individual. I find it very perplexing personally - for example, I will go on bouts of no motivation at all. I will just eat sleep, do monotonous work and go on my way doing the bare minimum. Then last night I went to bed around 11pm so I woke up fairly early this morning at 5am - immediately, I felt like writing code so I jumped on the computer and wrote about 50 lines of code into my session management class for my newest application - from there, I went and made some breakfeast..but not just any breakfeast, a large one. Started making omlets with 5 eggs, cheese, 3 types of peppers, onions and mushrooms. I made some bacon, which I ended up making too much of to eat all on its own so I made some bagels and made a bagel, bacon and cheese melt.

Now, I am just finishing up with my emails, my RSS feeds and getting ready for some more work.

What motivates me today? I don't know..I want to find out, and feed on it.

Ideas?

PS.

Everything bagel toasted, miracle whip mayonnaise, bacon, mozzarella cheese and salt + pepper = hella good.

ph0bYx
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by ph0bYx »

I know what you mean.
I also get an motivation rush sometimes. I'm usually unmotivated for anything, but sometimes suddenly I have this feeling to do every chore, to study half a day for school, to study the other half on my computer etc. And that's not because I have to, but because I want to.
First off I thought it was hyperactivity, but I would feel like that all the time, which I don't, so that's not the case here. I would kill to find out what it is and use it everyday! :D

DrVirus
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Post by DrVirus »

That makes three of us. Well I am usually lazy and moody. If I am not in the mood I hardly work. But sometimes I work from 8 of morning till 10 of night. Just like that. It never lasts more than a month or so. I have no idea what motivates me either. :D

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

I guess I call it "being in the zone", when I have a drive to write, read, and do stuff around the house.

I try not to overthink. One of the most powerful things taught by my japanese Sensei was the power of "no-mind".

No Mind is a neutral state, as pure as you can get. No Mind is very important in fighting because you want to be open to all input from your attacker - not distracted by thoughts about how you look in your Gi, or if you paid your last cell phone bill.

No Mind allows me to have more pure actions and reactions to situations.
The funny thing is, for awhile you have to think about 'no mind' - to concsiously clear your head of your thoughts. But after awhile, No Mind comes easy - its like a computer idling, you get a quiet baseline.. Some people know about meditation - getting into some yoga and trying to quiet the mind by humming some chant shit. But you can do it anywhere, you can do it standing up, driving a car, and even in a split second. I think I act through my heart and instincts when I am performing under "no mind".

Don't over think things, being too busy in thought, you'll miss out on all the little things in life. No mind allows me to see the big picture of everything happening all around me and right in front of me. It is sometimes an out-of-body POV, you see yourself on many different levels, and you are 'in the moment' with little or no effort.

Once you begin to understand that many big things are made up of many little things, you can begin to understand there is no such thing as a unimportant little thing.

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.