Hacking needs Discipline

...let us know what you think, free speech!
DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Hacking needs Discipline

Post by DNR »

I don't see any mention of this anywhere, but from personal experience I think it should be pointed out to new and old hackers.

Hacking needs discipline in order to work. I know a lot of talk about hacking speaks of free-style, out-of-box thinking, and breaking rules. Bruce Lee as a martial artist created his own style of fighting - but to make his style worth-while, he needed discipline to train.

The difference between being a poser and a real hacker will depend on the discipline of learning. The difference between a white hat or criminal will require discipline. People will attack you for being a hacker, it will require discipline to keep going when it seems the majority is against you.

In martial arts schools - the younger ones were taught by the older ones. When the teacher admonished the students not to take their kung fu out in the streets - it asked the students to have restraint, to not use their training to get into fights or in trouble with the law if they killed someone.
Those students that did not have discipline to obey that rule, failed and were expelled from the martial art community.

You do not have to make the same mistakes as the others, some words are meant to be obeyed - in the foresight of those before you. If you decide to disobey the rules, at least make it a well-thought out, deliberate act. I can understand the need to question authority, it takes guts to stand up on your own. But, to do it recklessly - just shows no discipline.

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.