the 10 worst countries toplists

...let us know what you think, free speech!
DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

Maybe not exactly off topic.
Phorm is only one of the many corporate-type threats. They can be rewarded by the government in lucrative contracts if they can demonstrate data mining tech or stock-pile every little bit of data they can farm. Phorm is a good example - they make money by collecting information about users on the internet. Using spyware is indeed a good way to find out things about people. Marketing companies will pay good money for that data, put a little twist on it, and the government will pay for that data too. Data is reusable, it can be repackaged, resold. Data about you is a cash register ringing up somewhere, or maybe a determination of your threat level for the next governmental election.
Privacy is not just a civil rights issue, it is a comodity - if companies and governments won't pay for it, they will get you to pay for it - they will charge you to protect _your_ privacy.

Malware, spyware, and trojans are not just criminal tools for crackers - they can be diguised as legitimate 'marketing' tools. It might not be the actual company that collected the data we worry about, but who the data get sold to afterwards.

Lastly, people are lazy or ignorant about their personal information. Mail left on the seat of their car exposes their full name and address. A clerk ask for social security number for cashing a check, or a girl gives a real landline phone number to a stranger at a bar.
As they get their lives wrapped around their smart phone, they will be tracked even more, and marketing media can be provided real-time. That data is going to be a gold mine.

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

moudy
Technology Enthusiast
Technology Enthusiast

Post by moudy »

DNR wrote:When people want to talk about politics, society, and blame, they should stick with their own country. I find a lot of ignorance and misunderstanding when people try to talk about things they know little about.

I myself, can't say for sure what the problem is over in Iraq, Iran, or even mexico. I can talk about my society's problems, my government, and what its like to be an american. It would just come off badly if I started to tell you what the problem is over in Israel and the gaza strip. If Iran does want nuclear power, who am I to say no?
In my opinion, and since this is an open discussion forum, and we're free to sound our opinion, I say that the best said in this thread is what DNR wrote...
Its only the country and its citizens that solve their issues...

DNR I would like to tell you that you have wisdom in what you say, and i actually find you knowledgeable in what you say, whether in hacking/computer, or real life issues.
mahmoud_shihab@hotmail.com

DrVirus
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Post by DrVirus »

DNR wrote:When people want to talk about politics, society, and blame, they should stick with their own country. I find a lot of ignorance and misunderstanding when people try to talk about things they know little about.
You are right. It was not exactly right of me to go out of my way and pass a judgement on America. It's just that, americans will be surprised to know that countries like ours dream about becoming like yours. Young people belive that America is a country made of dreams and anything can happen. When I say "Land of the Free home of the brave " It's not sarcastic. I have seen known people who belive that word by word. They dream that one day they will get out of this deadlock and go to america. The best country in the world.
Only that dream is quite hollow. I didn't want to attack or humiliate the american government or it's people. None of influence my life in way that requires me to do so. I just wanted to prove that no country in this world with or without government is killing privacy , free speech. It has become a rule and the global leader is no exception.
DNR wrote: Just keep the Fear, Uncertainty, and Despair in check. Thats what they want you to feel. The system of governments and corporations is worldwide - they want to use FUD to keep us separate from each other. they want us to think we are all different, that I have it better than you, or that everytime an american, german, chinese, or arabic person tries to do something nice - you question their motives. As long as we can't get along with each other, there is profit to be made. The system can be religious, but it is mostly the rich pitting the poor against each other.

DNR
Maybe u look at it that way. I don't. See I spent all my life in a state ruled by communists. They don't like the rich much. They belive as long as every thing is run by government it will be a heaven. Even if we come together as one(which I highly doubt) I do not think this system can be changed. No collective decision is constructive decision. When you program a software you may allot various programmers to create different functions, but you can't allot more than one programmer to desing one function cause then it will a hybrid mixture of wasted time. Life is just the same. One can only choose for himself. No one else. Unfortunately the right to do so being killed every step of the way.

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

really nice thread... :D
3XTORTION, thanks, it's very interesting to hear the views of people that are really involved, because the info distributed via the media is always filtered in some way and can't be trusted... :)

3XTORTION

Post by 3XTORTION »

Yea i see that, 2 simple links turned the thread into a debate :D Btw u thought we were a retarded country before this thread :P 8O ?