Something I need to say

...let us know what you think, free speech!
ph0bYx
Staff Member
Staff Member

Something I need to say

Post by ph0bYx »

Hello guys.
Two days ago I've had a pre-college exam and if I did good enough I might have the shot to go to college. But let's put this aside for a while, I have something more important to say.

A year or so ago I was a passionate gamer who knew only a little bit more about computers. Lazy with no goal in his life. I had no idea what I would study in the future, nor what I would like to be, except a professional gamer:D.
Then I got a bit interested in computers, hacking in particular. The idea of doing wonders with the computer was very attractive to me back then, still is :). So I searched the net for hacking web sites, forums or blogs. I was surprise when I realized that they aren't as secret as I thought there would be. I found a few of those eye-candy skiddie sites and was pretty impressed. I didn't have internet at home back then, all activities where done in a net cafe (the perfect proxy :D), so I quickly wrote the addresses of those sites on a piece of paper to not lose them. The little tutorials on those sites I could read in the net cafe, but the big ones I had to copy to my USB disk and read at home. That's my first exploiting experience. You see, the net cafe had a program that disallowed USB's, well not disallowed but you couldn't access them via my computer > usb drive, so I found a way to exploit that: find a random image on the net, go to save as..., opens the window to browse where to save, search for the USB (try out d: / e: / g: /h: ) and the rest was easy. Damn, I was so l33t back then :D. After that I ran home to and hit the computer to read all those tutorials. I didn't understand 90% of what there was in them, but I didn't mind, it was a good deal if I would learn the smallest thing from each tutorial back then, partly it still is :). The tutorials weren't something special, it all was like "You get your victims IP by using this program, then you use this one to connect to it, use this one to...".
From all those sites there was one that accidentally pointed me into the right direction. The site was SoH (www.SchoolOfHackers.com - doesn't exist any more) was kind of a default site for me back then, like suck-o is now. At first, well at least when I joined it, it had a dark theme, it all was kinda shady and illegal. Then one day the owner of the site, avada (he seemed to be a really nice guy), changed the theme from dark and shady to white/silver and clean. By changing the theme my view on it changed from blackhat criminal hacker forum to a computer expert education forum which made me think "hmm, I wonder what the good side of the hat is doing". So after researching the good side of the force I realized that it's not so bad, not bad at all, even better than the dark side. That's the point of transition from black to white/grey hat for me (it's not like I ever hacked something anyways, but it's the mindset that counts :P). At that point the eye-candy skiddie sites stopped being interesting and I searched for hacking forums once again, this one the real thing. Of course I stumbled upon progenic's top list, there I've encountered suck-o for the first time.
Here at suck-o I started to take all that hacking more seriously, before that it was just fooling around, feeding my curiosity. I still remember the feeling reading that thread on the newbie section about what a hacker really is, I kinda found myself in that even though I had no real knowledge about anything and no experience in hacking whatsoever. I can say for sure that this community changed me more than I though and hoped.
All those hacking activity before suck-o was just something like a warm-up before the real thing. I'm lucky I found a community of grey/white hat rather than black. If it was the other way around who knows where I would be now.

You may be wondering why all that autobiography talk. Well I pictured it to be a thank you, and to help you realize what you have done guys.
I am really truly grateful to you all! Thank you guys! You changed my life for better.
To sum it all up: I was a gamer with no future, no perspective with no knowledge about computers other than for playing games, and now I'm on my Linux box with hardly any game on it (only the default like chess, cards etc.) with a .pdf archive of 1GB pdf about computers, programming, development, hacking, who is, hopefully, about to go to a computer college. Pretty big don't you think? :D Well it is, and it's all (95%) because of you guys, so be proud :P

Tomorrow I'm getting the results of the exam but no matter what happens thank you guys! Thank you Suck-O.

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

Where I am, one day you will be. Where you are, I once was.

Ph0 remember it is not a designation, but a journey. We are all on the same journey, just at different points on the path. No matter where we are on the path-whether I look up or down the path- we encourage each other to keep on. I get encouragement from dedicated newbies as much as some old school mentor.

Glad to help :wink:

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

make me really proud to read something like that.... :D
I have to admit I have also learned a lot through suck-o and the great people that populate our little community....I was forced to learn discipline for example. at the start of the site the intention was "ok, let's create a test field for my studies, maybe install phpnuke and see what happens"...
and well, a lot of stuff happened....people joined, friendships were made...so my days of being lazy and doing nothing but gaming all day (or even doing nothing at all) were over too... :lol:

and well, as DNR already said, many of the younger members remind me of myself when I was that age, and hey, I am more than glad when I can help a little to keep them away from doing the same mistakes as I did...own experience is most valuable when others have benefits too from them... :)

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

Nice man! :D Hope the test results are good! :)

I started out in a similar way, and I learned a LOT when I joined suck-o. It's like all those skiddie sites is the first phase, then when you grow up you join the more serious sites and actually learn something useful (not just the parts where you "hack", but all the parts around it and that lead to the part where you actually did the hacking).

Heil Suck-o!
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"

moudy
Technology Enthusiast
Technology Enthusiast

Post by moudy »

well, I cant say that I'm even close to 1% in hacking... I'm knocking doors in the programming world, still discovering things out, reading stuff, and most important meeting new friends on this site...
To be honest, I joined this site after a friend recommended the site for its good apps...
I'm still learning

computathug
Administrator
Administrator

Post by computathug »

Well ph0, first of all i hope you get the results you need for college. Nobody can push you into doing the right thing whether it be black/white or grey. This comes from within yourself. It was a pleasure to read your post and most of us have probably been in the same situation as yourself. I too was an avid gamer when i was younger but the time came when i sat in front of the pc and thought to myself, 'the information is out there so why not learn and do something with it.' The turning point for me was realizing there is so much i don't know but want to know.

Keep going and one day i hope you get where you want to go. Keep the desire in your heart and always learn new things.

Good luck for tomorrow buddy :wink:
The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose.
-- William Shakespeare, "The Merchant of Venice"
https://tshirt-memes.com

yorki_boy
suck-o-fied!
suck-o-fied!

Post by yorki_boy »

Wish You Good Luck ,Thanks For sharing Your Own Experience With all suck-o Members also we should all thank the staff of suck-o and all the members who try to help others here ...

Lundis
Distorter of Reality
Distorter of Reality

Post by Lundis »

I still remember the feeling reading that thread on the newbie section about what a hacker really is
Oh yes I doubt I would be here if it wasn't for that thread. I discovered suck-o at progenic too, but at first look I thought it was lame and didn't bother checking it out any further. Then I came back for some reason, found the mentioned thread and realized just how great the people of suck-o is. That one thread was enough to make me decide to stay here until we're gone.

floodhound2
∑lectronic counselor
∑lectronic counselor

Post by floodhound2 »

Hey I am glad you found the site. I learned a great deal from this site also. Mostly how to remain calm from the repetitive questions that are asked.

:wink:

ph0bYx
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by ph0bYx »

Hey guys! Thanks for the good wishes. I've good some good news, I'm 2nd on the exam, now I can go to college :)
My friends, one on 1st place the others are to low on the list for me to take the effort to look where exactly, now make fun about me finishing 2nd and not 1st which makes me even more excited to start the college to kick their ass in studying :) And maybe I'll discipline them tonight a bit :twisted:

moudy wrote:well, I cant say that I'm even close to 1% in hacking
Neither can I. I've read somewhere in my younger days that for a great hacker you need lots of work, about 10years or so of intense work and education. I know it's a bit (or even a lot) exaggerated but I kinda accepted that, and now I'm just studying about it and maybe in a year or two I'll be ready for my first hacking activities which doesn't necessarily have to be illegal :)
Last edited by ph0bYx on 20 Jul 2009, 15:25, edited 1 time in total.

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

Good work! :D
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

Ph0
Soon you will not care about where you rank in the class - other students that are struggling (or just spite you because you set the grading curve so high) will either join your study group or compete against you. It actually got to the point where I was embarassed when the teacher would hand out the graded exams and announced that I set the high score of 99% - the class would be mad because then I set the "A,B,C" grading curve to near 100%.
Once you leave behind the care about what rank you have in class - you can use that energy to study more.

Several people said they felt they were not yet hackers - but see - when you begin the journey to become one, you have joined those that know they are hackers. Just the extra effort to read the tech magazines, or play with the OS or build your own computer - thats more than the average person has done. Any time you make effort to change yourself - change has begun.

We are proud of you - it shows results for the time we put into helping members on this forum. We taught you how to 'fish', so now you can not only learn to feed yourself, but do what we did - teach others how to feed themselves.

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

moudy
Technology Enthusiast
Technology Enthusiast

Post by moudy »

Words of wisdom :)
I'm a fan of the way you write DNR, you have a talent in writing.

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

Hey thanks -
Communication is important to me. I think many of us know the pain of not being understood. I think a lot of problems in society are from misunderstanding, many things get lost in translation.
It is not just translation of word itself, but its inflection or hidden meaning intended by the author. I don't mean slang, but even regular words just have a different meaning from one culture to another.

DNR
-

DrVirus
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Post by DrVirus »

I noticed something. From this post and others and some irc chats. Most of us started out as mad gamers. I did too.

My father bought the first computer 12 years ago. When I was 6. It was strictly off bounds. I was told it was for office works and not to be touched by me. But I somehow was attracted to it more than the other office stuffs. It was so cool. I remember watching others work on it from behind. Then one day someone got stuck. They had to copy this file and no one present knew how to. I did it. I still remember the faces :D .

Then I could touch it. Play games on it. I played those DOS based 2D and 3D games like Prince of Persia, Doom, Superbike , Dave like crazy. :D . As I grew up I wanted to know more. Naturally all I got to know first were related to office purposes. Pagemaker , a little Coreldraw , bit of Photoshop.

Then i got hooked to animation. I wanted to make games :D. Did flash, a bit of 3D max. Then came the wonder of the century. Internet. I had only a dial up connection at first. could only use it for like 30 mins. It was enough to get me addicted. Slowly Dial up evolved to broad band. By that time for some reason dad always came to me with computer related questions. The same person he forbade to touch the precious machine. :D.

After that I learned Hardware. Watched others assemble computers. And then told a guy I can do it . He got me a job. I was so scared at first :D. But everything worked out. None of my computers till date gave me a bad reputation. Now I'm hooked to programming. Rather I some how fall in love. :D. Wanna be a programmer. Trying to learn everything I can.

Now that I look back. I wouldn't be anything else but this guy right here. DNR is right, as always :D. It's all about the journey. It's that journey that got me through. Kept me going. Good luck ph0. Kick ass bro.