Happy Birthday Internet

...let us know what you think, free speech!
DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Happy Birthday Internet

Post by DNR »

On September 2, 1969, at the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA), a team of engineers led by Professor Leonard Kleinrock attached the first two machines on the first node of the ARPAnet, the Defense-Department-sponsored computer network that would one day give rise to the modern internet.
A month later, a second node was installed at the Stanford Research Institute (SRI), where Douglas Englebart had developed his seminal NLS online system, forerunner to the ubiquitous desktop GUI. And on October 29, the first inter-node message was sent between the two sites. "That's the day," Kleinrock says, "the internet uttered its first words."

the first inter-node message was the word "log." The idea was that UCLA would send the "log," and SRI would add the "in." As it sent the "L" and then the "O," UCLA's engineers were on the phone with their SRI counterparts, and receipt of the first two letters were acknowledged. But the "G" was another matter. The last letter caused a memory overflow on the SRI IMP, and the system crashed.

"So the first message was 'Lo,' as in 'Lo and Behold,'" Kleinrock says. "We couldn't have asked for a better message - and we didn't plan it." The full log-in was completed within a couple of hours.

For Kleinrock, this marks the 40th anniversary of the internet - not the September 2nd setup of the UCLA node. "We chose October 29 as the day," he says. So, in about eight week, we can celebrate again.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/09/02 ... anet_node/

I am so fucking glad for the birth of the internet!

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

lilrofl
Siliconoclast
Siliconoclast

Post by lilrofl »

heh, never really though about it... I am so very glad there is an internet =)

Pong18
Cyber Mushroom
Cyber Mushroom

Post by Pong18 »

nice cake! happy internet day!

3XTORTION
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Post by 3XTORTION »

Well i always think that if the internet seized to exist...what would i do ? :roll: . Is there enough things in my life that can fulfill that void ? :-k

Anyway,great fucking day \:D/

Pong18
Cyber Mushroom
Cyber Mushroom

Post by Pong18 »

i agree... but what more if the computer was not invented? i cannot imagine how my life would be... what will i do to compensate that large a gap in my life... i think i'll go to tibet and be a monk there and follow the path to righteousness, if there was no computer or internet...

ph0bYx
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by ph0bYx »

Is that a BSoD on the screen of the candy computer? ^^

Happy birthday Moses ;)

computathug
Administrator
Administrator

Post by computathug »

Without the internet i wonder how many barriers would be down like they are here on suck-o between different cultures and countries.....

What would i do to fill my time without it......

Happy b/day dear internet :D
The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose.
-- William Shakespeare, "The Merchant of Venice"
https://tshirt-memes.com

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

I know my outlook on the world would not have been as positive.

Without the internet, I don't think many of us would have had the opportunity to expand from our little sections of the world. We possibly would not have been as smart without the internet.

I know I would have had a harder time struggling with my hacker personality - with nothing to hack, what would I have done?

Some of us might have never broken the loneliness we have put upon our lives due to our individual quirks.

Outcasted, mislead, and misunderstood. Those were the things I was facing until I found a whole new world, the internet.

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.