Mad lockpicking skills = quick $100

...let us know what you think, free speech!
DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Mad lockpicking skills = quick $100

Post by DNR »

I went to a community auction, they were auctioning food. So while I am there bored out of my mind, I spy on a counter top a trick.

The vendor for the food stand was offering $100 for anyone that could crack a mechanical device and free the $100 bill. I laughed because this is easy money for me.

The device was a block of wood, with removeable ends on both ends of the block. You had to figure out how to slide the end off to get inside the block and get the $100. I looked closely at the ends, there was a gap so you can see two pins that locked the ends on the block.
I paid my $2 and got 2 minutes to crack the device. I cracked it in less than 2 minutes.

The pins were just like the pins on a tumbler lock, the pins were pushed into locking position by a spring. So, the same theory for viberating or bumping a lock - works on this device. I just had to slap the block on my knee to make the pins bounce, and when they bounced, they slipped out of locking position. The trick was also using my knee instead of the table top - the softer blow on the knee allowed time before the pin rebounded back in place.

Easy $100, I had to explain to them that it was not fair considering I was a former crime lab assistant and learned lockpicking in college. They were equally at disadvantage with my hacker mentality.They said no one figured it out since they put it out a couple of months ago!

Who figured that some lockpicking skills would have made easy money?!

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

Big-E
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Big-E »

My question is, did you at least buy a Frankfurt?

hackerdude
On the way to fame!
On the way to fame!

Post by hackerdude »

"Who figured that some lockpicking skills would have made easy money?!"

haha.. Really?

A pair of glove so their is no finger prints, and a good locksmith is like a physical hacker, compared to a computer hacker. Imagine being able to open any safe or lock or door you want (with no sign of any forced entry). Even Medco is not safe sometimes, I seen some crazy German lockpickers that tore them apart. Locksmithing is getting access to anywhere you want at anytime, I am not the greatest locksmith but I have been trained in it.

And my question to DNR is what kind of Auction was this? :lol:

moudy
Technology Enthusiast
Technology Enthusiast

Post by moudy »

hackerdude wrote:"Locksmithing is getting access to anywhere you want at anytime
well, some times there might be surveillance spotting the area where the locks are actually found, decreasing the chances to almost null for any one to bypass this security. But all in all locksmithing is cool to learn, you just have to have the nerves for attempting to break the combination or what ever physical security is there :wink:
mahmoud_shihab@hotmail.com

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

well you guys are getting the big picture though - hacking is more than just computers and networks, it can be lockpicking - or circumventing procedures that are set in place by security.

Cameras can be hacked, there is a tut on replaying CCTV signals to a monitoring station to cover a camera that has been turned off.
There was also discussion about using lasers to blind cameras. At DefCon some guy won a contest for a hat with LEDs that lit up his face to obscure his looks from a nightvision camera.

Then its not just cameras, but sensors - like the sensormatic at stores, or burglury sensors at a business.

All these are areas a person with the right frame of mind to visualize exploitation.

I took Security Administration in college, and applied my hacker vision to it - I was able to point out defects in almost every security procedure or device that many common people miss.

I think hacking is a mind-set - you can visualize a lock mechanism just like a vulnerable web server- and see exploitation.

Ethics will determine how you use your abilities.

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

Insection
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Post by Insection »

Hacking is the art of exploitation.

This is just one example on how useful the hacking ideology is.

Nice one DNR :wink: