Booyah!

...let us know what you think, free speech!
IceDane
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Booyah!

Post by IceDane »

Due to losing my job(Part time job whilst studying, so it wasn't a huge hit, but still) I put up some fliers around the local area. It hadn't paid off until yesterday, where I received a call and got asked to come and take a look at a computer.

I love being in the IT business - when people think you're a professional, they simply believe you without a single moment of doubt(For the most part). I don't abuse this, but still.

1.5 hours of work, at maximum, where most of it was waiting for chkdsk to finish whilst surfing the web resulted in 500,- DKK or 333,- DKK per hour. Just shy of 100 USD, e.g. 65 USD per hour.

He obviously has no idea how little(or much) work was involved, so I'm good. But I reckon I'll take the same amount for pretty much anything, regardless of work involved.

I don't know, just felt like gloating, tbh. It's a lot of money for me for 1.5 hours of work, hehe. It's enough food for a week, and more.

floodhound2
∑lectronic counselor
∑lectronic counselor

Post by floodhound2 »

Yea I can say that that's not bad. I build custom computers and charge 20% the cost of the computer - what takes 1hour average. Its like taking candy from a baby until something goes wrong. I hate it when I order a odd ball part and have to place something from my personal stash as a substitute.

I say keep at it as long as you keep the image of a hard working tech.

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

I feel ya IceDane :lol:

That "God" like status is not really undeserved. The average person's life stops when their computer stops. All they can do is hit the keyboard and yell at it, anything else is clueless and will likely cause more damage.

Like that lockpicking contest - I got $100 USD in 2 minutes flat :lol:
People had been playing this contest for months, even the person that worked there tried for four hours. All I had to do was see the pins holding the cover in place and my mind saw a lock's pin and tumbler mod. I bounced that thing on my knee and the top slid open - the $100 was mine.
People that were standing around thought I was magical :lol:

Computers are confusing to people, they don't really know what happens when they hit "any key" or click on a link. But even more today - people have wrapped their lives around computers and networks and made it vital to their everyday life - and yet have no clue how it works.

I can work the same magic as that lockpicking on computers and networks because I 'wasted' all that party time, social time, school function time - on studying computers and networks. I think of 'taking those bitches money' as my payback for all the fun shit I missed in life :lol:

I remember simple assed jobs that just required two minutes run a POST test, listen for the beeps, watch the boot screen for error codes and to reseat a memory chip or graphics card. The most important part in dealing with clueless computer users is spending 1+ hour of baselining the computer and printing out neat looking reports that said what I just said to the customer "Your computer is now fine, your computer is a outdated peice of shit BTW - I can help you upgrade it!" The customers are impressed with the detailed report on their systems, they show it off to other customers.. :twisted:

The point is - its not bad to gloat - you deserve that money cuz you studied.

Floodie doesn bring up a sore point - computers are fickle - they can have intermitten problems that can't be detected on the first visit. Then you got customers that say "I didn't do anything to it" - but they removed the cover and fiddled with a magnetic screwdriver or deleted "some file, I donno" The problem then becomes more than a simple machine issue - and those customers I try to weed out REAL quick - try the "I don't know anything about computers either" comment :roll:

Get that money!

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.