Books !!!

...let us know what you think, free speech!
n3rd
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by n3rd »

we do have a taste for books, but regular members cant access those ;)
[img]http://img580.imageshack.us/img580/8009/userbar2k.png[/img]

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

Reading is good exercise for the brain, books - not internet clips.

My favorite author would probably have to be Isaac Asimov. I have a first edition print hardcover of "The Martian Way".

I read also Richard Marcinko's books - hardly a literary genius, but he writes a good story - reminds me of my old self.

As much as I liked Tom Clancy gettting technical details in his story, he tends to overdo it a bit I guess.

At 15 I read several of heavy books by Aleksandr Solzhenistsyn - I guess that explains my frame of mind and what my youth was like (lots of time reading and way above the normal age group)

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

lilrofl
Siliconoclast
Siliconoclast

Post by lilrofl »

I read a lot... a whole lot actually, so narrowing down a favorite author or book might be difficult. I'll limit my selection to books that I have read in the last six months, maybe that will make it easier...

The Crisis of Islam by Bernard Lewis
On Killing by Dave Grossman
The Cobra Event by Richard Presto
The Pig that Wants to be Eaten y Julian Bagini
A Practical Guide to Linux by Mark Sobell
Practical Packet Analysis by Chris Sanders

geeze... the list goes on and on... from The Origin of Consciousness and the Breakdown of the Bicameral Mind by Julian Jaynes to Explosive Effects and Applications by Jonas Zukes and William Walters to the Under Achievers Manifesto by Ray Bunnett I read a LOT lol

I read mostly educational books, as you probably noticed, and I always have one or two in the works with a few others waiting. One of the main reasons I got a Kindle was my library is too big to cart around everywhere I go lol.

On the other hand, I have read some good fiction... it's just harder for me to get into it. Most recently notable is, "The Cobra Event" listed above.

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

ok, here are my favs:
- "1984" by George Orwell
- "The Screwtape Letters" by C. S. Lewis
- "Linux: Installation, Configuration, and Use" by Michael Kofler (also known as the "Linux Bible")

:)

lilrofl
Siliconoclast
Siliconoclast

Post by lilrofl »

The Screwtape Letters was a very good book, I haven't read it in years though. Reminds me of another book that I highly enjoyed, "Beelzebub's Tales to His Grandson by G. I. Gurdjieff"

f4Gg0t_43
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Post by f4Gg0t_43 »

Fight Club, the name kind of makes it sound bad, but it's actually really good. There is also a movie based on the book.