Suck-o book thread.

...let us know what you think, free speech!
Big-E
Administrator
Administrator

Suck-o book thread.

Post by Big-E »

Since we have a movie thread, and I don't really watch that many movies but read more books, I am interested in what you read. Please list your favorite books, they can be fiction or non-fiction with the former being my point of interest.

Please, list your top three reads.

lilrofl
Siliconoclast
Siliconoclast

Post by lilrofl »

Reading is good for you, I read mostly non-fiction and find it hard to get into fiction. I own many titles of philosophy, your essential computer books and plenty on Tai Chi and Chin Na plus a collection of books concerning survival and other military disciplines although these are rarer reads these days they where at one point a mainstay in my life... without further delay, a random selection of books from my shelf:

NONFICTION:
The Root of Chinese Qigong by Dr. Yang Jwing-Ming
Biohazrard by Ken Alibek
On Combat bt LtC. Dave Grossman
The Crisis of Islam by Bernard Lewis
Tao Te Ching by Lao Tzu
Being Good by Hsing Yun
The Prophet by Kahlil Gibran
On Bullshit by Harry G. Frankfurt
The Underachievers Manifesto by Ray Bennett
Explosive Effects and Applications by Zukes/Walters
The Prince by Machiavelli
Plato and a Platypus Walk into a Bar: Understanding Philosophy Through Jokes by Thomas Cathcart and Daniel Klein

FICTION
The Cobra Event by Richard Preston
The Vlad Taltos Books by Steven Brust
The Anita Blake Books by Laurell K Hamilton
Any Green Lantern graphic novel, I have tons... However The Brightest Day was on my list of favorites.
The Picture of Dorian Grey by Oscar Wilde
Gullivers Travels by Johnathan Swift

I started the Robert Jordan books... but that's a lot of book lol, and as you can guess I favor non-fiction... in addition to these i have many a computer book, origami folding guides and a metric ton of digital photography and Maximum PC magazines... to name all the books on my shelf would take some time, and I haven't touched what's in the Kindle

I love to read... more proof that my life outside my room is almost non-exsitant lol

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

yay a book thread : D

I like to read books containing only fact these days, I have a book that's called "Allt du behöver veta (All you need to know)", which lists all kinds of common knowledge for the 21st century. I am reading two books about Linux at the moment (going to get one about kernels as well soon).

I don't read any programming books at the moment, I mostly use my C++ books and data structure books for reference (I like to look stuff up in books rather the google it, I'm conservative).

Other then that, I like the harry potter books, and a Swedish book called "Låt den rätte komma in (Let the right one in)" which is about a Swedish vampire. Haven't read anything else in a while, but I like all kinds of fantasy.
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

"The Screwtape Letters" by C. S. Lewis
an exchange of letters between Screwtape (a veteran demon) and Wormwood (his nephew and a rookie), where Screwtape gives tips about how to entrap humans in order to make hell fodder out of them. the fun part is that only Screwtape's letters are displayed, so Wormwood's letters are a matter of your imagination. it's very funny, but also bears a lot of truth about the abysses of the human nature.

"1984" by George Orwell
a true classic everyone should have read at least once. written in 1948 as fiction it became pretty much reality.
my favorite quote:
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face . . . for ever.

"Vorsicht Bürgerkrieg!" ("Beware, civil war!") by Udo Ulfkotte
a book which politicians in germany would love to ban because it describes the future of the country. it is not fictional, the author uses provable facts (for example the CIA predicted in 2008 that many areas in germany and whole europe will be ungovernable until 2020). the financial crisis, mass unemployment, incapable politicians, mass immigration, fall in values....all that will end up in total chaos: leftists against rightists, poor against rich, natives against foreigners, religious fanatics against unbelievers. europe is a tinderbox, just a question of time until it blows up, the parallels to what happened in the former USSR or in former Yugoslavia are obvious.

lilrofl
Siliconoclast
Siliconoclast

Post by lilrofl »

Dmanzit.... missed that line about top three, more proof that intoxication hampers ability ;)

Reading replies though I think we have a book thread around here somewhere because I remember agreeing with b_b that Screwtape Letters was an awesome book

lilrofl
Siliconoclast
Siliconoclast

Post by lilrofl »

As if I should post another book lol, but I thought it important to add that World War Z by Max Brooks was an awesome piece of fiction regarding humans vs. zombies in na world war setting.