Is MAC better than pc?

No, not for "Mack daddies"...for Apple users...^^
ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

tch0rt wrote:it looks nothing like XP
Vista is closer to KDE nowdays and the *nix features are ane arse ache at first but once you get used to it then it isnt that bad

As a loyal pawn of Tux I will have to say.... Don't EVER compare Vista with *nix X_X. Vista is not and will never be anything like *nix, and all the features in Vista is limited to Vista with a magical seal, meaning that it can never soil the grounds of penguins!

amen....
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"

G-Brain
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Post by G-Brain »

tch0rt wrote:it looks nothing like XP
Vista is closer to KDE nowdays and the *nix features are ane arse ache at first but once you get used to it then it isnt that bad
*nix features? Do tell.
I <3 MariaLara more than all of you

tch0rt
forum buddy
forum buddy

Post by tch0rt »

play with it and you'll see Mr Gates and Co have borrowed features that a *nix based

I am also a follower of the penguin but I use Vista on the works lappy
Personally I use Slackware on my Pc and I have a EEEpc running Xandros (I also use OpenSolaris on my server)

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

well, actually every MS system uses features coming from *nix:
TCP/IP for example....oook, it is not really an invention of *nix but it was used first on *nix systems. so without *nix MS users would still have to use NetBEUI instead... :lol:

G-Brain

Post by G-Brain »

tch0rt wrote:play with it and you'll see Mr Gates and Co have borrowed features that a *nix based
I have played with it, and I didn't see any *nix features. Try listing them.
I <3 MariaLara more than all of you

Holytoaster4

Post by Holytoaster4 »

hmm, i fail to see though how vista is better than xp.

i hereby rest my case that mac sucks because i started a topic about mac and we have had over an entire page of posts without the word mac even being mentioned.
Holytoaster has become satanictoaster!

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

well you also have to consider the forum, the membership here just does not really use MAC, although some of us have come in contact with a mac, we just reserve our opinion on it until we actually get to play one. I would say I don't have one because I have disks, software, and schooling based on the PC.

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

nightkid

Post by nightkid »

before judging why not just download the os and install it on a back-up PC? (fully explained instructions and videos online) :wink:
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v328/trenchcoatskrilla/biohazard.gif[/img]

Stavros
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post by Stavros »

Because Macintosh software doesn't natively run on PC hardware. It has a lot to do with how a processor is wired. There is no universal standard as to how a processor reads data. By that I mean very low level code (Assembly). Not to my knowledge anyway. Mac hardware is fundamentally different from, say, x86, x86_64, ARM, etc. And even then there are differences in x86, x86_64, and ARM and so forth.

Ok, so there's Hackintosh OS, but that's not exactly Apple software. I did see a tutorial on how to install Mac OS X on a PC, but that required an emulator, so it still won't natively run on PC hardware.

nightkid

Post by nightkid »

no no, i have seen mac os x, slapped onto a IBM thinkpad , no emulation or anything...no windows on the machine...just straight up apple. on a think pad. ....yes.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v328/trenchcoatskrilla/biohazard.gif[/img]

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

when in doubt, verify

Post by DNR »

I agree with Stavro

here is one proof:

Running Macintosh Software on Other Platforms:
Mac Emulators and Runtime Enviroments
Running Mac OS on PCs or UNIX machines can be done with an emulators or a runtime environment. An emulator, the slower of the two, translates operating system calls into those for a non-native processor. A runtime environment is a native implementation of the OS environment running on top of a Unix (or Unix-like) kernel.

At this point, PearPC is the only software that emulates a PowerPC processor (and Mac OS X) in Windows. The rest all emulate the older 680x0 ("Classic") processor.

For reader comments, see our Mac Emulators for PCs page.

Company or Organization
Product
Host Operating Systems
Description

Apple Computer
Macintosh Application Environment (MAE) 3.0)

Discontinued on 6/1/98.
Solaris and HP-UX
A runtime enviroment that operated in a UNIX X window on Sun SPARC workstations and HP 9000 and 700 workstations. MAE is the most complete Mac environment for another platform. Based on System 7.5.3, MAE 3.0 includes AppleTalk and MacTCP networking, AppleScript, Drag and Drop, PC Exchange, and AppleGuide. MAE 3.0 emulates a 68LC040 processor, and lets you run off-the-shelf Mac software.

ARDI
Suite 4-101
1650 University Blvd., NE
Albuquerque, NM 87102
email
Executor 2.0
Windows, Linux x86
A 680x0 emulator for Windows. Runs some pre-OS X software, but has limitations. The company's engineers have reverse-engineered much of the old Mac Toolbox of pre-OS X Macs.

Christian Bauer
Basilisk II

also here
Windows 95/98/NT, BeOS 4, Amiga, and UNIX
From one of the creators of SheepShaver (see below), an open source 680x0 Mac emulator for Windows 95/98/NT, BeOS, Amiga, and UNIX. Emulates either a Mac Classic (which runs Mac OS 0.x thru 7.5) or a Mac II series machine (which runs MacOS 7.x, 8.0 and 8.1), depending on the ROM being used. Supports sound output, color display, 1.44 MB floppies, CD-ROM, Ethernet, SCSI. Emulates extended ADB keyboard and 3-button mouse. Can exchange files with the PC operating system using a "Host Directory Tree" icon on the Mac desktop .

Emulators, Inc
14150 NE 20th Street, Suite 302 Bellevue, WA 98007 206-236-0540
fax: 206-236-0257 email

SoftMac 2000
Windows 95, Windows 98, or Windows NT/2000/XP
Emulates the 68000-to-68040 Macintosh at the hardware level, emulating the various chips (like Virtual PC). Runs Mac OS 6-to-8.1.Can run Mac OS in a Windows window and can use Mac disk media. Supports sound and printing. Also emulates Atari. Limitted to 256 colors max.

Fusion 3.0

(free download)

(Purchased form Microcode Solutions, new code added to v. 3)
Windows, but you run in DOS mode.
Version 3 added a new 68040 engine core that uses Pentium II/III/Celeron/Athlon optimized code similar to that in SoftMac.

The Mace Project
DICONTINUED

Mace (freeware)
Windows, Linux-on-PC
Another experimental Macintosh 680x0 emulator, which has not evolved past early stages. Mace does not emulate a Macintosh, instead it emulates the Macintosh operating system and Toolbox (the ROM) resulting in the ability to run Macintosh software. Mace will NOT require a Macintosh ROM or the Mac OS like most Macintosh emulators. The emulation of the Mac OS and Toolbox (ROM) will be less compatible than other emulators. Mace will make Macintosh applications look like Windows applications.

Mac-on-Linux
Mac-on-Linux (freeware)
LinuxPPC
An open source Macintosh emulator that runs on top of LinuxPPC. It runs on Macintosh hardware, so the processor is NOT emulated. It can boot Mac OS 8.6-to-9.2 within Linux without a ROM image.

Maui X-Stream Inc.
CherryOS

DISCONTINUED
Windows XP
A G4 (AltiVec) emulator for Windows XP that can run Mac OS X on a PC. Some of its features include:

Network and Internet access
Drag and drop copying of files from Windows and Mac OS X CD/DVD drive access

PearPC Project
PearPC
Windows, Linux
The first PowerPC emulator running in Windows and Linux on Intel-based PCs. PearPC can run Mac OS X "with some caveats," according to the developers, Sebastian Biallas and Stefan Weyergraf, who give the warning:

Please note that this is an experimental program not meant for productive use. There are still unimplemented instructions, mysterious bugs and missing features. Don't use it on important data, it WILL destroy them sooner or later!
SheepShaver Project

SheepShaver
Mac OS 9, Mac OS X for PowerPC and Intel Macs
An Open Source PowerPC Mac OS run-time environment for x86 PCs and also Mac hardware. When running in Mac OS X, Sheepshaver functions similarly to Classic. On Intel Macs, Sheepshaver replaces Classic functionality that Apple dropped. SheepShaver runs Mac OS 7.5.2 through Mac OS 9.0.4 on these systems.

The vMac Group
vMac (freeware)
Windows 95, Windows 98 Windows NT, DOS, OS/2, Linux, NeXTStep for Intel, Unix X Window
A Mac Plus, Motorola 68000 emulator that requires (but doesn't provide) Mac Plus ROM chips. You use utilities to create a software "ROM image" which runs on Windows. The most recent version of Mac OS that vMac runs is System 7.5.5. vMac currently runs in black and white. Comes with a "ROM dumper" utility to create Mac ROM image file from Mac ROMs in a working Mac. vMac is available as a free download.

http://www.macwindows.com/emulator.html#Maconother

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

Holytoaster4

Post by Holytoaster4 »

there never was any doubt in my mind that mac sucks for 4444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444for me. i was just wondering if anyone here could tell me why it would be good.

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

maybe the MAC keyboard doesn't stick on the #4 key?
Dude, we aren't going to convince you to get something you don't want.

"You can't teach a man something he already thinks he knows"

DNR
-

Holytoaster4

Post by Holytoaster4 »

I don't want to be convinced i want to here a civilized argument from someone who has knowledge of computers and still prefers mac. This is evidently not the forum to hear from someone who likes mac better and for that i like this site even more. I don't expect anyone to convince me so if you are not intrested in pointless arguments run, run very far away from this topic.

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

Holytoaster4 wrote:I don't want to be convinced i want to here a civilized argument from someone who has knowledge of computers and still prefers mac. This is evidently not the forum to hear from someone who likes mac better and for that i like this site even more. I don't expect anyone to convince me so if you are not intrested in pointless arguments run, run very far away from this topic.
N3rd is a Mac lover afaik.....And where I used to work (practice work, kinda) my boss was a real Mac daddy xF

Thing is, that everyone has their own taste, and sees the charm in things differently. Those who loves Mac, sees a charm in it that others don't. And those who love Linux, well, those people are right, and should be allowed to enter heaven, and kick the Mormons out : )
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"