Windows Live password phish attack

Fight back! So don't expect to find lame "fake login screens" or similar stuff here.
DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Windows Live password phish attack

Post by DNR »

http://www.neowin.net/news/main/09/10/0 ... ked-online

http://www.crn.com/security/220301140;j ... 4ATMY32JVN
7:55 PM EDT Mon. Oct. 05, 2009 Microsoft (NSDQ:MSFT) on Monday afternoon confirmed reports that hackers got access to several thousands of Windows Live Hotmail customers' credentials through a possible phishing attack.
Microsoft wrote in a blog posted on its Windows Live site that the customer data was exposed due to a likely phishing scheme.

The hack was first reported Monday morning by the Neowin blog site.
""Twice now in the last month or so, I've had to explain to some of my acquaintances that a site that asks you for your Messenger credentials in order to have it show you who's got you marked as blocked is nothing but a login harvester," _dandy_ wrote."
Either the user is getting a email or IM phish -

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

Gr1nd

Re: Windows Live password phish attack

Post by Gr1nd »

dont you just like it when powerful systems get heavily devastated by some twisted kid?

l0ngb1t
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Post by l0ngb1t »

@gr1nd: i don't see how this relfect badly to microsoft, i mean if the users are stupid, how it's micrososft mistake ? if a bank client is silly enough to give away his credit card number and pass, does it mean that the bank sucks?
not standing up for microsoft, just making a point.
There is an UNEQUAL amount of good and bad in most things, the trick is to work out the ratio and act accordingly. "The Jester"

lykos

Post by lykos »

The human element is the weakest point in any system.

~[Lykos]~