200 ways to revive a harddrive

Stumbled over a good link? Post it here... (the board is flushed regularly)
rambo
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

200 ways to revive a harddrive

Post by rambo »

Hard drive failures may be responsible for the biggest headaches IT professionals experience. Recovering lost or corrupted data from failed disks is a nightmare. Fortunately, you have help. TechRepublic asked its members what recovery methods worked best for them. Solutions poured in from IT professionals who've tried everything, revealing that, in many cases, hopeless situations aren't hopeless. In fact, data can often be retrieved from failed disks, if you know how. 200 Ways to Revive a Hard Drive collects more than 200 creative, resourceful, and crafty tips from TechRepublic members. In their own words, here are the solutions they've turned to when trying to rescue data following a hard disk crash or failure.

Code: Select all

http://www.ziddu.com/download.php?uid=bK2hl5WnZa2cnZzzZaqZnJGlZKeZl5w%3D3

n3rd
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by n3rd »

nice ;).

though Ive never had problems with my HDD's still a good one !!
[img]http://img580.imageshack.us/img580/8009/userbar2k.png[/img]

rambo

Post by rambo »

Same, but i have spoken to people who harddrives have screwed up...

marcman9
forum buddy
forum buddy

Post by marcman9 »

i was screwing around wit my harddrive and it crashed and had to reinstall windows and all that shit this seams easier

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

this one is too easy

Post by DNR »

One Best Solution to harddrive failures.

Redundant backups, RAID.

Thats really the easiest solution. If you are in the NFO biznatch, this is the bible verse, [-o< thou shall be redundant.

Now, for the neos that are thinking, "how the fuck am I going to afford a RAID4? Daisy-Chain some f-ing harddrives!?"

Easy honcho. Break it down. You have an OS, you have toolz, and filez. Each one as its install/restore disks, each one can be kept in a safe place.
Its not that complicated, right? :-k

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

computathug
Administrator
Administrator

Post by computathug »

I have only just had time to read this to see if there was anything in there for me too learn from and the first topic i read was on freezing the hard drive. I have done this before and it has worked and got me remembering a few month ago when i tried to help cats do the exact same routine on his dads external hdd which had crashed. Did you manage to get into the drive cats? I remember your dad took it out the freezer too soon and you was going to try again later and forgot to find out your outcome.

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

two nice views on hd repair, not involving refrigeration

Post by DNR »

Putting a HD in a freezer :? Sounds like an old wives tale, why not just wrap it in cheese cloth and bury it in your backyard until the 22nd day of ramadan.. :lol:

I tried to search for articles that explained my POV, with illustrations to boot..

This was a really good article,
"Do it Yourself Hard Disk Repair"
Eric Shufro - 10/2/02
"
Carefully squeeze this piece of plastic gently, but use a moderate amount of force to lift it off its mounting pin. It takes some effort, but it will come right up. Be careful! Both this plastic device as well as the one in the next step are both very fragile and can break easily if squeezed too hard!

Next, remove the head stop mechanism, located as shown in the picture just above. Again, squeeze gently and lift it straight off of the pin.

Gently slide the head off the platter. It will sit nicely in the air without the platter underneath it. DO NOT touch the heads with your fingers or any other material. This may damage them. "

<really nice photos here, I would like more tuts like these>

http://www.overclockers.com/tips1035/
The date might be old, but the idea and principles behind his methods are sound, also, he has decent pics to explain his tut. The idea is removing, testing, and replacing various parts of the hd, with another.

another one thinks differently, with lots of caution.

"The first thing is that in his view, about 85% of the dead drives are due to software, not hardware. This can be fixed with a bunch of tools, mounting in a different OS, using a LiveCD, or simply trying it in a different version of the OS itself. There are tons of tools, ranging from really expensive to free to help you..

The other 15% is mechanical, and that is where the problems come in. 10% tends to be the electronics on the bottom, 4% are the heads or platters, and about 1% is the motor."

"Overall, fixing a hard drive comes down to software tools, and then rarely hardware swaps. If it is hardware, then you are usually looking at a board swap, and barring that, things get messy. In any case it is doable to fix things yourself, but be prepared to break a few drives. "

"The problem is that those electronics tend to change on a regular basis, be it the PCB and components, or the firmware, and it does so without any warning. Because the drive is a self-contained unit, who cares what happens on the inside. If you are going to swap PCBs, you need a drive date coded within two months of the dead one, less if you want to be safe."

http://www.theinquirer.net/en/inquirer/ ... hard-drive

Each computer failure is unique and there are always several solutions to repair the problem. The hacker mindset is always to explore, to take something apart. This also explains the benefit of being a packrat, with some product loyalty - old parts might be interchangable or useful...

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.