getting expired domain names - how it works

DON'T post new tutorials here! Please use the "Pending Submissions" board so the staff can review them first.
bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

getting expired domain names - how it works

Post by bad_brain »

I've been asked now a couple of times already how it works when a domain expires.

let's say you have an eye on a domain name, it seems to be abandoned and on a WHOIS lookup you get the info the domain expires soon.
most people think once the domain registration is expired the domain is free and available for everyone again, but that's not how it works:

- once the domain name is expired a 40 day "redemption period" starts, in this time only the former owner can take any action by renewing the domain (which is not very likely because to renew a domain in the redemption period is pretty expensive).

- after the 40 days the domain status will change to "locked", this status stays for 5 days...after this period the domain will be dropped from the ICANN database, when done it's free and available again.

they say the overall timespan from the day of expiry until the day the domain is available again is 75 days.

all status info (expired, redemption, locked) can be found in the WHOIS info.

:wink:

n3rd
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by n3rd »

this is a great help.... knowing that I need to wait a frikking long time XD.

but what I dont get is why do people register the domain ... but put it non active for over periods of years?.
[img]http://img580.imageshack.us/img580/8009/userbar2k.png[/img]

Holytoaster4
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Post by Holytoaster4 »

i don't know if this is a way to get an expired domain for free or just know when to try to buy the one you've been waiting for. somebody please explain this to me.
Holytoaster has become satanictoaster!

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

free as in, "free for anyone to claim". It still costs money =)
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

it's the time schedule of a timed out domain. let's say you have found a domain you always wanted and the owner has not renewed it (info about the state of the domain can be found by a WHOIS lookup)....my post shows you what happens when a domain has timed out and how long it takes until you can register it again under your name, many people think once a domain registration has timed out it can be taken instantly again by somebody else....which is wrong.
:wink:

Holytoaster4

Post by Holytoaster4 »

oh, ok thanks for clearing that up. I was hoping that there actually was a way to get a free domain.
Holytoaster has become satanictoaster!

floodhound2
∑lectronic counselor
∑lectronic counselor

Post by floodhound2 »

n3rd wrote: but what I dont get is why do people register the domain ... but put it non active for over periods of years?.
They keep the names to sell for profit. Like if you owned McDonalds.com. Some day McDonalds would pay thousands for it. At least this is the idea.