Multicore Programming

DON'T post new tutorials here! Please use the "Pending Submissions" board so the staff can review them first.
Big-E
Administrator
Administrator

Multicore Programming

Post by Big-E »

A new course released via MIT's OpenCourseWare on Multicore Programming. If you have any interest in programming on any architecture, it would be worth while to invest some time on this. I think multicore CPU's are the norm today. ..might as well utilize them.

http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/Electrical-En ... /index.htm

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

it SHOULD be standard nowadays, but seems even big game development companies still aren't really able to utilize that technology or at least follow the standards. I had weird error messages in multiple games already (Borderlands for example): "Detected negative delta time".
the error is caused by the fact that the different CPU cores not always have exactly the same frequency (even 1hz more or less can trigger that error).

P.S. for AMD X2 CPUs the fix can be found here.

Stavros
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post by Stavros »

bad_brain wrote:it SHOULD be standard nowadays, but seems even big game development companies still aren't really able to utilize that technology or at least follow the standards.
Oh man you aren't kidding. It was so bad for Mass Effect that I had to alt+tab out and manually set the processor affinity to one core otherwise I'd get a general protection fault error.

Anyway, my university offers a course in multicore processing. Only reason I didn't is that I'm already on the line with my GPA and I'd have to learn Ada on my own.