optimize your mysql server

DON'T post new tutorials here! Please use the "Pending Submissions" board so the staff can review them first.
bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

optimize your mysql server

Post by bad_brain »

the mysql server bears a lot of optimization potential, but especially for beginners the config can be a pain in the rear. I found a real nice script that helps a lot finding optimized settings for your mysql server, here's how to get/use it:

Code: Select all

#download it into /usr/bin so you can start it from #everywhere
cd /usr/bin
wget http://www.day32.com/MySQL/tuning-primer.sh

#give the proper permissions to run it
chmod 755 tuning-primer.sh
alright, done! you can run the script now from every location by typing tuning-primer.sh
keep your mysql password for the root user ready, if you don't want to enter it every time chose "yes" when it asks "Would you like me to create a ~/.my.cnf file for you?".

when running it you get a nice and colorful output, red color means there should/can be optimized something, the syntax for the optimized settings (if there is no default setting than simply have to be edited in /etc/mysql/my.cnf) can be googled easily.

for the proper calculation of memory usage "bc" have to be installed, should be part of the repositories for any package-based distro.

enjoy! :wink:
Last edited by bad_brain on 27 Jan 2009, 12:53, edited 1 time in total.

pseudo_opcode
cyber messiah
cyber messiah

Post by pseudo_opcode »

nice man, especially now we have a subject in school, DBMS, everything related to database optimization comes handy... :)

Hex00010
forum buddy
forum buddy

Re: optimize your mysql server

Post by Hex00010 »

That is also good

You can also optimize MYSQL via the my.cnf file :)