ophcrack tut please

Wrote your own tutorial? Submit it here!
Kirk
suck-o enforcer
suck-o enforcer

ophcrack tut please

Post by Kirk »

Will somebody write a detailed and complete tut on how to use and all the things you can do with ophcrack. I know the basics, very basics, but would like to know more. I know you can do a lot with it and id like to know what.

Thanks.

Gogeta70
^_^
^_^

Post by Gogeta70 »

Ophcrack is a rather simple tool. It is made for both windows and linux, though it is most effective when used with linux. It works by using rainbow tables to quickly crack ntlm hashes, which are used to encrypt the passwords on a windows machine.

Usage of ophcrack is simple: Simply input the location of the rainbow tables, load the SAM file, and click start. It should have the password cracked within a few minutes, usually seconds. I ran it on my buddy's computer (with permission - he had forgotten his password) and it cracked his password in about 5 seconds. It was "bluetuesday".

On a side note: This isn't really the topic to request tutorials in.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It works on my machine...

Kirk
suck-o enforcer
suck-o enforcer

Post by Kirk »

I understand that much of it. But the ophcrack i have is nearly an entire OS. It can do all kinds of cool stuff.

Gogeta70
^_^
^_^

Post by Gogeta70 »

Opcrack is not an os. That's like calling ms solitaire an os. You probably have linux with ophcrack on it, which is entirely different.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It works on my machine...

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

yep, I guess he means the Ophcrack live CD... :wink:
the documentation is not that great, but take a look here:
http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/o ... rack_Howto

P.S. for rainbow tables go here:
http://tbhost.eu/rt.php
I am not sure if Ophcrack can use indexed tables, if not they can be converted... :wink: