[Tutorial] Overclocking - CPU/GPU/RAM - 02-11-2012 REVISION!

DON'T post new tutorials here! Please use the "Pending Submissions" board so the staff can review them first.
eppik
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

[Tutorial] Overclocking - CPU/GPU/RAM - 02-11-2012 REVISION!

Post by eppik »

So What is Overclocking?

Overclocking is the art of increasing the running speed of components to increase performance.

--------------- For all architecture older than Socket 1366 ---------------
Ok so lets begin with the basics:

- Try to increase your BUS frequency (aka FSB or HTT in AMD terms) in small increments at a time. Can be blocks of 100 MHZ or as low as 1 MHz

- Every 200-500 Mhz boot your OS and run a high CPU load application (Prime95, Intel burn test, etc..) on its maximum heat and RAM usage mode, don't forget to monitor your temperatures!

- Temperatures vary from Architecture to architecture (95nm, 65nm, 45nm, 32nm, etc..), but for Intel CPUs ranging from the Core 2 architecture to the Core i architecture, ~80ºC is widely regarded as the safe maximum temperature achievable under artificial Maximum Load (burn test). obviously the CPU will rarely, if ever, reach these temperatures in real life use

- IF you start getting BSODs, Freezes, random reboots, its time to either back down on your frequency, or start increasing the voltages. Also try and keep your RAM within its specified operating Frequency, unless you plan on overclocking them aswell (performance gains are marginal)

- The first voltage to change is without a doubt the CPU voltage, or vCore (per Intel Spec.). Start with small increments (0.01-0.05v increments) until the CPU is stable to withstand a OS boot. Or just keep increase the FSB to whatever frequency you want to overclock your CPU to (lets say you want to get your stock 2.66Ghz quad, to a stable 3.6Ghz, then just set FSB to 450x8 or 360x10 (xMulti is the CPU multiplier). Keep increasing the voltage untill the machine can POST (it boots and you can see the BIOS boot screen). A quick internet search will let you know most of the time what voltages people are running on their CPUs for similar frequencies, also dont forget to check the CPU datasheet (at the manufacturer website) as it has all the safe voltage limits on that CPU (that doesn't mean you should try them..)

- You probably will also need to change some other voltages to get the system stable, vFSB is the system bus voltage, the voltage for the lanes that connect ALL the chips, so be careful with it (dont go over 1.3 on 45nm CPUs)
vNB is the North-bridge Voltage, this value is Chipset dependent, 1.3-1.4 should be enough unless you have a Quad-Core with a low multiplier (thus needing lots of FSB) this also need to be increased depending on the Number and Capacity of RAM sticks (more sticks=more vNB) and also depends on the number of Graphic cards and other PCI cards (more cards mean more load).
vPLL is the CPU PLL voltage, it depends greatly from CPU to CPU, but for 65nm and 45nm a value between 1.4-1.6v is fine.

--------------- For socket 1155 ---------------

Now when it comes to the more recent Socket 1155 Sandybridge / IvyBridge architecture overclocking has become quite simplistic and derp-proof.
Increasing Bus speeds is now really difficult, and you'd be lucky to get a 10 Mhz increase in FSB, thus even the cheapest 1150 Motherboards are great for overclocking because they play little part in system stability.

With this socket you only really have to increase the CPU clock multiplier to whatever value you want (Bus speed is 100Mhz so a Multi of x50 would give you 5Ghz), and increase the CPU vCore accordingly. You don't (and shouldn't) touch the other motherboard voltages as they are very sensitive even a slight increase can cause "problems" (Also the default PLL of 1.8 is more than enough, but if you must you can increase it a bit, not exceeding 1.85v)
As it stands with the new architecture, only ****K cpus have an unlocked multiplier, so overclocking with something else is worthless.
This Architecture also allows for motherboards to change DRAM Frequency independently of FSB like before, but now since you are not chaning the Bus speed you won't be increasing the Ram speed as you go along, thus everything is much more stable and easy to work with).

Now....Video Card 'clockin!

The best method to overclock a graphics card is using software such as:
ATI Tools
ATI Tray Tools
ATI Control panel (comes with ATI drivers)
RIVATuner
etc...

OR a Vendor specific software like Saphire Trixx or MSI afterburner that allow you to increase the core voltage

It works like a CPU, but you dont control the multiplier.
Also dont expect to go over 50-100Mhz overclock and stay 100% stable without increasing the voltages
GPU memory may be overclockeable to +200Mhz, but its mostly worthless.

If your card cannot have its voltage changed on the fly, your next step is to flash the BIOS for a modified one.
I won't go into much detail here but I WILL leave a name to get you started (ATI only):

ATIflash

It will allow you to Dump, edit and flash the BIOS to your liking (it allows you to adjust not only frequency specific voltages, but also temperature fan speed steps, which are great to keep those temps in check while having fan speeds on auto)

As for NVidia I have yet to look into it.

Memory Clockin'

As you overclock you pc you also overclock EVERY single component linked to the mobo (Not on 1155)
I wont go into much depth here but a few pointers:

DDR2 RAM: 2.0 - 2.2volts 533 - 1066 Mhz
DDR3 RAM: 1.5 - 1.9volts 1066 - 2000Mhz

For socket 1155 only, DDR3 Ram should rarely exceed 1.5v under penalty of damaging the ram controller

If you underclock your RAM you can always lower the Timings to boost performance a bit
If you overclock it you may have to relax the timings a bit, unless you really boost the voltage.

Useful sites:
xtremesystems
hwbot
guru3d
Team OCX
google

Useful Apps:

CPUZ
Super PI
wPrime
Pcmark06
3dmark 01 to 11
Aquamark
OCCT (Run linpack for max CPU stress test)
ORthos
FurMark (GPU stress testing)

Final Note: Be aware that even a stable system will spit out errors at a much larger rate than a stock system, but if you dont plan on having high uptimes (2+ weeks) you should be fine. You could always get some ECC Ram to correct some of those errors but for a standard desktop that is overkill.

Also Cosmic Rays and stuff....

END OF TUTORIAL

Revised as of 02th November 2011
Last edited by eppik on 02 Nov 2012, 11:09, edited 9 times in total.

pseudo_opcode
cyber messiah
cyber messiah

Post by pseudo_opcode »

Made sticky, overclocking voids the warranty and in intel original boards it is locked, i have *heard* its possible to unlock it after flashing the Bios or something.. but well i dont know.. last time i overclocked my system, i didnt experience much change in performance but when i played games my system restarted frequently, so maybe it doesnt suit my box.

Gogeta70
^_^
^_^

Post by Gogeta70 »

I would also like to add the important fact that overclocking causes your hardware to wear out a whole lot faster than it's intended life span, so expect to be spending some money in a few years on a new part.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It works on my machine...

eppik

Post by eppik »

Ill add it now tnx gogeta forgot that :P

And pseudo_opcode, only old intels are blocked, my INTEL is blocked but my motherboard allows me to change it from 2.6 to....3.4!!! And it only raises 4ºC in temp on idle (but it reaches 55+ ºC using the torture test hehe.

Anyway my new Intel Core2Duo E6300 is considered the best processor in the world. Why? Cuz you can change its running speed of 1.8 Ghz to an astonishing 3.3 Ghz!! (NOTE: get a damn 14 cm CPU Fan to keep i cool hehe.)

pseudo_opcode
cyber messiah
cyber messiah

Post by pseudo_opcode »

eppik wrote:And pseudo_opcode, only old intels are blocked, my INTEL is blocked but my motherboard allows me to change it from 2.6 to....3.4!!! And it only raises 4ºC in temp on idle (but it reaches 55+ ºC using the torture test hehe.
Ah i dunno maybe i m getting older and outdated myself.. :oops:

Necrix
The Hacker Wolf
The Hacker Wolf

Post by Necrix »

gogeta70 wrote:I would also like to add the important fact that overclocking causes your hardware to wear out a whole lot faster than it's intended life span, so expect to be spending some money in a few years on a new part.
Kinda like the same effect of using Nitrous Oxide in a vehicle..it makes it go fast, but it wears it down faster as well.
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews

pseudo_opcode
cyber messiah
cyber messiah

Post by pseudo_opcode »

If this world is able to beat moore's law then probably overclocking would not hurt since people will be changing their processors after like one year. atleast i do it after like every 2 years right now.

eppik

Post by eppik »

pseudo_opcode wrote:If this world is able to beat moore's law then probably overclocking would not hurt since people will be changing their processors after like one year. atleast i do it after like every 2 years right now.

Yes...i just changed mine...after 2 years of pains in the arse

alien100

Post by alien100 »

dont forget cpuidle
[img]http://img127.imageshack.us/img127/9128/sig3copyyybq4.jpg[/img]

eppik

Post by eppik »

alien100 wrote:dont forget cpuidle
WTF? idle? lol

I'm gonna google for that tnx...

alien100

Post by alien100 »

its meant to be the best
[img]http://img127.imageshack.us/img127/9128/sig3copyyybq4.jpg[/img]

eppik

Post by eppik »

I've revised the Guide, polished a bit.

I kind of sad I'm unable to find the ammount of time to make a good tutorial, but for the utmost basics it should work.

Also i've become much more proficient at overclocking since ive written this. Check my post in the Main forum.

computathug
Administrator
Administrator

Post by computathug »

Good work buddy.

A lot of the good tuts are being made into pdf's so lets see if someone has already started this section and may have to redo it, so thanks for also stating that it has been updated.

Good to see you around the forum again 8)

Lyecdevf
cyber Idi Amin
cyber Idi Amin

Post by Lyecdevf »

A while ago I tried to overclock my dual core processor. I raised the frequency for about 40 but than I had problems with restarting the machine if I remember correctly.
We will either find a way, or make one.
- Hannibal

eppik

Re: [Tutorial] Overclocking - CPU/GPU/RAM - 9-11-11 REVISION!

Post by eppik »

Major Revision!