Video - How to build a computer

DON'T post new tutorials here! Please use the "Pending Submissions" board so the staff can review them first.
Gogeta70
^_^
^_^

Video - How to build a computer

Post by Gogeta70 »

Hey everyone. This video was made by me, it's only the basics really, i didn't show things such as setting hard drive jumpers, or motherboard jumpers, etc.

Also, i accidentally forgot to plug in the molex connector, so just kind of keep that it mind. Anyway, i actually intended the video to be all one piece, but i kept getting interrupted so it's in 3 parts now.

First interruption was severe thunderstorms + tornadoes going through my town, second one was the camera just stopped recording, and the third one was the memory card got full. I actually remade one of the segments, so it only looks like i got interrupted 2 times, for those that do the math... Anyway, enjoy.

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It works on my machine...

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

good job

Post by DNR »

I was really impressed - more because you built the computer with only your left hand! You needed a person to hold the camera to free up your right hand :lol:
Its a bitch to snap in RAM, but I watched you do it with one hand!

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

floodhound2
∑lectronic counselor
∑lectronic counselor

Post by floodhound2 »

Nice video and good detail...
₣£ΘΘĐĦΘŮŇĐ

Gogeta70
^_^
^_^

Post by Gogeta70 »

I thought the video kind of sucked, but i've never been much of a camera person. Glad you guys liked it.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It works on my machine...

MariaLara
suck-o-fied!
suck-o-fied!

Post by MariaLara »

Don't be hard on yourself! You did an awesome job filming! You spoke very clear and knowledgeable while filming and assembling.

Lyecdevf
cyber Idi Amin
cyber Idi Amin

Post by Lyecdevf »

Yeah, the video was very detailed. You documented almost ever single move one needs to make to build a computer! Good job! :D
We will either find a way, or make one.
- Hannibal

ulysse
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Post by ulysse »

Hey sorry to Bump that, but i was wondering. When buying new parts and a new case, How can you be sure that everything will physically fit in? I'm talking about width, height, lenght and the case's screw hole alignement towards our hardware's screw hole alignement. Is there some sort of standard sizes to everything or what?

computathug
Administrator
Administrator

Post by computathug »

ulysse wrote:Hey sorry to Bump that, but i was wondering. When buying new parts and a new case, How can you be sure that everything will physically fit in? I'm talking about width, height, lenght and the case's screw hole alignement towards our hardware's screw hole alignement. Is there some sort of standard sizes to everything or what?
Yeah, it depends on the size of the mobo as generally larger ones wont fit into smaller towers, but the smaller boards will fit into the larger towers as they are a standard size. If the tower is big enough then the size of the mobo wont be important but make sure that it has the correct power supply for the board. :wink:

floodhound2
∑lectronic counselor
∑lectronic counselor

Post by floodhound2 »

ulysse wrote:Hey sorry to Bump that, but i was wondering. When buying new parts and a new case, How can you be sure that everything will physically fit in? I'm talking about width, height, lenght and the case's screw hole alignement towards our hardware's screw hole alignement. Is there some sort of standard sizes to everything or what?
Cases are made to fit a specific standard i.e. ATX, Micro ATX, mini ATX.

Thus the mother board must match as well.

New stuff is multi package capable. This means a case will will have the foot prints required to fit most all sizes of motherboards, but check to make sure.
₣£ΘΘĐĦΘŮŇĐ

ulysse

Post by ulysse »

Thanks for the mobo info floodhound and computathug

but what about the PSU and HDD screw holes? how can i be sure they will fit the Case's screw holes?

floodhound2
∑lectronic counselor
∑lectronic counselor

Post by floodhound2 »

The PSU is almost always standard today. There are some slight differences in processor power input connector and serial HD power connectors, but typicaly an adapter can be used in this rare situation, or simply a modification in the power connector can be made by breaking or adding the already suppled extra connector. Just make sure to match the motherboard with your power supply. Most new, good cases come with a decent power supply that is universal. Look here fore more information

http://www.suck-oold.com/modules.php?na ... pic&t=4850

Now if you building an old system like 15 years old then look into an AT PSU.

Also the HD and other devices will fit with no problems because it is all standard modular type stuff. Your case will come with screws and other types of hardware to make things easy for you.

Caution - when installing the motherboard make sure to use the standoffs!!!!
₣£ΘΘĐĦΘŮŇĐ

ulysse

Post by ulysse »

Hey thanks for the awesome link floodhound 8O

That pretty much covers all my questions about that thanks guys

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

tricks of an old builder

Post by DNR »

When you build many boxes, including in tight spaces like a u2 rackmount, you pick up a few tricks.

One trick I learned at a network solutions company was folding the ribbon cables to route from the device to mobo. It had to be flat and neat to promote good air flow. You can make sharp folds in ribbon cable and not have any loss of QoS. Since we build many computers with the same specs for a company, we would use a copy machine to photocopy the folded ribbon cable and put it in their file in case they order more later.

You want to tie up cables and secure them out of the way, it makes for a cooler, neater box to look at and in function.
Don't forget to protect your box by wearing a ESD bracelet or at least installing the PSU first and plugging it in - you have a ground wire on the PSU that grounds the metal frame of your box - having it plugged in - provides a ground for you to touch off any ESD while working. You cannot get electrocuted unless you fuck with the PSU like a noob, this set up is to PROTECT the computer, not you :lol: Remember, the Electrostatic shock you can FEEL is about 3,000 volts to 8,000volts, your mobo can be easily killed by ESD caused by your anal hairs flapping when you fart.

Also, you can splice on to another fan's DC supply to run two fans - I did this on a box back in 1996 and it is still running :wink: Server packages have super fans, and since you leave your computer on as long, you should have the same supreme cooling. Just add on a fan and follow the push/pull of the other fan's airflow.

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.