Hello!

Introduce yourself here....
DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Re: Hello!

Post by DNR »

"he" is used loosely around here :wink:
It is about skill, and how you communicate.

I am impressed Maboroshi warned you about malware/career path.
You have to remember most people are not that deep. They only see the internet as a 'right' and not a privilege. They expect to press a power button and be instantly connected to the world wide web. Try explaining FTP, HTTP, SMTP/POP/IMAP - and you lose many people. Try explaining malware, viruses, trojans - and people will only ask "hey can you get in to my girlfriend's email account?"

People are not deep.
People will also view what they do not understand with FUD - Fear, Uncertainty, and Despair. "Fear" - "Oh, she might crash our network if we let her experiment "(or just your luck, their network did crash - "She must have done it!"), Uncertainty - "She might be one of those .. Black Hatters from DefCon?!", or Despair - "She is criminal! She only wants to break things!"

In college, I was not well regarded by other students. I set the grading curve very high - scoring 100 to 99% on every IT/CIS exam - so every student that did the middling 70 to 60% score failed (which was half the class) I was lucky to be known by 2 experienced teachers who understood the depth of my knowledge and wisdom in IT (been online since 1987). The other teachers always squinted their eyes and held their breath if I raised my hand in class. The one teacher had me put on a hacking demonstration for the new IT/CIS class entering college. To show the student the exciting side of computing, she used me to put on a 'show'.
I would use the overhead projector to show what I could do on the computer. I would demonstrate simple cracking (retrieving windows screensaver pwd) to complex cracking (bruteforcing a 4 digit pwd for a software), then I would fire up a packetsniffer to sniff the segment - if any students in the class (which all had a computer ) were bored with my presentation and decided to chat or surf the net to check their email - I grepped their logins and chat conversations live - I replayed a AIM conversation, and exposed a plaintext login for tripod or some similar email host. That got everyone's attention. I think I also did email headers, email spoofing off a open port 25 sending email as if it came from the president@whitehouse.gov . It was exciting.
Other teachers regarded me with fear or suspicion.

I blew a job opportunity by emailing a thank you letter off a open smtp port rather than use a proper email host. Trying to impress, I made them afraid of my ethics.

I have never used a CC or taken data. I have read emails, files, and images. I am just a witness.

In short, do try to present yourself as normal as possible. Companies want to hire employees that are 'dumb'. Trainable. model clay. They just want you to build a node, connect it, keep segments running, backup servers, and all that boring shit. Pretend thats all you care about.

I do encourage that you try for InfoSec certifications - they will lend a bit of legitimacy to any study you do toward malware.

Build your own lab, this is where you will learn how malware works.

We do have a backroom/VIP section for students we are impressed with. Girls allowed.

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

lilrofl
Siliconoclast
Siliconoclast

Post by lilrofl »

It is an exciting time to get into malware actually with stuxnet and conficker changing the face of it these days. Also pink is my favorite color for the record :D

I don't know anything about the CEH degree, but DNR is correct, the study of malware requires a security lab, although that lab can be virtual if you only have access to one physical machine.

We don't really flame people here so you can cross that worry off the list.

I need coffee......
knuffeltjes voor mijn knuffel
[img]http://i911.photobucket.com/albums/ac320/stuphsack/Sig.jpg[/img]

DrVirus
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Post by DrVirus »

Ah !! Someone who is interested in virus !! How exciting !! I did a little research on computer virus once. Nothing as deep as you guys of course. But the concept is fascinating. If you think of the first generation viruses before the malware, trojans, spywares completely took over the sector. They were the most interesting specimen of programs I ever came across. They would hook on to an exe file and create copies of themselves. Infinitely. I believe the first antivirus software focused largely on the aspect. Finding and terminating self replicating files from the system.

But to think about it, when we created that virus we created the closet thing to a human. Didn't we ?? :D

DrV

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

Gee lilrofl, I thought your favorite color would be green or ACU?

:wink:

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

My favorite color is white, for those who wonders.

Since it contains all of them, it makes it the master of all the colors.
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

black is my favorite for text, its old school.

DNR
-

Sh3ll3377
forum buddy
forum buddy

Post by Sh3ll3377 »

DNR wrote: In college, I was not well regarded by other students.

DNR
I feel that pain, at most there are 2 females in my class, myself and another therefore I am reminded how males dominate the IT world and it sucks because some males have less than honorable intentions or they believe women should be stuck in the 50's.

DNR wrote:
In short, do try to present yourself as normal as possible. Companies want to hire employees that are 'dumb'. Trainable. model clay. They just want you to build a node, connect it, keep segments running, backup servers, and all that boring shit. Pretend thats all you care about.
DNR

I attempt to be normal as possible, I work with computers and troubleshooting networks, dba and all that crap. I tend to stay to myself and in my down time I read. I am extremely competitive, not a fan of asking for help and so I like to tear things apart to see how they work.

DNR wrote:
I do encourage that you try for InfoSec certifications - they will lend a bit of legitimacy to any study you do toward malware.

DNR

So far I have 3 certifications and plan on getting 3 more by the end of the year. I just passed the CEH cert scoring a 93% out of 100 which I still have absolutely no clue how that happened. I will be getting the CISSP in May and CSA soon after. Then I am beginning a Master's program which will grant me 4 more certifications which is a requirement to graduate from the school.

DNR wrote:
We do have a backroom/VIP section for students we are impressed with. Girls allowed.

DNR

I will be honest I may be scarce for the next few weeks, but after that I will most definitely be a proactive member :mrgreen: I love to learn.

Sh3ll3377
forum buddy
forum buddy

Post by Sh3ll3377 »

lilrofl wrote:

I don't know anything about the CEH degree, but DNR is correct, the study of malware requires a security lab, although that lab can be virtual if you only have access to one physical machine.

I need coffee.....

The CEH is a certification through EC Council and I always have major test anxiety so I was really happy with how well I did *thumb*

I do have a separate computer for hacking and playing on as I would be super pissed if I fried my gaming computer which I almost had to take a 2nd mortgage out to pay for lol jk

P.S. I live on coffee :P

Sh3ll3377
forum buddy
forum buddy

Post by Sh3ll3377 »

DrVirus wrote:
Ah !! Someone who is interested in virus !! How exciting !!

But to think about it, when we created that virus we created the closet thing to a human. Didn't we ?? :D

DrV
Essentially yes, they say that computer viruses are the closest thing to AI and that it makes a computer do something it was not intended to do.....funny how those things work out though. I still would like to get an untouched code of a polymorphic virus just to tear it apart to look at it and learn from it. Kind of like dissecting the frog in biology :D

Sh3ll3377
forum buddy
forum buddy

Post by Sh3ll3377 »

DNR wrote:Gee lilrofl, I thought your favorite color would be green or ACU?

:wink:

DNR
For the record, NO ONE likes the ACU colors especially the new multicam uniforms....

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

I seem to like ACU :-99

Masters in IT, CEH, loves to tear things apart - and female, be still my heart 8)

yea I guess I can feel your pain, see the lady I met and ended up marrying - was also a CIS/IT student. Girls were usually left to fend for themselves with group projects/class projects - usually by guys that were afraid the girls would beat them in smarts, and that was a lot of guys. I was one of the few guys that felt secure in my knowledge, that I helped everyone succeed - if they asked for help. There is a difference between asking me for help and asking me for the answers. I guess after a few group projects, this girl and me went off and got married. (we dated only 6 months, now married 10+ years.)

Time, we have plenty of. Suck-o has been around for so many years.
Many of us are still working or going to school, so we come and go like this is, home.

DNR
-

Sh3ll3377
forum buddy
forum buddy

Post by Sh3ll3377 »

DNR wrote:
I seem to like ACU :-99

DNR
Lol, well I seem to like ACU just a bit, but only when my husband wears it lol ^^

DNR wrote:
Many of us are still working or going to school, so we come and go like this is, home.

DNR
outstanding, I will like that :P

Lundis
Distorter of Reality
Distorter of Reality

Post by Lundis »

Welcome to suck-o!

I recommend this book:

Code: Select all

http://www.amazon.com/Reversing-Secrets-Engineering-Eldad-Eilam/dp/0764574817/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1332499657&sr=8-1
You might want to get another book on x86 assembly to read first if you're unfamiliar with asm.

DrVirus

Post by DrVirus »

I used to love reading the Giant Black Book of Computer Virus. Who was the writer ?? Mark something. I don't remember. The damn this is heavily outdated but can still be fun right ?? :D Also check out Rootkits: Subverting the Windows Kernel. Fun book !! :wink:

DrV

P.S Guys and lady, stop with the colors already !! Making my eyes hurt !! :mrgreen:

Sh3ll3377
forum buddy
forum buddy

Post by Sh3ll3377 »

DrVirus wrote:I used to love reading the Giant Black Book of Computer Virus. Who was the writer ?? Mark something.

DrV

P.S Guys and lady, stop with the colors already !! Making my eyes hurt !! :mrgreen:
Mark Ludwig *thumb*

P.s. Just cause lol

:mrgreen: