My short tale of awakening......

Introduce yourself here....
TheScottyTurner
On the way to fame!
On the way to fame!

My short tale of awakening......

Post by TheScottyTurner »

Hi all, my name is Scotty Turner. Right now,I'm in my freshman year at community college with plans to transfer to a four-year to get my Bachelors degree. My current major is CIS, I want to get into game programming, I'm not really too sure on the details, but I know it's something that I feel passionate about. I know this may sound dumb, maybe not, but I remember at my JH/HS, we had this computer technician who was the administrator, he was an older man with a completely white beard, and he fixed and knew everything there was to know about computers and he's, in a sense, my role model of what I want to be in computers.
Let's continue, this is a short, paraphrased version of my adventure being a complete n00b. I first got introduced to the whole hacking/security culture about 4 months ago. I came across a great piece of text that went by the name of "How To Become A Hacker" and it was written by the great Eric S. Raymond. It awoke me in a sense, it made me realize what was truly possible in computers. I then found The Hacker Manifesto from that article, I read this text and instantly knew that it was a classic, almost biblical text and there wasn't a feeling like the first time I read it.
Also from my readings across the internet, I've learned about some of the flavors of Linux and it all just fascinates me, I've dabbled with it only a couple times; though I feel I need to learn a lot more before I start really messing with it.
These readings got me greatly interested in learning "how to hack" and I tried what almost every crazy n00b does; I was scouring the internet looking for people to just tell me how to hack, step by step. I eventually found out that this approach didn't work Don't get me wrong throughout all of this I have, at times, felt like taking the easy way and just trying to crack, but over the past couple of weeks, I've realized that I really want to take this seriously and make something of myself. I'm no genius or computer guru and I don't know all the jargon, I'm an 18 year old guy, wildly fascinated by computers. I look forward to learning much from everyone here and eventually helping others. Thanks for taking the time to read this if you made it through it all!!

TheScottyTurner
On the way to fame!
On the way to fame!

Re: My short tale of awakening......

Thank you, man! That really means a lot :D It's nice to meet you, by the way 8)

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

Your story is a proper awakening. Too many people want to get in to hacking for the wrong reasons.
In the context of the movie "The Matrix", we like to say - you decided to chose the Red Pill, over the Blue Pill. The Red Pill is a decision, the decision to learn about everything you can. The Blue Pill was about obeying what others will 'teach you', about not looking for answers because you trust others to manage your life.

The Blue Pill is real, it is 'wine and games' tactic the governments and corporations use to keep people buying things they don't need, working for someone else, because they owe others, and to keep people from questioning their authority. Play the lottery - maybe you'll be given a future. Drink, pills, and abuse drugs, sex, and TV - are used to lull you in to complacency. Calming music as they lead you to slaughter. Fear, Uncertainty, and Despair are real tactics in use today, FUD.

Understand that the Journey is the prize, as there is no summit or peak. With each step, you will learn there are more steps to take. There is no right path, but only the right direction.

Good Luck, neophyte. Lets see if you are still around a year from now...

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

Raz0r
suck-o-fied!
suck-o-fied!

Post by Raz0r »

DNR wrote:Understand that the Journey is the prize, as there is no summit or peak. With each step, you will learn there are more steps to take. There is no right path, but only the right direction.
Dudddddde ............

Welcome to the forum,hope you learn alot.
I can use all the shells,so now I can finally hear the ocean

eppik
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Post by eppik »

Only advice I can give is:

Try stuff out -> analyse the results -> Learn -> Loop

Experimenting is the fun off It all.

TheScottyTurner
On the way to fame!
On the way to fame!

Thank all you guys, for the warm welcome! :D
and DNR, I've read a few of your post on here (mostly in the newbie section, as I haven't made much farther than that 8) ), but I like a lot of what you have to say; it's nice to finally meet you.
Lets see if you are still around a year from now...
I don't know if this is the way you meant for me to take this, but I'm making that a personal goal of mine( not that I had any doubt :P ). I will be here and I'll be learning every moment that I am. Again, it's nice to meet you guys!! :mrgreen:

ph0bYx
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by ph0bYx »

Hm. Someone with potential again. We haven't had someone like that since.. well.. SINCE ME! :D

Welcome to suck-o. Enjoy your journey ;)

TheScottyTurner
On the way to fame!
On the way to fame!

We haven't had someone like that since.. well.. SINCE ME! :D
Lmao, nice to meet ya! :D

lilrofl
Siliconoclast
Siliconoclast

Post by lilrofl »

Well, welcome to Suck-O. I think no matter what your skill level is, you'll find an accepting audience here. While it's true that no one can teach you how to hack, you can be shown landmarks along the way. You appear motivated, and confidant, and that will take you a lot father then you think... and in reality it is the journey that's important.

Enjoy your stay :)
knuffeltjes voor mijn knuffel
[img]http://i911.photobucket.com/albums/ac320/stuphsack/Sig.jpg[/img]

lykos

Post by lykos »

The piece by Eric S Raymond was also a first step for me. It was something that when i read i instantly identified with. It put a definition to who i was and the way that my mind worked it helped me find a direction and a purpose. Im glad it also opened your eyes!

~[Lykos]~

computathug
Administrator
Administrator

Post by computathug »

Ahhhhhh ....The Awakening, there will be many of them, how much you want to know is down to you. Once you realise we are all connected and all we have to do is let go of the ego, then we can all work in harmony in all walks of life.

Welcome to Suck-o
The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose.
-- William Shakespeare, "The Merchant of Venice"
https://tshirt-memes.com