Road biking ftw

Show off with your scars! ^^
hpprinter100
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Road biking ftw

Post by hpprinter100 »

Weather has been terrible for ages so finally got out yesterday on my trek :)

Any other road bikers here?

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Re: Road biking ftw

Post by DNR »

Trek is good comp.

I ride fat tire, BB rides a hybrid.

I got a 24 speed 1994 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Judy XC extended travel front fork, air/oil fox in rear. 24th gear is 10tooth power ring. Been up to 54 mph off road, not bad considering my state is not hilly.

I love switchbacks and technical rides. I bomb corners and downhills like a madman. Thanks to my Troy Lee helmet - I am still a alive. I ride alone.

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

floodhound2
∑lectronic counselor
∑lectronic counselor

Post by floodhound2 »

I am a downhill rider. I enjoy peddling to the top of a mountain. Well more like huff, puff, and curse myself all the way to the top, then fire down the mountain till my vision blurs. I own a custom bike that I picked up new a few years back. Its not the best but does the trick.

I need to get a better chain system. I toy with ideas to improve my bike experience, often thinking about designing a hydraulic bike (removing the chain altogether). I have already designed a GPS, acceleration and deceleration recorder that I made. I figure next time I crash ill know the deceleration that I sustained and log it on Google maps. *thumb*
₣£ΘΘĐĦΘŮŇĐ

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

check out the helmet mounted digicams, they are cheap and sturdy.

Yea for downhill racing - you have the problem of chain bounce - the hard impacts of downhill riding can knock the chain off the gears. They use a chain tensioner to keep the chain tight during cruise.

I had considered why not a different material beside chain for the drivetrain - why not a mesh kevlar belt? This would have no weight to be effected by gravity and bounce, it wont rust, it can be very quiet and tight once the stretch was out of it.

I too love bombing downhills - hence the motto - "For every Uphill, there is always a cool dowhhill!" Top speed of 54 mph.

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

I sadly ride most on concrete and field roads, no trails around here...but it can also be fun to shred through the city and to annoy traffic participants... :lol: I have a hardtail, so it's more for XC and not really for downhill (ok, some weirdos do downhill with hardtails, but you have to be an excellent rider then).

it was the first time I rode my bike in winter also in winter, with the right tires it's actually no problem, just the proper clothes are damn expensive... :roll:

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

yep - fat tire is actually pretty good in the snow, I even rode across a small pond.

Its the damn windchill - on a day with only 3mph wind, add a bicycle moving at 20 mhp - thats a 23 mhp windchill!

Enjoy it for awhile, in spring - you can't really ride off road - as its too soft and muddy (damages trails).

Pavement is still fun - I switch out my tires to a harder material and less knobs.

DNR
-

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

yeah, that's why I got a jacket and pants that are 100% draftproof in front and 80% on the backside, that way you stay warm but it's still breathable....of course that stuff isn't cheap, 250 Euro, but it was really worth it. I've been out at temperatus down to -15 degrees celsius and with a warm 2nd layer plus functional 3rd layer it was all fine... :D

if you are looking for really good tires for pavement rides and hard dry terrain give the Maxxis Holy Roller a try, I really love them, awesome grip in curves...of course you are pretty fucked with them when you go into deep mud:

http://www.maxxis.com/Bicycle/Urban/Holy-Roller.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;