Hunting Bows

Hobbies that have no own category (yet).
maboroshi
Dr. Mab
Dr. Mab

Hunting Bows

Post by maboroshi »

Figured I would post a pic of my hunting bow... Not for hunting animals but the deadliest game of all MAN!

LOL j/k

Anyway here is my bow and arrows

*cheers

Mabo :-)

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Re: Hunting Bows

Post by bad_brain »

I like bows man, especially the "old school" ones without pulleys... :D

on what distance you can hit with it?

maboroshi
Dr. Mab
Dr. Mab

Post by maboroshi »

I can hit a running human (I think the guy said) 400 yards away *shrugs I forget haven't really tried at long range yet mostly just shooting targets in thick under brush already lost an arrow or two :D

joebox
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Post by joebox »

I remember these in history class when the indians were using them and got their american land over taken by the european cowboys pretty awesome
Award winning Unlimited Web Hosting
$1.81/month http://www.topratedhostservice.com
3 free domains | $100.00 Free advertising credits | Free Custom website design

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

We use the compound bow and crossbow for deer hunting.

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

joebox

Post by joebox »

deer tastes pretty descent
Award winning Unlimited Web Hosting
$1.81/month http://www.topratedhostservice.com
3 free domains | $100.00 Free advertising credits | Free Custom website design

Hiram

Post by Hiram »

maboroshi; is your bow viable if protection is required in the jungle?
Can you kill an anaconda with it? If not the hunter can become the
hunted and join the food chain. 8O

lilrofl
Siliconoclast
Siliconoclast

Post by lilrofl »

WOW man, I feel like I've known you for years now, and I never knew you were into bow shooting!

I used to make old style bows as a kid in the boy scouts (yeah yeah, he was a fu**ing boyscout) I love bow shooting, and building. Most of the ones I made were Native American style small bows, many without any reflex at all, but occasionally you can find a really nice piece of red oak at the lumber store which would make a decent reflex bow for super cheep.

Anyhow, that looks like a takedown bow, is it a Kodiak?
knuffeltjes voor mijn knuffel
[img]http://i911.photobucket.com/albums/ac320/stuphsack/Sig.jpg[/img]

maboroshi
Dr. Mab
Dr. Mab

Post by maboroshi »

From what I understand back in the day boy scouts was pretty awesome, although I think it's more to do with your instructors in it and location.

My archer friend had purchased this particular bow and given it to me for work I had done for him. He makes crossbows and bows among other things, and studied with someone who was pretty famous from what I understand. Although this person has passed away now.

And well I am into most traditional/non traditional/unorthodox weaponry. However not really big on the gun type weapons although they are really fun to shoot. I am honestly scared of what I feel when I hold a weapon like that, if that makes sense.

I am currently working on building chain mail armor with another friend of mine. Which is something I have wanted to do for a long time.

I should send you this video of me doing some nawajutsu I really enjoy the Kyoketsu Shoge it's a tool that makes sense to me. I just need to find more people to practice with.

It is very interesting that you have made bows as well. I am afraid I do not know what brand of bow this is, as it currently sits at a friends place (if that is what you referred to when asking if it is a Kodiak). I wish I had more places to practice, I am not very good.

One of the ways I have practiced shooting with friends (more like game play) is we built a wooden deer using old Rokushakubo and potato sacks. We have a game where we take this animal off and leave trails of popcorn and when we see it, we call out, then fire the arrow from where we are standing.

It is rarely a clear shot to hit the target. Underbrush, trees and various other things can get in the way to make it difficult to shoot. Like in real life.

As a side note.

There is a book on archery that implements strategies from Arabian countries from shooting techniques that are pretty old. I can not remember the name of the book but if I had the space to practice I would use this book as a guideline.

A person who implemented these techniques can fire 10 arrows before the first one hits the ground. A video of him doing this is on youtube.

Anyway speak soon :-)

lilrofl
Siliconoclast
Siliconoclast

Post by lilrofl »

I know the guy you're talking about, Lars Anderson... he's kind of reinventing a technique of holding arrows in the shooting hand. There's a girl archer Iza Privezenceva who has a technique of holding arrows on the belly of the bow, it is also very fast.

Chain mail is fun to make also, although I've never made anything worth showing off I am familiar with the basic 4&1 and 8&2 patterns. I find learning old skills like that are relaxing, and add a depth of character I enjoy :D

Ever thought about ramping up chain mail with scaling? It's not as cheap as just chain mail, because you order the scales; but it produces a really nice finished product.
knuffeltjes voor mijn knuffel
[img]http://i911.photobucket.com/albums/ac320/stuphsack/Sig.jpg[/img]

maboroshi
Dr. Mab
Dr. Mab

Post by maboroshi »

Scaling? Hmm my friend mentioned something like that as well. As a side note we ran into a lady who makes medieval style leather and wool padding for armour like chainmaille through another friend.

Might inquire to her when we have a suit of chainmaille created.

Speak soon my friend!

And well we have known each other for years :-)

ph0bYx
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by ph0bYx »

Hunting your fellow man for sports, I approve *thumb*