HIFI Speakers

Hobbies that have no own category (yet).
Artificial Interceptor
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

HIFI Speakers

Post by Artificial Interceptor »

Well in june or july i will go and buy some new speakers i've givin the B&W DM686 a lot of thoughts, i've allso givin' these speakers a lot of thoughts :
Dali Ikon 1:
Category: Compact
• Treble: Hybrid Tweeter 28 mm soft dome / ribbon)
• Bass / midrange: 5
• Frequency Response-3dB): 46-30000 Hz
• Impedance: 8 ohms
• Sensitivity: 87 db
• Size: 35 x 15 x 25.2 cm HxWxD)
• Weight: 5.2 kg
• Bass reflex design
• Parts Spectrum: 2900/14.000 Hz

Dali Lektor 3:
Category: Compact Speakers
• Tweeter: 28 mm soft dome with neodymium magnet system
• Bass / midrange: 6.5 "
• Frequency Response-3dB): 48-27000 Hz
• Impedance: 6 ohms
• Sensitivity: 88 dB
• Wall Mount Included: Rubber Feet
• Dimensions: 38.7 x 20.0 x 25.5 cm (HxWxD)
• Weight: 6.4 kg
• 2-way bass reflex design
• Parts Frequencies: 2800 Hz

Arcam Muso:
• Category: Compact Speakers
• Tweeter: 1 "ultralight aluminum dome with neodymium magnet system
• Bass / midrange: 3.5 "polymer / aluminum
• Frequency Response-3dB): 70-20000 Hz
• Impedance: 4 ohms
• Sensitivity: 85 dB
• Wall Mount Included: Rubber Sheet
• Dimensions: 23.0 x 12.0 x 14.0 cm (HxWxD)
• Weight: 2.9 kg
• 2-way bass reflex design
• Housing in aluminum / steel
• Crossover frequency: 2500 Hz
• Magnetically shielded
• Wall and floor stand available as an option

Let me know what you guys think ...
Sincerly Artificial Interceptor [i]aka[/i] Plexrod
Music is Art!!.. Hacking is Art!!

Broken Angel

Re: HIFI Speakers

Post by Broken Angel »

Well, my frnd I think amongst the three Dali Lektor 3 is the best one. :D Hope you think even ;) njoy mate... have a BLASTTTT.......! \:D/ *thumb* and yeah I should also be invited when you blow the speaker to full and rip off the roof :D :D want to hear them too :D
God Blessed Me With Forgiveness And I Forgive You With My Revenge...!

-Broken Angel

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

yeah, the Lektor 3 is a good one, so I would set the Lektor and the DM686 as candidates, forget the Arcam one, it's not playing in the same league as the others.
the Ikon is also no real option, simply because it's the same category as the B&W, but with the B&W being better in any aspect.

where will the speakers be placed (on a stand with at least 1m to each wall, in the corners of the room next to the wall, or even in a shelf)?
and what amplifier you decided for?

the B&W one is better than the Dali one if you just look at the technical specs, but depending on the parameters above one of the Dali ones can still be the better choice. if you place the same speaker in the corner of a room or on stands away from the wall makes a huge difference:
if you place a speaker in the corner the walls act as bass horn so a speaker with a skinny bass is better, if you place the same speaker on stands away from the wall there will be a lack of bass. also vice versa: if you place a speaker with a beefy bass on stands it sounds good, but if you place it in the corner you will experience ugly bass peaks at some frequencies.

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

smaller diameter bass speakers offer quick response to bass. Bigger bass speakers can offer a louder punch, but can lose quick response needed for certain music types.

For example - Rap/hip hop music is best with 12" or 10" speakers as they can 'snap' out powerful bass sounds. But for Rock, which has less sharper bass peaks, a 15" subwoofer can sound better.

Pick the gear that will be best for your type of listening.

don't skimp on the cables, buy the fat, high quality cables for the speakers - at volume - you can overdrive the capacity of small wires and miss out on the full range of your speaker's abilities. If you have a shitty stereo, high quality speakers are not going to help.

Make sure the first song you play after you hook all this up is "Turbo Rock" by the Meatmen

[youtube][/youtube]

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

Artificial Interceptor

Post by Artificial Interceptor »

b-b: where will the speakers be placed (on a stand with at least 1m to each wall, in the corners of the room next to the wall, or even in a shelf)?
and what amplifier you decided for?
Well the speakers are its going to be mounted on a flat wall, and i decided for a Denon PMA 510AE...
DNR: don't skimp on the cables, buy the fat, high quality cables for the speakers - at volume - you can overdrive the capacity of small wires and miss out on the full range of your speaker's abilities. If you have a shitty stereo, high quality speakers are not going to help.
I am going to use some wire that is 4 square millimeters thick copper wire
DNR: Make sure the first song you play after you hook all this up is "Turbo Rock" by the Meatmen

I'm sorry, but i'm not the kinda guy that listens that much to amature punk metal

Well i think the Dali Lektor 3 could be a good choice, but the DM 686 is also a good choice... hmm :-k
Sincerly Artificial Interceptor [i]aka[/i] Plexrod
Music is Art!!.. Hacking is Art!!

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

go for the Lektor 3, the power supply of the Denon amp is not stable enough to give the B&W speakers the control they need... :wink:

I also recommend to get a good speaker cable, and imo its a must to use it with 4mm banana plugs on the speakers...and not by clamping the raw cables, it's just an extra of maybe 20 bucks for the plugs but it's very positive for the connection quality and you don't have to cut off 5cm of the cable every year because the ends are oxidized.

for good cables I recommend to have a look at Kimber Cables, the 4VS is a really good but still affordable one (about 15 bucks/meter):
http://www.kimber.com/products/loudspeakercables/vs/4/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:wink:

P.S. and don't ever call The Meatmen "amateur punk metal" again.... :P