access to my stuff

All about creating websites!
Kirk
suck-o enforcer
suck-o enforcer

access to my stuff

Post by Kirk »

I am trying to figure out a way to allow certain people access to my stuff on my computer without creating a website but still having a URL. i would like to have a folder or folders that i grant access to vs access to my entire computer. any ideas on what i can do?

maboroshi
Dr. Mab
Dr. Mab

Re: access to my stuff

Post by maboroshi »

Set up an SSH server ;)

Can be secure and will do what you need

Edit * Or FTP

CommonStray
Forum Assassin
Forum Assassin

Post by CommonStray »

SSH would be the way to go for this to be honest, and OpenSSH implements a secure protocol for FTP (SFTP), not to mention is not that difficult to configure.

You create a group that only has read access to the folders you specify, and users in the group the same way. That way they should only be able to download, and not upload or execute, or go anywhere else for that matter

Im not completely sure about how permissions carry over for sys linked files/folders though, because optimally you would want to just keep the user in their home directory and let them access a global user sys linked folder there so they only can be in their home dir and that dir and not have to let them cd higher and into other folders looking around.

More importantly however it really depends who your planning to provide this access to.

Kirk
suck-o enforcer
suck-o enforcer

Post by Kirk »

what would be the best way to do this? i have cygwin installed and am looking though some docs but im not finding too much that is helping me. any other ideas?

CommonStray
Forum Assassin
Forum Assassin

Post by CommonStray »

Well, if your on Windows you can still setup an SSH server, or an FTP server

Heres an article that goes over putting OpenSSH server on Windows 7
http://pigtail.net/LRP/printsrv/cygwin-sshd.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Kirk
suck-o enforcer
suck-o enforcer

Post by Kirk »

I read that one. It doesnt explain it right. It will show options that dont come up, etc. I need one that explains it for real dummies. Ill go through it again right now though. Thank you.

maboroshi
Dr. Mab
Dr. Mab

Post by maboroshi »

try this its different than OpenSSH but achieves the same goal

http://www.techmalaya.com/2009/08/05/se ... -freesshd/